Volumes 2 and 3

thegatorgirl00

I know that volume 1 isn't even out yet, but does anyone have any idea how long I'll have to wait in between each volume? The state of the Sanderson doesn't say the projected release of the later volumes. I also have no idea how long it takes to write a graphic novel. Should I expect the next one after SA3? Before? Does anyone have any idea? 

Well, it's taken two years since the initial announcement of the graphic novels to get the first one out, so it shouldn't take longer than 4 years to the last two out. And I'd expect it to take significantly less time; I'm also not very knowledgeable on comic creation, but I'd think they can be writing the second while the inking is done for the first, so there's overlap in production. I seem to recall them saying one-year gaps for the remainder of the trilogy, but I can't find where that came from, so maybe I'm making it up.

50 minutes ago, Kythis said:

I think the creation of V2 and V3 depend on how successful V1 is.

No, volumes 1-3 are all based on the original prose draft and all are going to be released.  It is the adaptation of the planned second and third books in the series that will depend on how the first three are received.

1 hour ago, WeiryWriter said:

No, volumes 1-3 are all based on the original prose draft and all are going to be released.  It is the adaptation of the planned second and third books in the series that will depend on how the first three are received.

What?  First I've heard of this.  

2 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

Absolutely correct. Sanderson said this at one point, but I don't remember where.

He's always said that it would be three graphic novels; in last year's State of the Sanderson, he specified that all three were adapting White Sand: http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2015/

We know there are two planned sequels, from Brandon's long-winded explanations of his future Cosmere plans. But that could always change; he might condense it, the way he's condensing his plans for Dragonsteel (down from 5 books to 3). Even if the structure of the White Sand trilogy stays unchanged, that doesn't mean that there will be 3 graphic novels per book; they might do 2 graphic novels, or 4 graphic novels, depending on the length of the sequels.

15 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

Oh was that it? I thought it was only going to be the one trilogy of comics. Huh.

• 1 month later...

White Sand the novel is already written, has been for a long time, so we aren't necessarily waiting on Branderson for these releases. I mean he obviously plays a part in their creation but Rik Hoskin is the actual comic writer, plus the artists that do their work.