Enhanced Spoiler Tag

Argent

So, now that we have brand new a snazzy software the forums, I wanted to (re?)visit an old idea I had, but I can't remember whether I shared - adding an optional text to a spoiler block's title so it display what it is a spoiler for. I often see spoiler blocks that don't specify what they are spoiling - and while this doesn't bother me personally, as I have read everything, I could see people accidentally getting spoiled because of this lack of information. 

Is this now possible?

16 minutes ago, Morzathoth said:

It was possible on the old version, I happen to know this because I am a member on a forum that still uses the old software.

That seems like a nonstandard add-on for IPB 3 that I was not familiar with.

It's definitely not on by default here. Maybe there's an add-on here but I have found IPS4 to lack many addons.

I know this does not solve the problem entirely but I make a habit of writing what my spoiler is about.

e.g.

This will spoil how tall I am.

Spoiler

5'6" (with shoes)

I will now spoil something about Mistborn

Spoiler

Vin is actually a robot!

And so forth. Perhaps we could add that to the list of guidelines for using the site? Warn people that if they don't spoil their spoiler tag we will force them to read aloud the Twilight series to prisoners in their free time?

Edited by CaptainRyan

Just want to try something...

This is a standard spoiler tag

<div class="ipsSpoiler" data-ipsspoiler="">
  <div class="ipsSpoiler_header">
  <span>Spoiler</span>
  </div>

<div class="ipsSpoiler_contents">
  <p>
  Using HTML source
  </p>
  </div>

</div>

<div class="ipsSpoiler" data-ipsspoiler="">
  <div class="ipsSpoiler_header ipsSpoiler_open">  <a href="#" data-action="toggleSpoiler">&nbsp;</a>  <span>Hide contents</span> </div>
<div class="ipsSpoiler_contents" style="display: block;" animating="false"><p>This is a standard spoiler tag</p></div>
</div>

Hmm ok nevermind. Wanted to see if it would parse or block the html for a spoiler the way it lets table code pass.

Edited by Claincy

14 minutes ago, Eki said:

I don't think this would really make people mark their spoilers better. If people think about it, they'll do as @CaptainRyan described, but if they don't, they won't use the neater system either. Unless there's some explicit reminder.

If they went with the plugin option, it's pretty straight forward to write in the description - the title of the spoiler is editable, and I think if they saw others do it, they'd get the idea fairly quikly