Sanderson Vs Marvel

BrightVoid

This is just a general topic for comparing marvel to sanderson.  You can suggest fights between 2 characters, interactions between objects, and comparisons between the 2. 

To start, what happens when a shardblade hits the Captains shield?

For a fight, Iron man vs Wax.

I think that since the Cap's shield isn't magical (invested) in any way, the shardblade would cut right through it.

However, if it was Thor's Mjolnir, I believe that it would react similar to shardplate.

but could you lash thors hammer if you were worthy?

Yes if you are worthy, probably not if you weren't (not sure if there is enough stormlight in existence to get that hammer off the ground if it don't want to lol). My boss keeps throwing this one at me, and it frustrates him lol. What would happen if absorbing man touched Vin? Absorbing man can mimic any form of matter or energy via physical contact. He has absorbed and become energy thrown at him, and even absorbed thor's hammer. So he thinks he has me check mated. But then my response is nothing. He would become a mistborn, but as he had not ingested any metal, he has nothing to burn lol. 

Edited by Pathfinder

This is just a general topic for comparing marvel to sanderson.  You can suggest fights between 2 characters, interactions between objects, and comparisons between the 2. 

For a fight, Iron man vs Wax.

Cap's shield has energy redirection properties so I'd say it holds up to a shardblade

If Wax manaees to get close enough to Iron man he can crush him, but I think Iron man will just snipe him from a mile away with a missile or something too fast for Wax to push

Cap's shield has energy redirection properties so I'd say it holds up to a shardblade

If Wax manaees to get close enough to Iron man he can crush him, but I think Iron man will just snipe him from a mile away with a missile or something too fast for Wax to push

Well here is a question, the energy redirection is regarding either kinetic (so physical force actually striking it), or energy in a plasmic sense. So since shardblades phase when they cut inorganic armor, is it really striking the surface for it to be kinetic, or energy? Not sure if that answer is clear cut :::badum tisssss:::::

Marvel is based on Energy and Infinity Stones.

Cosmere is based on Investiture and Shards.

Seriously it's meaningless to compare Shardblade, Shield and Mjonir. Since all of them are considered invincible.

But Shield should be able to stand Shardblades, for only Vandorium(wrong spell) are only harmed by their own kind and able to absorb all kinds of energy.

Marvel is based on Energy and Infinity Stones.

Cosmere is based on Investiture and Shards.

Seriously it's meaningless to compare Shardblade, Shield and Mjonir. Since all of them are considered invincible.

But Shield should be able to stand Shardblades, for only Vandorium(wrong spell) are only harmed by their own kind and able to absorb all kinds of energy.

Actually Shield (which is made of vibranium-steel alloy IIRC) can absorb kinetic energy which is why it is very hard to destroy by normal means. Cosmic or divine entities has done so, however.

The Shardblade would have no problem whatsoever with the shield, as they cut on all three Realms. They do not meet any resistance, because they're primarily slicing Cognitive and Spiritual Aspects of the object.

Mjolnir however seems Invested, so there could be a problem...

The question of Wax vs. Ironman is interesting. I think Wax would ultimately lose though it wouldn't be easy for Stark. The fact that he shoots plasma based projectiles I don't invite if Wax could push on them or not. Rockets would be useless, Wax's bubble he uses pushes bullets, I don't think he'd have trouble pushing rockets

Wax can't really hurt Stark without getting in really close and crushing him with his weight or impaling him into a metal spike via Steelpushing. Both of which are unlikely to happen.

What about a Marvel gauntlet for a generic Mistborn, then Kelsier/Elend & Vin together, and then Marsh?

Unless we're going with MCU captain america his shield is partly made of asgardian metal, plus the beings that shattered cap's shield in the past are a way out of shardblade weight class.

Edited by asterion137

12 minutes ago, asterion137 said:

Unless we're going with MCU captain america his shield is partly made of asgardian metal, plus the beings that shattered cap's shield in the past are a way out of shardblade weight class.

But I still don't think it comes down to "weight" class. The beings that shattered it, did so by attacking it with energy or physical attacks. A shardblade phases through an object it cuts. So is there any energy that the shield is actively trying to absorb and redirect? I think not. The asgardian metal is only much much much much much later in the comic books after it had been broken numerous times by that point. The shield, much like iron man's armor has had various incarnations and compositions. There was even a point where Cap just used a plain ole steel shield. 

I like how this thread is talking about like, Invested objects vs superhero weapons. Meanwhile I'm sitting over here twiddling my thumbs and trying not to reveal the MCU/Cosmere crossovers and connections I did before. There were two. Both were troublesome for very different reasons.

I mean, listen, it's not my fault that I've got a thing for quiet younger brother princes who grew up with scholarly and magical tendencies in a society that glorifies a strong, warrior masculine ideal. Who have popular older brothers, surrounded by friends, who exemplify what a warrior prince should be. And while the younger brothers care about their older brothers and love them, there's probably some latent jealousy that they're the outcast and others don't like them the same way. Who then discover a horrible secret that they may actually be the enemy of their entire society and everything they've grown up with and cared for would be at risk if other people found out.

I'm not saying that Renarin might see himself as "the monster that parents tell their children about at night" but if seeing the future is "of the Voidbringers," well...

(I'm leaving. I will see myself out. I will go be garbage somewhere else now.)

About Wax and Ironman, Ironman can fly much higher then Wax so I think Wax wont be able to come close enough to hit Ironman so he will probably will win even without try that much

By the way Shardbaldes can cut through Shardplates if you hit it enough so I guess that even Shield will eventually break

Just thinking about it narratively, it would cheapen the uniqueness of Captain America's shield if a weapon there are hundreds of could cut it. But it might make for a good scene if it had withstood a ton of blows from dead shardblades, but then got sliced by a living one.

My wife attended a signing by Sanderson in San Francisco last year and she asked him a question I once pondered out loud to her: "What would happen if a shardblade and a lightsaber hit each other?"

Sanderson first clarified if this was occurring in the Cosmere or in the Star Wars Universe to which my wife responded "The Cosmere." He then wrote in my copy of Words of Radiance: "They would bounce off one another!"

So, I think it is Brandon's view that, if "magical" items from other fictional works were brought into the Cosmere, it is assumed they are Invested to some extent and would react with Cosmere items in a fashion similar to how they work in their own universe. This leads me to believe that Captain America's shield would be able to block a shardblade but ymmv.

32 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

My wife attended a signing by Sanderson in San Francisco last year and she asked him a question I once pondered out loud to her: "What would happen if a shardblade and a lightsaber hit each other?"

Sanderson first clarified if this was occurring in the Cosmere or in the Star Wars Universe to which my wife responded "The Cosmere." He then wrote in my copy of Words of Radiance: "They would bounce off one another!"

So, I think it is Brandon's view that, if "magical" items from other fictional works were brought into the Cosmere, it is assumed they are Invested to some extent and would react with Cosmere items in a fashion similar to how they work in their own universe. This leads me to believe that Captain America's shield would be able to block a shardblade but ymmv.

Wait, what? But lightsabers aren't magical at all! it isn't some 'Force artifact', it's just a laser!

On the other hand, Mjolnir would surely be Invested, while adamantium and vibranium and other technological stuff wouldn't.

Just now, Oversleep said:

Wait, what? But lightsabers aren't magical at all! it isn't some 'Force artifact', it's just a laser!

On the other hand, Mjolnir would surely be Invested, while adamantium and vibranium and other technological stuff wouldn't.

My interpretation of Brandon's response was is that any item/character/whatever from an outside work that is placed in the Cosmere is treated as close to its original function in its universe as possible. 

E.g. a lightsaber is a weapon that cuts through anything. Well hey, a shardblade just happens to be a weapon that cuts through anything. What happens when two lightsabers collide? Bouncy things! Ergo, when a shardblade and a lightsaber collide? BOUNCY THINGS!

Obviously, I do not think Brandon would try and enforce his personal viewpoint on anyone who wants to write fan-fics involving outside material but, if this thread is looking for some sort of "canon" answer, then I humbly present Brandon's response to a similar situation as evidence of why Captain America's shield would block a shardblade.

Well, lightsabers are supposed to have some Force-crystal thing (don't ask me, ask my friend. He's the Star Wars nerd, and I'm the Cosmere nerd) to direct the energy that makes up the blade of the lightsaber, so I think it's fair to assume that there's some Investiture affecting the lightsaber. Cap's shield, however, is just really overpowered metal.