Tension and Cohesion - theory

Szmit

I am sure most of us at least once wondered how do this two powers work. Not only these two seem very cryptic, but also there are almost no clues about them.
The only thing I managed to find out about them for sure are some WoB (which I can't find anymore) that tension (if I remember correctly) can allow you to press your hand into a rock.
That left me wondering even more, because the cohesion is what keeps a rock together, not tension.
Only today I found out a possible answer to this question. The tension is the force that interact with object pressing towards another object, and provides the force of reaction. Then imagine that we take this force away. Suddenly objest starts act like rubber - if it has a lot of cohesion and wants to stay intact regardless the bending, or if it has small cohesion like for example glass, it would liquefy.
On the other hand if you add tension to rubber and water it would start behaving like rock and glass.
Cohesion on the other hand would allow you to determine how difficult it is to break something apart. (Rubber to water, glass to rock).

Edited by Szmit

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2016 at 1:27 AM, Szmit said:

I am sure most of us at least once wondered how do this two powers work. Not only these two seem very cryptic, but also there are almost no clues about them.
The only thing I managed to find out about them for sure are some WoB (which I can't find anymore) that tension (if I remember correctly) can allow you to press your hand into a rock.
That left me wondering even more, because the cohesion is what keeps a rock together, not tension.
Only today I found out a possible answer to this question. The tension is the force that interact with object pressing towards another object, and provides the force of reaction. Then imagine that we take this force away. Suddenly objest starts act like rubber - if it has a lot of cohesion and wants to stay intact regardless the bending, or if it has small cohesion like for example glass, it would liquefy.
On the other hand if you add tension to rubber and water it would start behaving like rock and glass.
Cohesion on the other hand would allow you to determine how difficult it is to break something apart. (Rubber to water, glass to rock).

It was Cohesion which would allow for molecular manipulation on that level.

@Shadeshadow227

Yeah, Somewhere in June I found the WoB that I was talking in the OP (but I forgot to update this topic). I was mistaken, and the Cohesion could have allow you to press a hand into a rock not the Tension. In fact Tension beeing able to do things like that would be very counterintuitive, and would require very elaborate rules, like for example the ones I've made.

I think from a while that Cohesion Surges allow you to operate physich trasformation, like the Soulcast operates chimical-neclear trasformation.

Probably Cohesion is a relative low Stormlight expensive surge, instead of Soulcast

• Chaos locked this topic