Alloy of Law Question

jbanner3

I recently finished The Alloy of Law, which was amazing, and i was mildly confused on something. The character Miles can instantly heal himself because he is a twin born, and uses gold for both. this apparently gives him insane healing powers. Now maybe this was explained and i just missed it, but why does having the ability to use gold for allomancy as well make him have insane healing powers? Normally he would have to fill is metalminds for a long time but he never seems to have to do that.

Edited by jbanner3

I recently finished The Alloy of Law, which was amazing, and i was mildly confused on something. The character Miles can instantly heal himself because he is a twin born, and uses gold for both. this apparently gives him insane healing powers. Now maybe this was explained and i just missed it, but why does having the ability to use gold for allomancy as well make him have insane healing powers? Normally he would have to fill is metalminds for a long time but he never seems to have to do that.

Remember how The Lord Ruler could store his youth in atiumminds, then burn the filled atiumminds to get exponentially more youth out than he put in?  Miles is doing that with gold (the health-storage metalminds).  Then, he could put the excessive amounts of magic healing into another goldmind, and then burn that for another increase on top of the original, and so on until the exponential amounts of stored health gave him the healing factor you see in Alloy of Law.  The "floor" on how much you can store into a metalmind at a time is a safety feature so that the process of storing won't kill you, so it wouldn't apply in Miles' case.  

This is called compounding.  When you have an both abilities of the same metal you can use allomancy to fuel the feruchemical power.  They fill a metalmind and burn it with allomancy, this hacks the feruchemical ability so that it's end positive.  When burned the user is getting a higher return on their investment, so they don't have to spend all the time filling.  There is still a bunch of stuff we don't know about compounding, and I could have misphrased some of this, I don't quite understand it all myself.

For more information see the wiki: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Compounding

(this article hasn't been updated with information for the later books yet, so there are no spoilers beyond Alloy at this point)

Another question on Miles' compounding:

I remember Miles burning some gold and thinking about his image created by the metal. But in the way he thought about it it seemed to me that this image of him doesn't appear if he is compounding health. Can anyone enlighten me if while compounding a feruchemical power the allomantic effect of the metal doesn't happen?

This is called compounding.  When you have an both abilities of the same metal you can use allomancy to fuel the feruchemical power.  They fill a metalmind and burn it with allomancy, this hacks the feruchemical ability so that it's end positive.  When burned the user is getting a higher return on their investment, so they don't have to spend all the time filling.  There is still a bunch of stuff we don't know about compounding, and I could have misphrased some of this, I don't quite understand it all myself.

For more information see the wiki: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Compounding

(this article hasn't been updated with information for the later books yet, so there are no spoilers beyond Alloy at this point)

Well you definitely helped me understand it a bit better than before.

I remember Miles burning some gold and thinking about his image created by the metal. But in the way he thought about it it seemed to me that this image of him doesn't appear if he is compounding health. Can anyone enlighten me if while compounding a feruchemical power the allomantic effect of the metal doesn't happen?

Could it have something to do with intent? I mean, I know allomancy doesn't require intent(I think), but feruchemy does. So maybe it's just him burning the infused feruchemical gold with the intent of getting the healing effects, and not the allomantic effects. I honestly have no idea. Here I thought Allomancy was confusing. Compounding beats it bloody then drags it through the streets.

What's happening is that the Feruchemical charge in the metalmind "filters" the power, so that the Investiture that comes from Preservation via Allomancy becomes transformed into Feruchemical power. Putting power into a metalmind and then burning essentially creates a new Allomantic metal that gives that attribute when burned.

He burned gold that wasn't a metalmind to see the images of himself, right?

This is how I understood it as well. My headcanon is that Miles was burning gold that was not part of a metalmind; e.g. maybe he had ingested some flakes earlier just for this purpose? Or perhaps he can burn portions of a not-completely-filled gold metalmind?

This is how I understood it as well. My headcanon is that Miles was burning gold that was not part of a metalmind; e.g. maybe he had ingested some flakes earlier just for this purpose? Or perhaps he can burn portions of a not-completely-filled gold metalmind?

Well he needed some not metalmind gold in his stomach.

When He compounded, he burned his metalmind in his stomach to get more Health, the extra health have to put somewhere. Of course he may uses the external Metalminds (and probably He did it) but also he needed to fill other burnable gold.

I don't think he went to home, melt his ring to then eat it. If he is smart he puts some Health in other Gold bead in his stomach to compound more.

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic