children of the medallions

vertigo 1

what effect would the medallions have on the children of those who were using them? the medallions are all unkeyed nicrosol metalminds that contain the ability to use a specific power and another metalmind that contains the attribute that they can use. So if somebody who could never give birth to a metalborn was given a medallion, could they then have a Metalborn child?

Not sure about how the feruchemical part works but IIRC, storing allomantic abilities in a nicrosil mind just stores the investure you get when burning a metal, it doesn't give you the ability to burn.

Maybe if you used a medallion during conception it might result in a metalborn child.

Now we have to find what kind of power are useful in that context  :ph34r:

The Future of Scadrial is in the "Performance Improvement through temporarly Metallic Arts"... Someone may make a mountain of cash  B)

Edited by Yata

Now we have to find what kind of power are useful in that context :ph34r:

The Future of Scadrial is in the "Performance Improvement through temporarly Metallic Arts"... Someone may make a mountain of cash B)

I feel medallions are more important to society than that. Airships, for example, would not be possible at the scale we've witnessed. Your entire crew would have to be iron ferrings (I think the term was Skimmer?), with one being a coinshot to kickstart the propulsion. There are, what, three Crashers in Elendel history including Wax himself? I suppose you can set it up so a full weighted coinshot can just jump off afterwards and have the crew brace for lurching, but if something happened to your coinshots on staff you're not going anywhere. It's a rusting pain in the rear.

With medallions and the Southern society, you can just be careful to keep the stock of charged medallions maintained (using whatever method they use to charge them) at the airship ports or next to whatever other ettmetal devices they may have, and as long as they have the manpower the device can be operated regardless of who the people are. You don't need to search for one specific rare trait from among millions of people, convince them to take the job, and train them to do it.

But that's kind of off topic I guess. But in the grand scheme of things the influence of natural metalborn are somewhat at risk here. Having them is good and all, but not necessary. And it's finally not completely useless to be a duralumin gnat or Soulbearer! Demand is gonna go up for those.

Now let's take it one step further and think of the military capabilities. You could reduce the weight of supplies and we all of a sudden have an army of coinshots and pewterarms.

This also makes room for sports requiring different ferrings and mistings. Imagine a version of football with pewterarms coinshots skimmers and pretty much all of the metallic arts.

This also makes room for fitness and conditioning. Dont want extra calories rent a bendalloy mind and the extra calories can be sold to people looking for a really quick meal.

As well as tourism rent a tinmind and enjoy the view. Maybe even use a coppermind to give almost a virtual reality experience.

Sorry for the rant and going off topic i tend to get excited about these things.

This also makes room for sports requiring different ferrings and mistings. Imagine a version of football with pewterarms coinshots skimmers and pretty much all of the metallic arts.

I was wondering how Brandon was going to make allomantic sports without going the pro-bending route.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the Terrisfolk's past with the Lord Ruler's breeding program I could see that conversation going poorly: "Uh, so we need 16 people to conceive while each wearing a different medallion....for science....and then try it again while both parties wear the same medallion....and then again while wearing different medallions...and then maybe one more time while wearing the medallions that have 2 powers. It's going to be a busy decade...Any volunteers?" I could see a bunch of lonely dockworkers being eager to help with that experiment actually.

• Chaos locked this topic