Super wild speculation. (Maybe Stormlight spoilers)

Djarskublar

Here goes a quick pseudo TL;DR to give you an idea what I'm talking about beforehand. Adonalsium was shattered on Roshar. The Rythmns are a memory of that. This has to do with the magic of the listeners as a distinct species.

I think there is some tenuous support. As far as I know, we don't know where adonalsium was shattered. Lots of the people present were likely from Yolen, but there isn't anything I know of to say that it happened there. Roshar is the big deal planet for at least until SA arc one is finished (not really evidence, I know, but it could be a correlationy thing). If the shattering did take place there, maybe there was a cosmereic noise made by it similar to the Big Bang. Then the listeners evolved to be able to hear it. This noise is different, in that it shattered sorta as well. This is why the Rythmns have different aspects that allow for different listener forms. The inherent intents of the Rythmns allow the listeners to find and capture spren that help them emulate the intent of the given rythmn. This is also modified by what spren is used, such as a spren of honor cultivation or odium. I bet that mateform is a form based on a spren of Cultivation, for example. It just makes so much sense. Taken all together, anyway. Any individual piece is pretty suspect.

I believe the Rythmns are external to the listeners. Always have, actually. They are just impossible any other way. The listeners seem to be able to tune any rhythm regardless of how long it has been since last tuning it. I dare you to try and do that with your favorite song. Put it on loop for an hour, and without thinking about it in the interim, walk away only to come back into hearing range singing it exactly in time and at the same spot as the speaker. There has to be some Cosmere reason for the rythmns. And for that matter, ditto as to why the listeners are so good at tuning them. This just seems like a relatively reasonable explanation for what they are. This is why there are specific forms as well. I would bet money there are sixteen 'good' (honor) forms and sixteen odium forms. And probably sixteen more for cultivation. As well as a new set or two if Sazed decides to swing by and invest on Roshar.

Listener sDNA is different from a human's, obviously. This suggests to me that they would get different magic from the same shard on the same planet. Their magic as natives of Roshar is related to the Rythmns that were created there. Adding more shards gives them access to more forms on Roshar. These forms get some killer awesome powers. Such as a hyperactive libido, or the ability to ignore Union rules and Workform really long hours.

Thoughts? Counter evidence? Something I simply didn't know about? (ie where adonalsium shattered) Cookies?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be floored if the Shattering didn't happen on Yolen. We know it'll happen during Dragonsteel, and Yolen is the planet for that series. I think an easy way to get confirmation would be to ask if Frost was at the Shattering, since he's never left Yolen.

• Chaos locked this topic