What kind of surge binder is Gaz?

Chlehrma

So after rereading WoK, again, I had the distinct impression that Gaz is being haunted by Cryptics. From Jasnah's identification of Shallan's spren as a liespren, I believe Gaz will be of the same order as Shallan. My guess is that he did not have enough stormlight to accidentally trigger a surge until after Lamaril died and he no longer had to pay his blackmailer. It would not surprise me if Lamaril was actually blackmailing Gaz because of Gaz having accidentally used his abilities. Much like Kaladin, he would not want people to know that he had any powers associated with the fallen Radiants.

I'm not sure that he's a Surgebinder, but there is a distinct pattern of people seeing Cryptics by not-seeing them. Shallan draws them after taking a memory, Elhokar sees them sideways from a mirror, and maybe Gaz sees them as shadows from his blinded eye. If he's seeing any spren, I'd peg him as a Lightweaver too. Him having a secret would attract them, too, hence the blackmail.

I see no reason for each Order to be represented equally by Brandon, since some Orders are bound to be less interesting or provide less narrative usefulness than others. Brandon had a distinct lack of gold Mistings in Mistborn, for example. Illusions and Soulcasting allow for a ton of variety, so I expect to see tons of Lightweavers. Windrunners and Skybreakers will be most-used, I imagine, because Brandon likes characters that can fly. I don't blame him.

Edited by Moogle

@swimmingly

I forgot to keep an eye out for anyone in a black military outfit in Sadeas's camp. :-( but thinking about Darnkness, I also wonder if that is who Hoid is avoiding.

@Moogle

Also with Cryptics being the least picky type of spren, I expect to see a lot more cryptic bonded people than Honorspren bonded people. I think wind runners will be fewer in number even if they play a more prominent role in the book.

First off.....I'll admit, I thought the original title of this thread was a joke. Sorry, no offense meant. Then I realized that, yeah, there was something odd going on with Gaz. I'll have to pay close attention on my upcoming re-read. 

Anyway. I just want to point out that I don't think there's any reason to assume that cryptics will be the exclusive spren of Lightweavers, any more than Honorspren will be the exclusive spren of Windrunners. And of all the orders that Gaz might conceivably fit into, creative/honest certainly doesn't come to mind first.

Anyway. I just want to point out that I don't think there's any reason to assume that cryptics will be the exclusive spren of Lightweavers, any more than Honorspren will be the exclusive spren of Windrunners. And of all the orders that Gaz might conceivably fit into, creative/honest certainly doesn't come to mind first.

He doesn't really fit into any of the Orders. It's highly unlikely that he's a Surgebinder. Still, it's always fun massively speculating when there's actual evidence for a theory beyond a few vague lines about someone seeing things from their blind eye.

Seeing how everyone is theorizing how almost everyone's a souldbinder, winderunner, radiant, champion, etc, I wonder how many characters will be in the last epic battle.....

I am thinking there will be two. The whole champion remark at the end of WoK

But if he got Gaz , Why didn't he go after Elhokar and Kaladin??

Darkness only kills people who have broken the law and use surgebinding. The king is a law unto himself in most medieval societies, so it places him outside the law, plus he has not been actively surgebinding. Kaladin does not have any outstanding warrants out for his arrest and has already been punished for any offense he might have committed as a slave by having been branded with the Shash? Glyph. Additionally, most of his obvious uses of surgebinding were out on the plains where battles were occurring. This probably would make it difficult for Darkness to track exactly who the binder was--especially since all of Kal's spheres were drained each time he came back.

The real question to my mind is: why hasn't darkness gone after Szeth?

Edited by Chlehrma

I would guess that darkness is not going after Szeth because he is going after potential Knights Raidant, not just surgebinders. I find it perplexing how much people ignore the WoB that Szeth is something different to a budding Knight Radiant, and try to lump him in with others who have a similar power.

I am assuming that the difference is a hugely important thing (in terms of what it means, rather than effect of having binding capabilities). Perhaps the ability to use powers is not dangerous, but being on the path to Radiance is.

I forgot to keep an eye out for anyone in a black military outfit in Sadeas's camp. :-( but thinking about Darnkness, I also wonder if that is who Hoid is avoiding.

Brandon somewhere stated that Hoid is the most powerful non-shardic being in the cosmere. I doubt that he is avoiding Darkness. I rather think he avoids members of the 17th Shard, because he doesn't want to risk a confrontation - where he could accidently hurt or kill them.

I guess it's kind of a " I don't want you guys to get hurt, but if you insist i can't make any promises" - thing. So he keeps a low profile.

Or he can't use a interuption.. who knows?

@swimmingly: I doubt that darkness has been near the Shattered Plains, if only because he hasn't fought Kaladin. Kaladin has done some morally correct but legally wrong things, as well as his surgebinding, which is enough for darkness to attack.

A lot of these threads are making me feel like I haven't read anything by Brandon at all.  :unsure: Who's "darkness?" I'm (somewhat) familiar with the Hoid/Shards/Cosmere mess, but I haven't seen this before?

Darkness is the dark-skinned character with a patch of pale white on his cheek that Elhokhar is speaking to in the Prologue of the Way of Kings. He is named and plays a predominant role in one of the released Interludes of the Words of Radiance, which can be found here if you do not mind spoilers.

• Chaos locked this topic