The Stormfather, and Shardblades

Kiiyashi

Weee, random theory time.
I've been in the mood for a reread recently, and though I have not yet gotten around to going through WoK and WoR, I have been thinking about a few things that I wanted to keep an eye out for.
That carried me through to thinking about the ending of WoR, and the scene where the Stormfather bonds with Dalinar.
...[We don't need to tag WoR spoilers, it being the last released book and all, do we?

I would have posted this later, but the quote I was after was actually brought up in another topic by Moogle.

I WILL NOT BE A SIMPLE SWORD TO YOU, the Stormfather warned. I WILL NOT COME AS YOU CALL...

In particular, I was focusing on the underlined parts below.

I WILL NOT BE A SIMPLE SWORD TO YOU, the Stormfather warned. I WILL NOT COME AS YOU CALL

And while it is highly likely that I am merely seeing what I wish to see here, I think the wording does leave the Stormfather with some wriggle room, in terms of alternate interpretations.

From how I am reading it, there are two possible interpretations, excluding the "I'm not gonna be a Shardblade, deal with it" one.
First, the Stormfather could be saying that, if he becomes a Shardblade, it will not be a "normal" variant, and while he can take sword form, it would be his choice, not Dalinar's, though I deem this one somewhat unlikely.
Second, a more likely variant, is that his Shardblade form is normal, but again, he will take it on his terms.

So I am hoping, though I think it may be unlikely, that we will get another "Stretch forth thy hand" moment, albeit with less awkward Old English, and the full dramatic effect of the Stormfather entering the fray, rather than merely hurling Stormlight from the sidelines.

... It would appear that there is a similar topic in existence, though it has a slightly different spin on it. Not sure if I should have created a new one, or Necro'd the old one, but it is a good time to find out.

Weee, random theory time.

I've been in the mood for a reread recently, and though I have not yet gotten around to going through WoK and WoR, I have been thinking about a few things that I wanted to keep an eye out for.

That carried me through to thinking about the ending of WoR, and the scene where the Stormfather bonds with Dalinar.

...[We don't need to tag WoR spoilers, it being the last released book and all, do we?

I would have posted this later, but the quote I was after was actually brought up in another topic by Moogle.

In particular, I was focusing on the underlined parts below.

And while it is highly likely that I am merely seeing what I wish to see here, I think the wording does leave the Stormfather with some wriggle room, in terms of alternate interpretations.

From how I am reading it, there are two possible interpretations, excluding the "I'm not gonna be a Shardblade, deal with it" one.

First, the Stormfather could be saying that, if he becomes a Shardblade, it will not be a "normal" variant, and while he can take sword form, it would be his choice, not Dalinar's, though I deem this one somewhat unlikely.

Second, a more likely variant, is that his Shardblade form is normal, but again, he will take it on his terms.

So I am hoping, though I think it may be unlikely, that we will get another "Stretch forth thy hand" moment, albeit with less awkward Old English, and the full dramatic effect of the Stormfather entering the fray, rather than merely hurling Stormlight from the sidelines.

... It would appear that there is a similar topic in existence, though it has a slightly different spin on it. Not sure if I should have created a new one, or Necro'd the old one, but it is a good time to find out.

I think the "Radiant without Shards" comment makes it pretty unambiguous that Stormfather won't become a blade in any way shape or form.

Aye, as I said, I do not consider it particularly likely.

But the wording, and this includes "Radiant without Shards", is open enough that a sufficiently pedantic individual could wriggle around the situation.

Shards is a plural, and could mean that he will only get one, while sounding as if he won't get any.

Had the wording been "any Shards", well, that is more absolute.

Realistically, given how short that scene was, the next book is going to be needed for any reinforcing or obliteration of this theory, at least to me. Not really expecting to convince many people by picking at some word choices, with virtually no evidence.

• Chaos locked this topic