Hoid's Identity

Kyzkle

Honestly, Hoid and Friends would make an awesome story to read. I was also surprised at how quickly he brought the ideas of the unfettered internet together. Man's got some serious writing chops.

Also, Hoid is apparently the most powerful non-shard in the universe... I thought that he was travelling to shardworlds to understand their magic, then was going to use his lerasium bead to write them all into himself, but I doubt he needs to.

Honestly, Hoid and Friends would make an awesome story to read. I was also surprised at how quickly he brought the ideas of the unfettered internet together. Man's got some serious writing chops.

Also, Hoid is apparently the most powerful non-shard in the universe... I thought that he was travelling to shardworlds to understand their magic, then was going to use his lerasium bead to write them all into himself, but I doubt he needs to.

Or already has.

If he already has, what's his game plan?

I can just see Hoid travelling the Cosmere to write a book on Cosmerian cuisine. " I arrived on Roshar last night. Chasmfiends taste terrible. I think I'll see what the king is cooking tomorrow night, if I can get into his court."

Hey, I haven't watched the video yet, but can someone spoil me on what, exactly, he ended up writing about?

And as for Hoid hanging with Gandalf and the Doctor, it was only a matter of time. Once you Worldhop, is it really going to take long to start Universehopping?

OH. HEY.

MAYBE THE TEN FOOLS ARE THE MIRRORVERSE HERALDS.

"Goodbye! Me am Jezrien Stormmother!"

Actually... you know, if you assume that prologue Jezrien is Bizarro Jezrien, the whole series makes more sense. He said "As long as there's only one of us, the oathpact will work", but what he meant was "The oathpact won't work with only one of us". So he convinced the Heralds to quit, and kickstarted the process for the Everstorm.

Edited by Quiver

"Goodbye! Me am Jezrien Stormmother!"

Actually... you know, if you assume that prologue Jezrien is Bizarro Jezrien, the whole series makes more sense. He said "As long as there's only one of us, the oathpact will work", but what he meant was "The oathpact won't work with only one of us". So he convinced the Heralds to quit, and kickstarted the process for the Everstorm.

Neirzej Squallmother.

Was this directly stated?

He has hinted at it before... With the "And while we're at it I'll bring Hoid along too - because there's no way he's letting Rand lose."

That and that the 17th Sharders wouldn't know what to do if they did find him.

Was this directly stated?

He has hinted at it before... With the "And while we're at it I'll bring Hoid along too - because there's no way he's letting Rand lose."

That and that the 17th Sharders wouldn't know what to do if they did find him.

There's direct WoB from Waygate writeathon that Hoid is the most powerful non-shard.

Assuming Sanderson meant that Hoid is the most powerful non-shard through any book, that makes him pretty absurdly powerful. The Lord Ruler and Susebron were excessively powerful at their peaks, so if Hoid is hands-down more powerful than both of them...

I think we need a bit more context for what Brandon means by "powerful" though. The Lord Ruler and Susebron were functionally immortal, but that was tied into their respective magic systems. If the Lord Ruler was left on Roshar, would his abilities still work? I've never been clear on whether or not it's Scadrian metal which is specifically required for allomancy, but if it is, then unless he brings a stockpile with him, he's lost (literally) half his abilities.

"More powerful" might mean more versatile. Or it might be that The Lord Ruler doesn't count because of his experience at the Well, and Susebron doesn't count because he's Returned. Or it might mean he's cleverer. The Hulk is the strongest Avenger, but it's debateable as to whether he's the most powerful.

Point is, when we see Hoid in action, it will be awesome. I'm expecting it to happen at some point within the Stormlight Archives, at least a glimpse of what he's capable of.

I don't know -- he seemed pretty straightforward when he said it. I think the question was something about if Kelsier or Hoid would win in a fight, and he just said "Hoid is the most powerful non-shard in the Cosmere, so he would win". There wasn't much thought or hesitation put into it, so I can only assume it was more than just a technicality for the situation. (I could be wrong on the question, though. If anyone with a transcript could check that, that'd be awesome)

On the question of contextual power: I was always under the assumption that Allomancy would work with any metal because the metal operates sort of like an enzyme to allow the Allomancer to use preservation's power, while the Allomancer's ability to burn metals is actually written into their sDNA. Feruchemy is tied to the physics of the Cosmere (and isn't actually directly tied to a shard) so it should work anywhere. Hemalurgy is the most interesting of the Scadrian magics, because we have WoB that it has some incredible effects when used on other types of investiture, such as Awakening and Surgebinding (It's also arguably the most secret after the fall of the Steel Ministry). Awakening, Forgery, and Soulcasting are related to an object's cognitive aspect, so they should work anywhere in the Cosmere as well.

AonDor is the only location-specific magic I can think of, because it relies on the power left on Sel by Devotion. In fact, it doesn't work on most of the Sel itself. Surgebinding could also be tricky if you ran out of stormlight on another planet -- That probably makes Lift the most powerful modern Rosharan in the Cosmere, actually.

Edited by Kyzkle

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that AonDor was only more powerful in Elantris because of the giant city rune there that made it possible to cast powerfully, which is why it is not strong on other parts of the world. Couldn't you solve this by having a metal replica of this Aon made like a necklace or something. I remember reading that Elantrians could make permanent metal Aons. 

I thought that AonDor was only more powerful in Elantris because of the giant city rune there that made it possible to cast powerfully, which is why it is not strong on other parts of the world. Couldn't you solve this by having a metal replica of this Aon made like a necklace or something. I remember reading that Elantrians could make permanent metal Aons. 

Your actually sort of right. The Elantris Aon isn't the source of power itself, but it allows Elantrans to access the remnants of Devotion's power. As far as we know, (and this could just be personal speculation) AonDor can be used anywhere on Sel without the help of the massive Aon, but it can never be used elsewhere in the Cosmere because there is no power to draw from.

We've got WoB that shadesmar on Sel is a particularly dangerous place because of some uncontrolled power. The closest any other Cosmere world comes to this is Roshar, where we have WoB that Spren have prevented similar circumstances by providing a "release valve" of sorts. Scadrial apparently came close when Preservation died, but they apparently have Kelsier to thank for preventing it. It may then be possible to use a weaker form of Selian magic on Roshar, assuming it's tied to realmatic theory and not the nature of Devotion.

As a side note, I wonder if the Dawncities on Roshar have a similar purpose to the Aons on Sel? Each of the Selian magics are tied to their city of origin, (to correct my statement above, forgery is apparently tied to MaiPon) so could the Cymatic structures of the Dawncities have a related effect on Roshar?

Ooh, I never thought of that. I also came to a realization about the cities. They're symmetrical, right? Well the Alethi language is symmetrical over a horizontal line, and many of the names are palindromes, also symmetrical. What is it with them and symmetry?

• Chaos locked this topic