Born in the Cognitive Realm

Batemenace

The title pretty much sums it up, what would happen if someone gave birth in the cognitive realm after traveling there? Is it possible to conceive a child in the cognitive realm?

My initial thought would be “Of course not, normal laws and physics don’t act like they do in the physical realm once you cross over into the cognitive, plus, it would open up so many cans of worms Brandon would simply make it impossible to avoid the headache that ensued to trying to figure out the rules.”

However, for the sake of argument, let’s assume it’s possible. Many of the magic systems are based on where someone is born. Since all of the cognitive realm is technically one large connected mass spanning the cosmere, connecting any planet with sufficient intelligent life, could one’s spiritweb include all the connected Shardworlds as that person’s “Birth Planet”, or would the place of birth simply be the cognitive realm (or whichever particular world that specific spot in the cognitive realm happens to be reflecting)?

For the sake of simplicity, let’s roll conception and birth into the same thing, the creation of new human life.

I started thinking about this because we know at some point, certain people reach the point they start building spaceships and start buzzing other planets in the cosmere, and I was wondering if it would just be easier to use the cognitive realm as a sort of “Hyperspace” for spaceships.

I haven't thought about someone giving birth in the cognitive realm, however using it as a type of hyperspace for lack of a better term is a very interesting thought. I've always thought Hoid uses the different realms to travel throughout the Cosmere, or at the very least quickly travel to different locales on the planet he's on.

To me there is no difference at all.

If you are in on the Shardworld X, borning in the X's Cognitive Realm is as to be born on X's Psysical Realm (of course if you are not a native of X, there is some kind of influence anyway).

Unless there was some Cosmere healing going on.

We don't even know if something like "healing" is possible in the Cognitive Realm.

The Cosmere's Healing works with your Cognitive Aspect as a blueprint of yourself. We don't know if be on the Cognitive Realm can made strange things to the "comunication between aspects".

We don't even know if something like "healing" is possible in the Cognitive Realm.

The Cosmere's Healing works with your Cognitive Aspect as a blueprint of yourself. We don't know if be on the Cognitive Realm can made strange things to the "comunication between aspects".

I think it would work, despite the weird environment, humans are still able to function in much the same way they do in the physical realm. I think the hard part about getting into the cognitive realm isn't so much getting there, so much as arriving there in a way that you can still operate and function like you do in the physical realm, after all, everyone technically exists and interacts in the cognitive realm at all times, it's just that normally you aren't aware of it or aren't able to interact with it in a meaningful way from a physical point of view.

I think it would be incredibly dangerous, especially if attracting more pain spren creates more pain (not sure if it works this way though). I think the mother would probably be killed, but the child may be ok. But it's hard to say either way.

In regards to painspren, I think we also need to take into account that what happens on Shadesmar might not be indicative of what happens everywhere else in the Cognitive realm. Roshar is such that some weird cognitive stuff happens that doesn't occur on any other Shardworld, especially involving Spren-type manifestations of power. You could also theoretically drug up the expectant mother before hand so that she doesn't feel any pain.  

Yeah, anywhere other than Roshar doesn't have spren and even if they do we don't know if pain spren can be attracted to pain that is felt in the cognitive realm itself, they're usually attracted to something in the physical realm.

As for giving birth I don't think it would change much, conceiving a child in the cognitive realm might result in some weirdness though.

I think the Pain-Spren would destroy any mother giving birth. From Jasnahs Tor chapter in book three it shows that Spren can affect you in the Cognitive realm,she had to run from them. Giving birth would most definitely attract them and would be difficult to run at the same time. 

May you link this chapter? I can't find it  :ph34r:

At the end of WoR Jasnah has burns on her face when she exits shadesmar. So that can mean one of a few possibilities. Either she cannot heal with stormlight in shadesmar, or she had run out of stormlight by the time she elsecalled back to the physical realm so didn't have a chance to heal it yet, or how she was burned is something outside our experience and stormlights ability to heal

I haven't thought about someone giving birth in the cognitive realm, however using it as a type of hyperspace for lack of a better term is a very interesting thought. I've always thought Hoid uses the different realms to travel throughout the Cosmere, or at the very least quickly travel to different locales on the planet he's on.

I think thats exactly what Hoid does. Jasnahs spren, Ivory, talks about junctions ( was tht the word they used? Cant remember. Please correct me if not). And Hoid knows EXACTLY where Jasnah is going to emerge from Shadesmar. He didnt know the EXACT time, but he knew the place for sure. So, I assume Hoid can sense these junctions, and uses them to world hop. Maybe he has some deal with the Highspren. Idk.

About the whole birth in the cognitive realm. IIRC,there is no stormlight in Shadesmar

ex: -Shallan runs out of SL and cant get more while shes half and half, physical realm and cognitive realm(again IIRC. Gonna have to read it again)

-In Jasnahs preview chapter, Ivory repeatedly tells her they have to leave this place, because the Painspren are coming, and they Harmmore(dont know if he meant physically leave that place in Shadesmar, and get away from the Painspren, or if he meant return to the Physical realm. Assumeing he meant leave Shadesmar, since he stated tht the junction was closed).He also states (IIRC) that its dangerous for her in Shadesmar without SL.

Now, with all that said, I would guess that since there is no Stormight in the Cognitive realm, there would be no Mists, or Breaths either ( meaning if the birth happened in Scadrials Cog. Realm, or Nalthis', they wouldnt be able to take in the Investiture of those worlds. But who knows, maybe they would gain some other ability that is related to the Cognitive realm, and not the Physical realm. Definitely would be awesome.

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Yeah, anywhere other than Roshar doesn't have spren and even if they do we don't know if pain spren can be attracted to pain that is felt in the cognitive realm itself, they're usually attracted to something in the physical realm.

As for giving birth I don't think it would change much, conceiving a child in the cognitive realm might result in some weirdness though.

Ivory tells Jasnah that, in Shadesmar, pain spren are VERY dangerous.

Ivory tells Jasnah that, in Shadesmar, pain spren are VERY dangerous.

Which makes sense since they're the manifestation of pain, but it doesn't necessarily mean they can still sense pained being inside of Shadesmar, indeed Ivory thinking they could escape suggests that they probably can't.

Which makes sense since they're the manifestation of pain, but it doesn't necessarily mean they can still sense pained being inside of Shadesmar, indeed Ivory thinking they could escape suggests that they probably can't.

Possibly. I was thinking the painspren were there because of Jasnah and the pain she felt from the stabbey stabbey cut cut performed on her chest. BUT (!), then I remembered that there was a ship full of people in the Physical realm attracting those pain spren to Jasnahs location in Shadesmar. So yes, it doesnt mean they can sense it in the Cognitive realm. But I bet they can sense life. And Jasnah is still in the same position as the boat, where they are being attracted to. So Im gusessing, do to Ivorys reaction, that they arent simply going to ignore her.

I think they were attracted to the pain of the people on the ship, but will sense Jasnah, and will attack her over feeding off of the pain caused by the people in the Phys realm. I presume, due to Ivorys reaction, tht they will cause the pain so they can feed off of it. Maybe pain caused in the Cognitive realm has a different effect for them. Stronger. A direct connection to the source, if you would. Just an idea, but Ivory was pretty freaked.

If you couldnt tell, Im basing this all off of Ivorys reactions.

Now, with all that said, I would guess that since there is no Stormight in the Cognitive realm, there would be no Mists, or Breaths either ( meaning if the birth happened in Scadrials Cog. Realm, or Nalthis', they wouldnt be able to take in the Investiture of those worlds. But who knows, maybe they would gain some other ability that is related to the Cognitive realm, and not the Physical realm. Definitely would be awesome.

Well if you want take a long route, you may visit Sel. There is tons of Investiture on its Cognitive Realm, maybe too much for any safe use (and of course you must have a method to use it) and it isn't the best birthplace in the Cosmere  :ph34r: (and my mother complain still about my birth  <_< )

Edited by Yata

Well if you want take a long route, you may visit Sel. There is tons of Investiture on its Cognitive Realm...

Huh. Im lacking, because I didnt know that. So yeah, maybe if, say, Shallan gets knocked up by Kal or Adolin, is on Sel somehow in some future book (or maybe is in Sels Cognitive realm for some reason). Maybe shes running & trying to hide, idk. BOOM! Baby time! What would tht child be able to do with tht greater amount of Investiture, and like you pointed out, what would be its focus?

Hmm.I have to think on this.

Now I'm wondering if Hoid was born in the Cognitive Realm, his home base is there, and he says the he started life as "a thought, a concept, words on a page".

Hoid is a spren.

I'm pretty sure he was from Yolen, originally. 

Although from Brandon's perspective, that exactly how he came into being

Edited by Batemenace

Now I'm wondering if Hoid was born in the Cognitive Realm, his home base is there, and he says the he started life as "a thought, a concept, words on a page".

Hoid is a spren.

Yeah, but Hoid does like to be cryptic. This could mean tht he started off as an idea tht he actually got from a book. I dont know if I can say what I want about Hoids name, as its a part of the story in LoP. But, he literally could just mean he studied and trained and became a different person through that. Sounds like something he(Brandon or Hoid, take your pick) would do. Edited by The Ninja Yodeler