In the Making of Koloss

Plaeggs

If one were to spike a human in order to make a koloss, but instead of using the normal human strength attribute spikes, you were to use spikes with stolen feruchemical and allomantic abilities in the same places and with the same intent, what would be the result? Would the creature be similar to a Koloss, but with the abilities?

What if you made a Koloss using intelligence spikes instead of strength? Would it be super-intelligent and rational but lacking humanity (As I believe is a trait of a vanilla Koloss (the lacking of Humanity, that is))?

If There is a WoB about this please post it.

Hemalurgy doesn't work like that. A specific trait or ability stolen by a specific spike goes into a specific place on the body. Whatever it creates is going to change wildly depending on what you choose. It's also likely that you won't change much at all, so you'd just be super smart, to answer your second question.

The spike that grants intelligence is only one of several possible kandra Blessings, it's not a requirement that mistwraiths be given that particular Blessing to become kandra. I'm pretty sure that being granted any human attribute by Hemalurgy is all that's required to make a mistwraith sentient. So if you could give a kandra four copper spikes they'd be just as intelligent as a human with the same.

Yeah I doubt that would do much other than just give the abilities you spiked them with, hemalurgic constructs are pretty difficult to get right, without the power of the well TLR spent 1000 years trying to create more and couldn't manage anything other than the ones he already had.

Hemalurgyc costruct are made by the compatible spike in the right place. Probably it's not just give to a man 4 Iron Spike and he turn in a Koloss. And there are method to get a Human with just superstrenght.

To me seems that the Spike needed to creates Hemalurgyc Costruct have very stricty rules. But you will probably give to a Costruct more spike with "extra power" if you know where the Bindpoint of the creature is.

It is kind of implied in the books that spiking someone with a human attribute is a more extreme process than using a spike that has just a allomantic/ferruchemical attribute. For example, Inquisitors, no matter their numbers of spikes, still have mostly human thought yet Koloss (at least in the final empire) did have rather clear mental damage done to them by only four spikes. Their physical mutations are also different, i.e. Koloss do not only grow and whatever else can be explained with more strenght but also have a different skin color and grow all their skin in advance.

Similairly in SoS

Only one spike was eough to turn Chimeras into... well whatever they were. Granted we don't know for sure if these were taken from humans but it again shows that spikes taken from different sources can do differentiating amounts of damage.

So while it might work with spikes that hold magic I don't think that spikes with human attributes are as simple as "stab it in there and get an upgrade."

That's genetic engineering for you I guess.

You can't just put stuff into people without expecting odd interactions with existing genes to cause odd morphology or other effects. Too many copies of a gene being activated at once can do really unusual things.

An interesting idea.

Is it possible that some inquisitors were granted human traits, to grant them extra strength and intelligence, without requiring the use of allomancy or feruchemy?

Or is it confirmed that granting a human hemelurgic spike charged with "human" traits will always distort them?

I think there's WoB somewhere that it usually distorts more but I don't know that that would necessarily mean much, they'd probably be no less recognizably human than most other Inquisitors.

• Chaos locked this topic