One the Missing Piece: Revisited

King's Twit

Hey. I posted the "On the Missing Piece" thread a couple of days ago, but I just thought of a (possibly) new idea on where the missing Ruin may be.

I believe that the extra piece of Ruin's power could have been given to the Southern Scadriens, who are now more Ruin than Preservation, contrasting with the Northern Scadriens who are more Preservation than Ruin.

From SoS, we know that the Southern Scadriens were almost destroyed (or we think we know, at least). The event of their near destruction that Harmony is referring to is, I think, most likely the day they spent without ash when Vin was Preservation. Based on the damage the Sun did in the few minutes of sunrise on the Northern Continent, the Southern Continent had to have been almost burned beyond recovery, or possibly destroyed beyond the possibility of recovery without divine intervention.

This destruction would have happened, then, right before Sazed took up the Shards to become Harmony. He could have saved the Southerners and, in an effort both to balance the Shards and create the Harmony he is named for, created a continent of people of Ruin to contrast the preexisting continent of people of Preservation.

Ati, as Ruin, said many times that he is the only force by which things can change. This would make sense with the continent of Preservation being mostly technologically stagnant, while the continent of Ruin is advancing.

Drawing on the significance of the "Rust and Ruin" curse that I believe has yet to be explored, those could be the two names by which the Ruin aspect of Harmony is known as, Ruin to the Northerners and Rust to the Southerners.

Edited by The King's Twit

Not sure if I read that right, but Sazed widely changed the planet and the topography. If Southern Scadrial was burnt to a crisp, I doubt that Sazed would've left it like that. Also, I don't understand why giving the Southerners a bit of Ruin to save them was necessary. 

Not sure if I read that right, but Sazed widely changed the planet and the topography. If Southern Scadrial was burnt to a crisp, I doubt that Sazed would've left it like that. Also, I don't understand why giving the Southerners a bit of Ruin to save them was necessary. 

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that Harmony would repair the destruction, or at least enough of it to recover, but the population of the continent could have been reduced too much for rebuilding a civilization to be feasible.

Edited by The King's Twit

I don't think Sazed could have saved literally anyone from the south.

The Originators were those who were in underground caverns during the few moments of burning day northern scadrial got, hot enough to set trees on fire. Everyone in northern scadrial who wasn't in a cavern could only have been killed, otherwise Sazed would have saved them and they would be joined with the Originators. 

And the south got hours and hours of sunlight, there is no way they could have survived, unless they have caverns of their own.

The people in the South were genetically normal humans who couldn't survive in the ash covered north, actualy TLR created them as a backup in case he screwed up the mutations and wanted a frame of reference for the next time he went to the Well.

So they never had the ash to protect them from the sun, which means its lack wouldn't prove lethal. I personally believe they were sealed underground, perhaps with a giant mistfabrial(we know they have mechanical allomancy) creating a cadmium time bubble to keep them from growing and developing too much.

The destruction would come from a great earthquake either Vin or Sazed accidentaly caused, destroying their homeland, the great-cadmium-machine and opening way to the surface.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

• 5 weeks later...

Did Brandon say that about the south being the back up plan for TLR

Right here

And we knew from WoB that they're still around even before Sazed brings them up in the present tense in Shadows of Self. Apparently he's more impressed with their technological development than with the Elendel Basin crowd.

• Chaos locked this topic