Hemalurgy's danger

Stormgate

Alright, perhaps you're right about it only being metal, but there are WoBs saying that the reason metal is so important on Scadrial is because of the planet's spiritual focus, and not the Investiture of Ruin and Preservation. I also remember one saying that Ruin didn't create the template of Hemalurgy, he just used it on his planet, which, like I said above, has the focus of metal. Maybe if Ruin instead went to Roshar, he would have used Hemalurgy in the form of gems.

If 16 is Preservation's number, then why would ruin have the same number of metals in "his" magic system? Because it isn't "his". He is just using a cosmere wide hack on Scadrial's focus: metal. 

I thought that the "3 metallic arts" was an inworld name. Brandon has said numerous times that Hemalurgy is cosmere wide. You can steal practically anything with it, and it is more versatile than we've seen. There was a WoB on my search that implied that you could spike "liking chicken" out of people. I personally think that it has more to do with the bindpoints, and the spiritual connection to the victim than the material of the spike. 

The problem are about the Cosmere "Rules", I don't think that the Hemalurgy may be "above the rules".

Every Magic System in the post-Shattering cosmere (I can't say anything before) is a manifestation of Shards' Investiture through the Shardworlds' focus.

But as far as I understand is like if a Shard need to an Anchor to the Physical Ream (investing a planet) and I don't know what a Shard may do without anchoring itself to something.

Therefore I find very unlikely that you may use a non-metal Spike while Ruin (or better Harmony) is Invested on Scadrial. Probably if Harmony changes Shardworld there will be three new Magic System with the new focus (but it's unlikely that will be like Allomancy, Feruchemy and Hemalurgy).

Alright, perhaps you're right about it only being metal, but there are WoBs saying that the reason metal is so important on Scadrial is because of the planet's spiritual focus, and not the Investiture of Ruin and Preservation. I also remember one saying that Ruin didn't create the template of Hemalurgy, he just used it on his planet, which, like I said above, has the focus of metal. Maybe if Ruin instead went to Roshar, he would have used Hemalurgy in the form of gems.

Roshari magic is not just about gems, that is only the way investiture is stored. While it is the closest thing it has to Scadrial if you think every planet must have a single, especific material focus, all magic on Roshar we know enough to draw conclusions from is spren-based.

Plus, the interaction between the shard and planet are more complex than effect+material. If Ruin was on another planet, its magic woukd be equaly ruinous, but not necessarily a copy-paste of hemalurgy.

I believe that while a Ruin's magic system is based on its investiture being "filtered" by Scadrial's spiritweb, it happens only in the spiritual Realm and does not need to be filtered by local shardworlds before being broadcast.

Edited by DreamEternal

Basically the point is, Ruin+Scadrial made hemalurgy what it is, but I also would not think hemalurgy would be different anywhere else. I mean Ruin is still there. Allomancers off-world still burn metal; just because a magic works anywhere (basically anything not from Sel anyway) doesn't change its origins.

Edited by natc

• Chaos locked this topic