Worlhopping and duralumin Feruchemy

Oversleep

Too little to make it into a theory and I couldn't find any topic on worlhopping:

Question

I'm not sure if it was duralumin or something but the Feruchemical ability to store Connection, is that how Hoid worldhops? It stores Connection to another world?

Brandon Sanderson

It's a good question, it doesn't have anything to do with worldhopping but what it does do is once you have worldhopped you can change your Connection to which planet you are on, which helps you with magic systems.

Source

Edited by Oversleep

Too little to make it into a theory and I couldn't find any topic on worlhopping:

Are you kidding? I could make a theory based on the way Brandon Sanderson regards a block of cheese.

This WoB indicates that duralumin storing is necessary, or at least helpful, in hacking magic systems. It's conceivable that by using this method, Hoid could gain access to AonDor, Forgery, ChayShan, Dakhor, and any other varieties of Selish magic, since it is likely connection to a country that is the initial factor in whether or not you can access a magic system.

Are you kidding? I could make a theory based on the way Brandon Sanderson regards a block of cheese.

Aww, what a perfect Theoryweaver :D 

I imagine asking Brandon about how he regards a block on cheese and he getting like 'You are on to something. RAFO' and then all theories breaking loose with 'Unified Theory of Cheese and dairy products' and 'Importance of supplying calcium reserves in regard to Investiture' and of course 'Hoid is a cheesemaker!'

But back on duralumin, nothing comes to my mind. It is helpful in hacking access to resident magic systems, but since you can't store 100%, your connection to other place would still interfere. It just gets easier to do whatever needs to be done.

Wait, wait, WAIT!!! You mean to tell me that Hoid is not a cheese maker, and the cosmere isn't just a place he day dreams up while making cheese on his dairy farm?!....... My life is a lie!

Onto the actual theory. I find this very interesting. Duralumin in itself is interesting to me, and I'd love to see further explanation on this. Does anyone know what type of connection is stored, or what specifically is meant by "connection"?

I think it's the kind of connection that makes the 'life-sense' on Nalthis work.

The feeling of there being someone else in a room when you can't hear or see them.

So when filling a duraluminmind, someone with perfect life sense would probably not be able to sense you, so you'd seem like a drab.

When you're tapping connection, they would think you have lots and lots of Breaths. (I think)

I think it's the kind of connection that makes the 'life-sense' on Nalthis work.

The feeling of there being someone else in a room when you can't hear or see them.

So when filling a duraluminmind, someone with perfect life sense would probably not be able to sense you, so you'd seem like a drab.

When you're tapping connection, they would think you have lots and lots of Breaths. (I think)

That would be very interesting to see happen on Nalthis. Perhaps there's some connection with this theory and the Terriswoman on Nalthis in Warbreaker? It may make it easier to find her in Warbreaker now? Although I think we would have noticed if someone felt breath in a character who should have been a drab.

• 3 weeks later...

The way the original quote reads to me sounds like it might not be Duralumin specifically but any of the feruchemical metals of connection.

At least, it's been my understanding that:

Aluminum stores your spiritual connection to yourself. (Identity)

Duralumin stores your spiritual connection to others. (Which is just described as "connection to others," which I believe might be a source of confusion.)

Chromium stores your spiritual connection to the world around you. (Luck)

Nicrosil stores your spiritual connection to the divine. (Investiture)

The way things are worded makes me think any or all of these metals might be helpful for doing whatever kind of screwy tricks you need to do to get an easier time with other magic systems, possibly in different combinations for different purposes.

• Chaos locked this topic