the lord ruler's pasttimes

king of nowhere

Something I've been wondering in my last reread: what does the lord ruler do in his free time?

The question is more complex than it appears. tlr is trying to pass for a god, and I seriously doubt he would engage in any mundane activity, as that would become known and spoil the impression. How would noblemen react if it were known that the palace brought women in? They wouldn't really mind of course, but they would certainly look at tlr with less awe. Less like a god, more like one of them. Same goes for most entertainment. if musicians or actors were called regularly to perform at kredik shaw, it just wouldn't look right. So tlr has to do something, but maintaining his dignified front. he could read, but he don't seem the kind of person to spend much time doing it. It can't be something requiring people from outside, or it would become known and spoil his facade. He also can't go around the city jumping allomantically, or he would be recognized by some passing mistborn and look undignified. And he must do something: the way he arranged politics he don't have to do much, and sitting on his throne staring at a wall would drive him crazy. Well, crazier.

So, what do you think a normal day for the lord ruler looked like?

I don't think a lot of those things would actually diminish his reputation. He's trying to pass himself off as the Sliver of Infinity, not some Christian God. Zeus slept with everyone he felt like, and he was respected just fine.

Honestly, I think after a thousand years, it's hard for us mortals to say what his mind would have been like or how he diverted himself. Perhaps days passed like moments to a man who has seen centuries go by. Perhaps he simply stored zinc when he'd otherwise be bored. Perhaps compounded copper allowed him to relive his days as a mortal. And don't forget, he spent quite some time secretly thwarting Ruin. Writing all those notes on steel, cycling canned goods through the warehouses, keeping up the atium-scam at the Pits, these all take time. And don't forget, he's always got that invisible friend whispering in his ear if he wants someone even older than himself to talk to.

He was sitting reading when Vin and Kelsier tried to break into his sanctum.

He could surely disguise himself enough to go jumping on the streets if he wanted to. just do it as a lean 50 year old with a beard or something. Store some identity and most surely wont notice you at all.

yeah I would imagine a majority of time he would have just spend storing feruchemical charges, compounding, etc. And then what Darnam said, he did keep himself a little busy planning to thwart Ruin... althought I personally believe that was closer to the earlier parts of his rule.

I think by Vin's time he was just some detatched, bored old man.
Keeping around and reading Alendi's journal, I think that shows that he may actually sympathize with or relate to Alendi in some way. Becoming something bigger than yourself for the perceived greater good.

Hell, he probably just sat around all day watching gold shadows missing his terrisman, herding days.

I think somewhere in the first book Kelsier states that he went so some balls where the Lord Ruler was present, but he never showed up when Vin went there. So  I guess he planned out every detail of what he would change in the world, considering the Well "recharging" soon.
Before that he probably attended the most important festivals, read some books and meditated in his secret room, that he designed like a old terris-huts. 
I can imagine he also sent around his Obligators, commanding them to make some experiments on hemalurgy ( which all failed according to Sazed in Book 3 ).

• Chaos locked this topic