Twinborns and the added "effect"

HokieBry

In the Ars Arcanum for Shadows of Self, there's a statement in the "Combinations" section that each unique combination of an Allomantic and Feruchemical power creates "something distinctive," so the person has two powers and "an effect."  

I tried searching for a topic on this, but couldn't find it.  Has there been a discussion about these "effects" and what these could be, especially for Wax and Wayne?  Has anyone asked Brandon about these "effects" on his recent book tour?  I definitely think it is worth asking him if anyone is going to one of his signings (if there are any remaining).

To me, the "effect" is not simply the fact, for Wayne, that he can increase his weight and push on something, the "effect" thus being that he can then use his increased weight as a battering ram or to smash through floors.  I was thinking it was more of an indirect side effect.  This works better for Wayne, who does not have a simple, obvious "effect."  

I originally thought Wax's "steel bubble" could be his "effect," but then I realized this is probably too simple and not really related to being able to store weight.  I think his ability to create that bubble is a factor of him being a really really talented Coinshot, and maybe bordering on savant territory.  

I originally thought Wax's "steel bubble" could be his "effect," but then I realized this is probably too simple and not really related to being able to store weight.  I think his ability to create that bubble is a factor of him being a really really talented Coinshot, and maybe bordering on savant territory.

I thought the same.

I'm interested in whether it works if you have more than two powers. Do you get one perk per pairing? Did TLR have 256 different perks? (Are Mistborn considered to be Mistings of the 16 basemetals?)

Is Hoid running around with an exponentially higher number of perks?

I'm interested in whether it works if you have more than two powers. Do you get one perk per pairing? Did TLR have 256 different perks? (Are Mistborn considered to be Mistings of the 16 basemetals?)

I am sure TLR loved some of his unique powers like growing his hair as fast as he wanted or getting a tan or making himself skinny or fat.

Of course Hoid is, how else does he get so witty?

Edited by HokieBry

IMO Hoid is probably as close to being a shardholder as you can get without being a shardholder.  Hoid fascinates me.  

The ars arcanum compares Twinborns to the Surge mixing and given that every combination apparently has its own unique effect (although to be fair, I have a hard time even Brandon sitting down thinking up that many perks, most of which will never come into play), meaning each metal should also count as a seperate power. Seems like chances are goof that TLR really had that many perks... apparently they aren't all that useful then. :ph34r: Otherwise it's possible that he had one big perk for combining the two full systems.

Perhaps Sanderson could swear one of his obsessive fans to an oath of secrecy, tell them what Wax's and Wayne's are, tell them the rules for the effects, and let them go. On a side note, this question also leads into the question of what the Surgebinding effect is. From the theories I've seen, either the effect is something interesting that happens when the two magics are combined, (i.e. Windrunners able to do Reverse Lashings, giving an object a gravitational pull) or it is an effect on their abilities as a person. For example, I have a pet theory that Wayne's effect is his ability to imitate voices.

I'd assumed it was a sort of combonation of the powers in a new interesting way. Not sure what an example would be, but I don't think it's something super obvious like steel bubble, or way different like voice imitation.

I feel like it's a big deal type power, but that no one's figured out how to use it 'cause they don't have any idea it exists.

My question is whether combining Hemalurgy with either power makes side effects.

In his Alloy of Law annotations, Brandon states that the steel bubble is an effect of Wax being a steel savant.

In SA, it seems that the effect complements and enhanded the sugebinder's ability to use their surges, without being directly tied to them.

For example

Shallan's photographic memory allows her to create images with Lightweaving more accurately.

I think it's likely the Allomancy and Feruchemy effects follow the same idea, but they're more subtle.

In SA, it seems that the effect complements and enhanded the sugebinder's ability to use their surges, without being directly tied to them.

For example

Shallan's photographic memory allows her to create images with Lightweaving more accurately.

I think it's likely the Allomancy and Feruchemy effects follow the same idea, but they're more subtle.

You are probably on to something. I never noticed that.

In the newly posted AoL annotations, Sanderson confirms that this is a result of Wax's steel savantism.

Well, Wax did, while chasing Paalm around, fill his Ironmind to gain increased bursts of speed. Brandon has been really inconsistent with the exact effects of Skimming (Iron Feruchemy), with several contradictory comments throughout each Mistborn series, but it makes sense that this would be a subtle but important effect that could likely be the result of such "perks"--doubtless it could be further expanded upon, and would yield a more major result if Wax thought to experiment more.

Guys I think I may have figured it out but it could be a really big coincidence. Ok so in the metals quick reference guide in the back of SoS it has all of the metals listed in order starting with iron as one and duralumin as sixteen following me so far, well if we have allomancy as a multiplier of one and feruchemy as a multiplier of two so a lurched would have one and a skimmer would have two well when you add those together you get a number that might equal to the effect or effects. Let's take Wax he would add up to four giving him a slight increase in strength through pewter and slight increase in speed through steel,now before you say this theory is crash listen to my reasoning, at the end of AoL Wax goes on fighting longer than he should've bean physically capable of wich inspired a theory that said something along the lines of how his skips gave him pewter, well if his added effect has something to do with pewter then that further proves my theory. Wax has also bean able to do some things in SoS that doesn't make sense like the "twirl" he does in the pits and when he's chasing bleeder at the end could be related to feruchemical steel.

As for Wayne his adds up to thirty two wich would be storing connection wich makes a lot of sense for Wayne and his impersonating. There are two things to keep in mind though, the effect in these cases is a very slight boost barely noticeable, and seventeen and above for allomancy and thirtythree and above for feruchemy go into the god metal alloys. Although currently none of this cannot be proved until someone asks Brandon or we get more twinborns. Sorry if this is a bit rushed im at school right now and I don't have much time.

Guys I think I may have figured it out but it could be a really big coincidence. Ok so in the metals quick reference guide in the back of SoS it has all of the metals listed in order starting with iron as one and duralumin as sixteen following me so far, well if we have allomancy as a multiplier of one and feruchemy as a multiplier of two so a lurched would have one and a skimmer would have two well when you add those together you get a number that might equal to the effect or effects. Let's take Wax he would add up to four giving him a slight increase in strength through pewter and slight increase in speed through steel,now before you say this theory is crash listen to my reasoning, at the end of AoL Wax goes on fighting longer than he should've bean physically capable of wich inspired a theory that said something along the lines of how his skips gave him pewter, well if his added effect has something to do with pewter then that further proves my theory. Wax has also bean able to do some things in SoS that doesn't make sense like the "twirl" he does in the pits and when he's chasing bleeder at the end could be related to feruchemical steel.

As for Wayne his adds up to thirty two wich would be storing connection wich makes a lot of sense for Wayne and his impersonating. There are two things to keep in mind though, the effect in these cases is a very slight boost barely noticeable, and seventeen and above for allomancy and thirtythree and above for feruchemy go into the god metal alloys. Although currently none of this cannot be proved until someone asks Brandon or we get more twinborns. Sorry if this is a bit rushed im at school right now and I don't have much time.

This is one of the best explanations of the Twinborn effects I have seen. Have an upvote!

• Chaos locked this topic