Question 17

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

That would require a time sync. Not undoable, but would require you likely waiting to post until each thread reaches a certain point in time. For example, Corvallis is already into the afternoon, but say the Dalles might still be in the morning, meaning you'd have to wait until the Dalles reaches the afternoon before posting. Then when you make the shift back to Corvallis, you'd need to apply a time skip, having Converter do something between the time she would have arrived and when your post actually takes place.

This is just an example, as I haven't caught up on the Dalles in a while.

Time is a bit wonky currently in the Dalles in that a conversation that started at the beginning of the day hasn't finished yet but some stuff that includes travel time has happened, so significantly more time than that of the conversation should have passed already. One way or another, it is still relatively early there.

Edited by Edgedancer

That would require a time sync. Not undoable, but would require you likely waiting to post until each thread reaches a certain point in time. For example, Corvallis is already into the afternoon, but say the Dalles might still be in the morning, meaning you'd have to wait until the Dalles reaches the afternoon before posting. Then when you make the shift back to Corvallis, you'd need to apply a time skip, having Converter do something between the time she would have arrived and when your post actually takes place.

This is just an example, as I haven't caught up on the Dalles in a while.

Waiting probably would not be a problem, and Converter could be traveling during the time jump.  

Time is a bit wonky currently in the Dalles in that a conversation that started at the beginning of the day hasn't finished yet but some stuff that includes travel time has happened, so significantly more time than that of the conversation should have passed already. One way or another, it is still relatively early there.

I really need to catch up on the dalles.

But he can't defend against missile strikes forever, in fact now that he's even trying he's pretty well pinned down, every Epic in the city can come attack him and unless he's willing to run and stop stopping the missiles they'll probably get him.

Yes, things are about to get iffy for him, but he doesn't have to do it forever. He just needs to hold on until the bus gets outta town, then he'll enact his gettaway plan. Plus he has one key advantage in this conflict.

Missiles have metal shells.

He just needs to touch one and he can control it. It's not going to be easy, especially while he's fighting epics, but it'll give him an edge.

Yes, things are about to get iffy for him, but he doesn't have to do it forever. He just needs to hold on until the bus gets outta town, then he'll enact his gettaway plan. Plus he has one key advantage in this conflict.

Missiles have metal shells.

He just needs to touch one and he can control it. It's not going to be easy, especially while he's fighting epics, but it'll give him an edge.

Unless Arsenal had the good sense to give them a remote detonator and is watching with binoculars, then that plan backfires spectaculary. :mellow:

Is that a yes?

On a different note, how many of Quicksilver's Slivers are still in that base and are going to die if he doesn't manage to catch the missles?

I hadn't thought of it, but it would make sense for him to have a way to detonate them remotely. It wouldn't be any harder than a normal missile, at any rate.

I don't think anyone has taken the middle school directly but it is nect to Shively Park, which has been taken, so you might want to talk with RippleGylf about that. Apart from that, I'd have to say that traveling a mile if not more by power plus a big fight is probably well above the "could supress the corruption" threshold.

Stormgate, I think it would probably one of the poorer places to build an epic army in Astoria. With its proximity to Shively Park, Lightwood would probably notice and report to Lucentia about it.

Edited by RippleGylf

Is that a yes?

On a different note, how many of Quicksilver's Slivers are still in that base and are going to die if he doesn't manage to catch the missles?

Surveilance and Reflection, so they should be fine. Once Reflection sees Quicksilver has left the base, he and Surveilance would have evacuated. And once Surveilance spotted the initial missiles Reflection would have shielded them while they left.

I hadn't thought of it, but it would make sense for him to have a way to detonate them remotely. It wouldn't be any harder than a normal missile, at any rate.

Maybe after Quicksilver starts controlling the first few. It wouldn't make sense for them to start off with that because they've never seen him use his power on something like that. Catching bullets is one thing, catching missiles is another. 

Well the missiles aren't actually aimed at him though, so how he'd catch them is another question that would need solving. Plus missiles don't just rely on momentum to move like bullets do, if he 'caught' one, it would still be burning fuel so it'd likely just crush itself and explode anyway.

Also on that note, I'd be pretty curious as to how Quicksilver recognized the type of missile, missiles aren't well known for pausing mid-flight to allow people to get a  look at them (Plus this is a missile that would have had to be developed post-Calamity and so information about it would certainly not be widely spread), and since they're launching and targeting somewhere within the city that they're being launched from they would reach their destination in seconds at the most (Particularly since a quick bit of research reveals that plans are to mount CHAMP upon hypersonic missile bases, so it'd like traverse the entire city in about 2 seconds)

He would just have to touch them with a tendril and then redirect them, using their momentum.

CHAMPs already exist today, and once he saw it's flight path it would have given itself away.

Hmm, that is quite fast. The only thing I can think of is that normally ground based missiles are launched at a great distance from their targets, so it would most likely still have to go up and then turn, which take a bit when they're going that fast. But I was just writing what I thought would make a good scene, we can change it if people think it's necessary.

He would just have to touch them with a tendril and then redirect them, using their momentum.

CHAMPs already exist today, and once he saw it's flight path it would have given itself away.

Hmm, that is quite fast. The only thing I can think of is that normally ground based missiles are launched at a great distance from their targets, so it would most likely still have to go up and then turn, which take a bit when they're going that fast. But I was just writing what I thought would make a good scene, we can change it if people think it's necessary.

He could turn it around in an arc if he was careful but it'd be pretty difficult I imagine, especially at speeds of apparently upwards of mach 5.

I think they're pretty highly experimental, and our timeline has this point in time being 2 years into the appearance of Epics. It's possible if Quicksilver was very interested in this particular project but otherwise I find it a bit dubious. Plus he doesn't exactly need to see exactly what it is to realize that missiles being launched is a bad thing.

I have no idea what kind of trajectory they'd follow since from my understanding all current CHAMP missiles are air-launched but it'd likely shoot upwards and then over the city, directing focused microwaves at target locations and then self destruct at some point.

I still like it as a scene to introduce a Quicksilver vs. Arsenal standoff but just pointing out potentially problems.

I guess I'll have to ask Kobold: did a CHAMP target the bus? If so, would it also kill the police cars? Because BusDriver can just make another bus. The bus crew would just have to survive the transfer from one bus to the next.

Edited by mail-mi

I guess I'll have to ask Kobold: did a CHAMP target the bus? If so, would it also kill the police cars? Because BusDriver can just make another bus. The bus crew would just have to survive the transfer from one bus to the next.

That's a tricky questions. EMPs only disable cars that rely on internal circuit boards--older models of cars wouldn't be affected by a CHAMP missile at all.

I don't know whether the military vehicles the City Guard have a computer system that would be destroyed. I think they probably would, but I'm not actually sure. :mellow:

That's a tricky questions. EMPs only disable cars that rely on internal circuit boards--older models of cars wouldn't be affected by a CHAMP missile at all.

I don't know whether the military vehicles the City Guard have a computer system that would be destroyed. I think they probably would, but I'm not actually sure. :mellow:

So, would it just be easier to say no EMP waves hit the area? Otherwise, it's either an automatic loss or an automatic win for the bus. And that's no fun.

I believe it would stall the engine at the least, probably nothing permanent though.

He could turn it around in an arc if he was careful but it'd be pretty difficult I imagine, especially at speeds of apparently upwards of mach 5.

I think they're pretty highly experimental, and our timeline has this point in time being 2 years into the appearance of Epics. It's possible if Quicksilver was very interested in this particular project but otherwise I find it a bit dubious. Plus he doesn't exactly need to see exactly what it is to realize that missiles being launched is a bad thing.

I have no idea what kind of trajectory they'd follow since from my understanding all current CHAMP missiles are air-launched but it'd likely shoot upwards and then over the city, directing focused microwaves at target locations and then self destruct at some point.

I still like it as a scene to introduce a Quicksilver vs. Arsenal standoff but just pointing out potentially problems.

Well, lets hope he doesn't sneeze in the middle of the process then.

But if any random person with a computer can learn about them now, it wouldn't be crazy for the criminal underworld to be familiar with at least the concept of the technology. But I can edit it out if you want.

I think it makes for a more interesting scene he has has time to react before the just completely destroy everything, but that's just me.

And I appreciate the feedback.  ;)

So, how would the CHAMPs affect the cars/bus?

Also, has Platoon's name changed?

Nah, it's the same.

Well, lets hope he doesn't sneeze in the middle of the process then.

But if any random person with a computer can learn about them now, it wouldn't be crazy for the criminal underworld to be familiar with at least the concept of the technology. But I can edit it out if you want.

I think it makes for a more interesting scene he has has time to react before the just completely destroy everything, but that's just me.

And I appreciate the feedback.  ;)

Nah, it's the same.

Oh yeah, I definitely think he'd know of them, I just wasn't sure he'd be able to recognize one at a glance. But as I said, you don't need a reason to be suspicious of the guy launching missiles at you.

So in a somewhat unexpected development Scribbler's potential corruption has gone up several notches now too.  :unsure:

So in a somewhat unexpected development Scribbler's potential corruption has gone up several notches now too.  :unsure:

To be fair, if Arsenal knew the definition of "proportionate response" she probably wouldn't be nearly as ticked off right now.

bo1YhuQ.jpg

To be fair, if Arsenal knew the definition of "proportionate response" she probably wouldn't be nearly as ticked off right now.

bo1YhuQ.jpg

Particularly since he chose to do it today but yesterday, the day they were actually being invaded by an entire army and might have been able to use something like a missile swarm he decided to just sit back and let everyone else deal with it.  <_<  :P