Spanreed inconsistency?

aurik

Hey everyone,

I was recently re-(re-re) reading WoR, and I believe I have come across an inconsistency.  In tWoK, it was established that spanreeds cannot be used on ships due to the swaying of the ship (a la the communication with Nan Belat in Chapter 39).  However, in WoR, Jasnah and Shallan are clearly on a sea journey, but Jasnah is able to communicate with her mother via spanreed.  Am I missing something here, or did Brandon let an inconsistency slip into his writings?

In the previous highstorm, Jasnah and Shallan had taken refuge in a nearby cave. I assume that's when Jasnah must have communicated with her mother. Although the chapter takes place entirely on the ship, I think the ladies would not have been on the ship for the entire day.

I can't recall the scene in detail, but she may be referring to a communication received before boarding the ship. Or as Cemci said, while they were sheltering from the storm. I seem to recall them saying the crew stayed on the boat, but Jasnah and Shallan took shelter on the shore somewhere?

And later I think Navani talks about how she should have received a spanareed communication when they stopped at a port somewhere.

Honestly, with the amount of detail and crazy-book-concept-plot-things and how he ties things togethor  i think we canlet him slip by on this one. Just saying

I think it's worthwhile to hold Brandon accountable for inconsistencies of any size, as long as we do keep in mind that he's human and they aren't the worst things in the world. I'm sure he would want us to, at least. I would think that he would let his editor know if there was a conformed inconsistency and rectify it for future prints.

This particular spanreed communication took place that morning, ashore, before they left port at whatever port that was. Sailors on Roshar are very cautious and take it slow, because getting caught in open water during a highstorm means you die.

Thanks, Peter. We can now sleep soundly tonight :)

This particular spanreed communication took place that morning, ashore, before they left port at whatever port that was. Sailors on Roshar are very cautious and take it slow, because getting caught in open water during a highstorm means you die.

Thanks for the clarification, Peter!  I was rather concerned that I'd actually caught a substantial error.

• Chaos locked this topic