Captivity Spren! WOR spoilers

KnightGradient

Ok so I was doing a reread of WoR(for the twenty second time) and Kaladin was in the jail. (emphasis mine)

"Kaladin sat up and regarded his meal. Flatbread stuffed with bean paste. He stood,waving away some strange spren that looked like taut wires crossing before him."

Odds are everyone else here saw this in their first read through and are scoffing at my ignorance, but I'm pretty storming happy I caught this.

Taut wires huh.

Perhaps they are attracted to the feeling of being deprived of all your freedom? Axies might have not seen any because he probably intentionally got arrested and frankly seems to get in trouble regularly enough to be used to it.

Of course, slaves don't seem to see them, but having an actual cell to stop you from literally doing things as well probably helps drive the point home.

Spren are generally attracted to change, so slaves wouldn't normally see them, since apart from the moment of capture, captivity is their base state of being.

If what Kal saw are actually captivityspren (seems likely IMO), they were attracted to him at that point because he changed from being (relatively) free to being captive. Also, because he's got a trauma about losing his freedom he felt his captivity more keenly than most, making him more likely to be able to see captivityspren.

Perhaps they are attracted to the feeling of being deprived of all your freedom?

I like this a lot.

Also what really makes Kaladin's imprisonment so bad for him is how powerless he feels trapped in the small cell especially after he's experienced flying - the ultimate freedom.

Oddly enough I mentioned this the other day in a different thread. Captivityspren were my first thought too but I've been swithering since. I can't make up my mind between them or some form of Odium spren. The only reason I think they may not be captivityspren is surely they would have been spotted before?

I think that the Unmade/Odium Spren are already influencing the world and the people in it.  As an example I think Taravangian is actually being manipulated by Moelach.  Which is ironic considering Taravangian is how we know about Moelach in the first place.

I've just finished WoR again and something I picked up that I hadn't noticed before was that when Kaladin was in prison "He stood, waving away some strange spren like taut wires crossing before him". My first thought were captivityspren, like Axies the collector was looking for in the first book, but the more I thought about that the less likely it seemed. Then I was wondering, could they have been spren of Odium working on him? It might go some way to explain how low he sunk so low so quickly while in prison.

Oddly enough I mentioned this the other day in a different thread. Captivityspren were my first thought too but I've been swithering since. I can't make up my mind between them or some form of Odium spren. The only reason I think they may not be captivityspren is surely they would have been spotted before?

They've probably been spotted before, but the reason Axies hasn't found them yet is probably because he is so optimistic and carefree. (Or at least as far as we've seen him) You can't make yourself feel deprived of freedom.

They could be very well be our mythical Captivity spree, as I guess visually they look cage-like. But I remember noticing them once on a re-read, and thinking voidspren because right after seeing them Kaladin decides to help assassinate Elohkar.

They've probably been spotted before, but the reason Axies hasn't found them yet is probably because he is so optimistic and carefree. (Or at least as far as we've seen him) You can't make yourself feel deprived of freedom.

Sorry, didn't mean it was odd Axies hadn't found them, but Kaladin, who has been a slave and imprisoned before, didn't recognize them. You'd think someone who had gone through what he had would have seen, or at least heard tell of them.

• Chaos locked this topic