Modified Cover

ADIMORTIS

I hadn't heard of the fewer hours myself, Natans, though I did the math. 1.1 times our year is about right, based on what I did.

We know Roshar's gravity is about 0.7 that of Earth. Assume the two planets are equally dense. 1/0.7=1.43. This is the relative volume of Earth to Roshar. To find the relative 2-dimensional proportion, the square root of 1.43 is about 1.20. 1 divided by that, to find the proportion of Roshar to Earth, is 0.83 (5/6). Assuming Earth and Roshar rotate at the same rate, a Roshar day is thus 5/6 one Earth day, or 20 Earth hours. There are 500 days in year on Roshar. 500x5/6 is 416 and 2/3, thus that many Earth days in Roshar year. 416 and 2/3 divided by 365 is about 1.14. So, 1.1 is a good approximation. So my point in the previous post is kind of irrelevant.

What I love is that Brandon must have done the same exact math when he decided Roshar was 0.7 Earth's gravity.

I my be wrong but a hink thta one Roshar year are equivalent to 1,1 earh year, given the fact that they have hours with les minutes and days with less hours..

So Kaladin wold be 21/22 years old.

PS: Peter Ahlstrom said: "20 hours per day, and their hour is like a minute or two shorter than our hour." 

Which would make their Roshar year about 1.10 Earth years.

Your calculation skips a lot of steps. Let's try to do it properly:

First, the facts:

• Kaladin is 19 years old in Rosharan years at the end of the Way of Kings.
  • A Rosharan year is composed of 10 months, which again is divided into 10 weeks, then 5 days and lastly 20 hours.
  • According to that quote of Peter Ahlstrom, a Rosharan hour is somewhere between one or two minutes shorter than an Earth hour. 

This means that a Rosharan year is composed of somewhere betwixt 10x10x5x20x58=580000 or 10x10x5x20x59=590000 minutes.

An Earth year is composed of 365,26x24x60=525974 minutes. This makes a Rosharan year somewhere between 1,10 or 1,12 Earth years.

Turns out you were correct. It just annoyed me I couldn't see the calculation.

In conclusion, Kaladin is - at the end of the Way of Kings - just around 21 years old in Earth years, depending on when in 1154 EoS he was born, what month tWoK ends in and finally exactly how many minutes shorter a Rosharan hour is.

EDIT: @GreyPilgrim. Impressive calculation! And given that this isn't just some major coincidence - which I highly doubt - I must say that my respect for the meticulousness of Brandon's work just got increased tenfold!

EDIT 2: We now have WoP that a Rosharan year is in fact 1,1 Earth years.

Edited by Aether

Your calculation skips a lot of steps. Let's try to do it properly:

First, the facts:

• Kaladin is 19 years old in Rosharan years at the end of the Way of Kings.
  • A Rosharan year is composed of 10 months, which again is divided into 10 weeks, then 5 days and lastly 20 hours.
  • According to that quote of Peter Ahlstrom, a Rosharan hour is somewhere between one or two minutes shorter than an Earth hour. 

This means that a Rosharan year is composed of somewhere betwixt 10x10x5x20x58=580000 or 10x10x5x20x59=590000 minutes.

An Earth year is composed of 365,26x24x60=525974 minutes. This makes a Rosharan year somewhere between 1,10 or 1,12 Earth years.

Turns out you were correct. It just annoyed me I couldn't see the calculation.

In conclusion, Kaladin is - at the end of the Way of Kings - just around 21 years old in Earth years, depending on when in 1154 EoS he was born, what month tWoK ends in and finally exactly how many minutes shorter a Rosharan hour is.

EDIT: @GreyPilgrim. Impressive calculation! And given that this isn't just some major coincidence - which I highly doubt - I must say that my respect for the meticulousness of Brandon's work just got increased tenfold!

Yeah....... I kind simplificated the math, but you must be correct   ;)

Edited by Natans

Wow the new cover!!! Oh maybe I'll still choose the first Rambodin... (Giving up the red headband is great, though!!) This new Kaladin makes me feel just not right at the first sight. The pose is also a bit strange and there's something with his arms!

But when I look at the modified cover longer, it does look much better! The face features are more Alethi-like than the first one! I think I'm going to like it! But still not very satisfied with the uniform design (sigh), I personally adore Exmakina's design better! (Sorry Mr. Whelan, but your art is still very awesome and stunning!!!) And perhaps our beloved captain should also be a little younger?

Hope we could get a better final version in the coming March! And also, is the Szeth part going to be modified? The former one is amazing!

(Another stuff off the topic: Everyone has their own imagination of a certain character, which makes depicting characters directly a very very tough task for a cover/illustration artist, and they have to take this burden and try to make the readers happy... gold star for them! But it seems that most of us may prefer a cover which is more conceptual without too much canon depiction of the story and the characters?)

Edited by Botanica

I def. like the old one better.

My only gripe with it was the red headband. His right foot was a bit awkward, but now even more so!

His shoulders are huge now, and distorted vs. his torso, and his head position is unreal. His right hand holding the spear is weird.

And his face is so square, stockish and old. He does not even looks at what he's doing, he's looking straight at us, weeeird....

No, def. the first one was better.

BTW, have you noticed on his shoulder what now we know is the Bridge4 insignia?

Thank you Ki, and all the other people who liked that post. I'm not the kind of person who would demand a cover change, but if a redraw is happening I would hope that the opportunity would be taken to fix something like that, which is so important to so many people. 

On a lighter note, the cover talk on the other side of the divide has taken a turn for the humourous, so I figure I might as well share Flynn Rider Rambo-din and Yoga Pants Jedi Szeth by Lunarubato

tumblr_mxhh2fkbvy1r7gc55o1_1280.jpg

Please note my favorite part: Tien's name crossed off multiple times. Please ignore my least favorite part: Renarin's name being listed first. (Kallarin shippers... Hiss...)

Personally, I like the British cover better. If Kaladin was going to be in a battle, wouldn't he have armor on. The Kholin cloak is featured in that cover too.

51MzkXCAsbL._.jpg

I actually prefer the American version that's why I brought the U.S version of The Way of Kings instead of our U.K one from amazon. It turn out to be a first edition as well to boot :) Edited by Jit

Personally, I like the British cover better. If Kaladin was going to be in a battle, wouldn't he have armor on. The Kholin cloak is featured in that cover too.

51MzkXCAsbL._.jpg

Sorry, but I absolutely hate the British cover. Whoever it is on the cover, he looks a bit stupid.

EDIT: @Feather. Um, I think you're confusing Teft and Tien. I can only see Tien once...

EDIT 2: Oh, multiple slashes. Nevermind, Feather.

Edited by Aether

Those of you who prefer the first picture need only read the original thread to see the proof that there's no pleasing the internet.

Personally, I only saw 2 differences: Kaladin is under 40, and his headband is under the hair instead of on top.

And that's 2 changes I approve of.

@UK cover: that picture was drawn by someone who hasn't read the book, probably knows nothing about the story. So it isn't a shining example of what "should" be.

Those of you who prefer the first picture need only read the original thread to see the proof that there's no pleasing the internet.

Personally, I only saw 2 differences: Kaladin is under 40, and his headband is under the hair instead of on top.

And that's 2 changes I approve of.

I agree that Kaladin's design is better in the second version, but I think you will have to concede that there are some problems with the position of his head and leg. Other than that, I'd prefer him looking down or towards Szeth, but I don't really care either way.

The head-band was sort of cool though. I wouldn't hate it if Wheland brought it back for version 3.0

Poor Michael Whalen. We're so hard to please. I bet he goes back to landscapes with small characters in the distance next book. 

I do hope the third draft makes Kaladin look younger, less awkward, and less white, though. 

Yeah, I hope he knows that the covers have both been really great works. Like... I'm nit picking. 

• 10 months later...