*Spoilers*Request: A Place to discuss Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Oudeis

Is there a way I go about this? It seems it will eventually get its own forum, or perhaps there'll be a forum for "short works" like there's one for "non-cosmere works", and Forests of Hell will get a sub-forum there, as eventually (presumably) would Sixth of the Dusk. Since it is out today and I'm off to read it now, I'd like to discuss it with those who have read, without worrying about spoiling for those who have not.

If you're reading this and haven't read it yet, please be warned, I cannot vouch that people won't reply with spoilers.

If you're reading this and HAVE read it, please put anything you write based on the text behind spoiler tags, at least until this is moved to an appropriate forum.

NON-SPOILER REVIEW (but I'm putting it below a cut just in case)

Meh. I was expecting a Sanderson masterpiece, and I was disappointed. It was trite, predictable, a bit cliché, and just not exciting. It was still a Sanderson book, of course, so it was good. I could get into specifics but I'll wait until there's a forum for it. Just don't expect miracles, and you'll enjoy the read.

If you don't read that, then I will simply say this: Lower you expectations, and you'll enjoy the book.

I would very much have to disagree with your perception of the story but i can definitely see where you're coming from as it was at least predictable. But i think emperors soul was predictable and i loved that. I absolutely loved Silence as a character and the sense of doom that lay heavy on the story was something I've never seen in any of his other works and i enjoyed that immensely. But i guess i must concede that the plot is nothing too special but as a snapshot into a dying world and one person who lives there it absolutely worked for me.

I know it wasn't the point, but I would've liked just a tad bit more information on what the Evil is, or even what to expect of it.

and why the heck am I the only not-Ookla on these forums? I disappear for like 3 days...

Edited by Ookla the Imagined
No swearing, please

How do you do spoiler tags?

SPOILERS

I thought it was awesome, and had the pacing of a cosmere version of Legion. Fast paced, intense, with just one piece of awesome, creepy forshadowing in the grandmother. Everything else, I saw coming, and the one thing that disapointed me was that it felt like there was more cosmere info in that bit that Tor teased then the rest of the book. The fact that a shardworld with multiple populated continents could be considered "minor" makes little sense to me.

Thank you, confuzified. Now, more spoilerific discussion.

One of the things that this, especially the scene with her deceased grandmother at the end, reminded me of was the Walking Dead. I recently got hooked on it, but i have sinced powered my way through to being caught up. The way that she keeps her dead grandmother in the basement as a weapon... spooky.

Edited by bartbug

No, honestly it was more because I'm super busy, and we had to discuss where we wanted to put that forum (as the current layout did not account for this. In planning the new layout, we were mostly like "Eh, Shadows for Silence isn't coming out until December. Plenty of time to figure it out!" Then we did not figure it out). Cosmere Short Stories will be a subforum of General Brandon Discussion.

Edited by Chaos

I've already gotten a reactions topic going there, so I'm not sure what benefit having another similar superfluous topic there would bring. It might just be better to lock the topic as a resolved issue. Everyone who posted a reaction here is more than welcome to repost over there.