Chapter numbers and twinborn effect

spencer12347

I really enjoyed this book especially the end. 

I thought it is interesting that the chapter numbers have the metal  symbols below them, matching towards the chapter. 

In the Ars Arcanum the writer says that there is an effect that comes from a twinborn's use of his or her powers. Do you guys have any thoughts on what this effect is? 

Initially I was thinking that, like the Herald chapter headings in The Stormlight Archive, the symbols referred to something that would happen in the chapter. Toward the end, the Duralumin symbol appeared with various metals, and I thought, "This is referring to the intensity of the end chapters," but then I realized it was probably, as Argent said, just the chapter numbers in the modern Steel Alphabet. Which is still awesome. I love having those symbols spread through the book. I'd like to see a version of the broadsheet written in the Steel Alphabet.

My thought is that the "effect" is simply a unique way to combine two unique powers. Like Wayne can heal incredibly fast by setting up a time bubble while tapping gold. Wax can do many cool things with his steel by changing his weight. (I.e. collapse a whole building, Push himself incredibly fast, etc.)

My thought is that the "effect" is simply a unique way to combine two unique powers. Like Wayne can heal incredibly fast by setting up a time bubble while tapping gold. Wax can do many cool things with his steel by changing his weight. (I.e. collapse a whole building, Push himself incredibly fast, etc.)

The Ars Arcanum does explicitly contradict this, and say that it's not completely about the interaction of the two abilities, not that those Ars Arcanums aren't incomplete information or anything. :)

...and man I got confused there, thought I had accidentally ended up on the mistborn board so I spoiler tagged the post, then saw I wasn't so had to change it back... ><

Edited by Ari

A lot of people have attributed Wax's Steel bubble to his Twinborn effect.

I think this is likely, but not complete.

I think Wax has an enhanced degree of spatial awareness.  Crashers are the ultimate Coinshots, so it makes sense that this combination of powers would contribute to that.

And think about it.  Wax has a couple of skills that are simply beyond anything we've seen from other Coinshots - His Steel bubble is incredible.  To make it work, he's apparently aware of every source of metal around him, and excluding from them a constant push.  He's also a fantastic shot.  I believe it's Miles who thinks he's the best he's ever seen. 

But he picks these skills up quickly.  Think of him in the SoS prologue - He's a terrible shot.  His Steelpush launches his gun out of his hand.  To go from that to Waxillium Dawnshot, the best gunman in the world, and arguably one of the best Coinshots in a few years is amazing.  He can shoot bullets out of the air.  

I don't think it's a coincidence that he has both of those abilities.  I think they're tied together.  

I'm not sure I like this extra 'effect'. My initial reaction was that it was pretty cool, but thinking about it feels like Sanderson gives himself 256 ways to sort of legitimately use a deus ex machina. Make that 257 with Harmony and his willingness to hand-wave some extra guns when the hero needs them (thinkin AoL climax here).

But he picks these skills up quickly.  Think of him in the SoS prologue - He's a terrible shot.  His Steelpush launches his gun out of his hand.  To go from that to Waxillium Dawnshot, the best gunman in the world, and arguably one of the best Coinshots in a few years is amazing.  He can shoot bullets out of the air.  

I don't think it's a coincidence that he has both of those abilities.  I think they're tied together.  

Shooting bullets out of the air (even if the bullet in question was hanging still) is pretty amazing, yes. I disagree with how fast he's learning, though. The SoS proloque is 17 years before the first chapter of SoS. SoS is about a year after AoL (Steris remarks they know each other about a year) and IIRC AoL is mostly set about a year after Wax leaving the Roughs (I think ~6 months between first chapter and prologue and ~6 months between first chapter and meeting Steris).

That leaves 15 years of becoming a proficient gunshot. 15 years in the Roughs, hunting criminals, that is. I'd count that as full time, highly motivated training. The end result is very impressive, but not incredibly fast.

I'm not sure I like this extra 'effect'. My initial reaction was that it was pretty cool, but thinking about it feels like Sanderson gives himself 256 ways to sort of legitimately use a deus ex machina. Make that 257 with Harmony and his willingness to hand-wave some extra guns when the hero needs them (thinkin AoL climax here).

Shooting bullets out of the air (even if the bullet in question was hanging still) is pretty amazing, yes. I disagree with how fast he's learning, though. The SoS proloque is 17 years before the first chapter of SoS. SoS is about a year after AoL (Steris remarks they know each other about a year) and IIRC AoL is mostly set about a year after Wax leaving the Roughs (I think ~6 months between first chapter and prologue and ~6 months between first chapter and meeting Steris).

That leaves 15 years of becoming a proficient gunshot. 15 years in the Roughs, hunting criminals, that is. I'd count that as full time, highly motivated training. The end result is very impressive, but not incredibly fast.

Dues Ex Machina's are only that if they have not been alluded too, and don't make sense in context other than an out for the author. It has been pretty solidly said that mixing investitures creates a 3rd affect i.e SA. I also don't think that Brandon would disappoint us with a D.E.M, as he has never done so in the past. Also he is an architect. He will have the ending planned out before he even starts writing. D.E.Ms are usually used by gardeners.

It's not a power, it's an effect. So in the case of Wax, he could have a steel bubble or it could just refer to his ability to control his pushes to a greater degree by changing his weight.

Miles other than being a compounder also couldn't feel pain

Wayne is able to do some cool things but I doubt know if I've seen this effect. Maybe it's related to his ability with disguises maybe not

Think of TLR or Marsh who essentially have all the combinations, they both became reclusive and non caring in a way.

Thoughts?

A lot of people have attributed Wax's Steel bubble to his Twinborn effect.

I think this is likely, but not complete.

I think Wax has an enhanced degree of spatial awareness.  Crashers are the ultimate Coinshots, so it makes sense that this combination of powers would contribute to that.

FWIW, the Alloy of Law edition of the mistborn RPG treats the bubble as a example of a "stunt" or specialized skill for coinshots that they can develop with enough experience. Sanderson was heavily involved in the RPG and it has a lot of background information not in the books, but I don't know if we can treat everything in there as canonical.

We cannot. Per WoB, the historical/social stuff is "canon until it's proven not." All of the "metallic arts" stuff is explicitly non-canon, because they had to come up with rules for everything and they tried to mechanically balance it all. It's basically got the canonicity of fanfiction when it comes to allomancy, feruchemy and hemalurgy. And kandra and koloss. And compounding.

• Chaos locked this topic