{SoS Spoilers} Wax- The (probably not) steel compounder

Silvers

Spook wasn't given the choice; you're healed now. Nor, I believe, were the Terris eunuchs.

It is possible the damage from savanthood is simply functionally different from the damage from hemalurgy... I don't think that's borne out by the text, but I've been wrong in my extrapolations before.

Well he likely correctly reasoned that Spook would want to be healed if he knew what damage he'd done, Marsh on the other hand might have wanted to stay as an Inquisitor either for practical purposes or just because he didn't want Sazeds help. He could probably heal himself whenever he wanted since he has Feruchemical gold.

Maybe Marsh wanted to keep his spikes as a reminder of what he had done? People do that kind of thing. He probably feels responsible for losing to Ruin like that, even though he probably did a surprisingly good job against Ruin for an Inquisitor.

Well he likely correctly reasoned that Spook would want to be healed if he knew what damage he'd done, Marsh on the other hand might have wanted to stay as an Inquisitor either for practical purposes or just because he didn't want Sazeds help. He could probably heal himself whenever he wanted since he has Feruchemical gold.

So, you think it's reasonable to assume that Sazed looked at a person who had done this to himself, and assumed, "that person wants this process reversed," but looked at someone else in constant pain who isn't even human anymore by some definitions who had it done to him very much against his will, and said, "that person likely wants to stay as he is"? Or are you assuming he changed Spook without his knowledge or permission, but stopped and asked Marsh, first?

Also, you can't exactly use feruchemical gold to heal, if what you're trying to heal is, "I have feruchemical gold due to this spike in my body stuffed with a murder victim's soul and I don't want it anymore."

So, you think it's reasonable to assume that Sazed looked at a person who had done this to himself, and assumed, "that person wants this process reversed," but looked at someone else in constant pain who isn't even human anymore by some definitions who had it done to him very much against his will, and said, "that person likely wants to stay as he is"? Or are you assuming he changed Spook without his knowledge or permission, but stopped and asked Marsh, first?

Also, you can't exactly use feruchemical gold to heal, if what you're trying to heal is, "I have feruchemical gold due to this spike in my body stuffed with a murder victim's soul and I don't want it anymore."

I think someone with divine power who can read minds and has an expanded consciousness could likely correctly guess the motivations of the parties involved and was speculating on the potential motivations that's all.

Remove Allomantic gold spike, heal the power back, remove Feruchemical gold spike, burn a metalmind to heal it back. We're not entirely sure that it could work but it's a fairly well known idea so I assumed it was self-explanatory. But at the worst case scenario he'd be left with one spike instead of a few dozen and plenty of people have managed that and not minded all that much.

3 - Before they have a chance to resolve that argument, the Bloody Tan incident happens.  Speculation:  Paalm got her first alien Godmetal spike from Tan's body.  Tan was being manipulated by the other Shardic influence, possibly specifically to get to Paalm in order to set events into motion.

Ya know, I went through the entire first read of Alloy of Law going "well OBVIOUSLY this guy was an atium misting hur dur dur" only to realize most of the way through that atium wasn't a thing anymore. Needless to say Bloody Tan became really really confusing with that revelation. This makes so much more sense.

However, I don't think she intentionally took in the Trellspike. I think she probably ate Tan and happened to absorb the spike inside him when she did so. Given the choice between the god who had forced her to run off the man she loved (we know that until her bleeder persona, she had an extremely difficult time having emotions of her own instead of her character's) and a new god she chose the new, but only having one spike she never stabilized with Trell, and so was much more erratic then we are led to believe she should have been.

• Chaos locked this topic