[SoS Spoilers] Shadows of Self Ending Possible Connection

Purelake Earthquake

So, I just finished Shadows of Self and after finding out that bit about Trell maybe being another shard or something I decided to look into Trelagism for any hints Brandon may have left.  I don't think anyone's pointed this out yet, but

I noticed Trell's brother's name is Nalt.  Like as in Nalthis.

I'm way too tired right now to think about what that may mean or if it's a coincidence.  So far, I don't think we've seen any planet/person name correlation (besides Yolen/Jane Yolen which doesn't count).  It's really late here so I'll just leave this now and see if anyone else can make more of it.

Well, the shard on Nalthis is Endowment, and that would be quite an odd shard to be coming into play here.  It seems that this new shard controlling Bleeder is doing something clearly at odds with Harmony, and I don't think Endowment would be naturally at odds with anything Harmony is doing.  Bavadin's Autonomy shard and Rayse's Odium/Hatred shard seem to make a lot more sense.

But hey, for all I know you're right.  :)

I don't know, it seems like a tenuous connection. For one thing, it looks like Endowment didn't create Nalthis and its humans, she just came and, well, endowed them with Investiture. So she probably wouldn't have been the one naming the planet.

I do think we can't rule out Endowment being a possibility for the shard present on Sel. Giving investiture is her thing (it is a she right?) and Paalm has powers she's not supposed to. Also, there's the whole talking in people's thoughts, something also associated with Endowment. And finally, the only book we've seen people described as wearing red and gold is in Warbreaker: Lightsong's priests all wear those colors. I don't think names mean as much, especially across planets and languages (including our own) but there is enough other evidence, despite it being tenuous, not to rule out Endowment completely.

We know that all the names of the Shardworlds are Yolish in origin, but we don't know what naming scheme.  I wasn't suggesting that Endowment was Nalt because so far we haven't seen any planets that seem to named after residing Shardholders.  Furthermore there's this WoB which says that the planets were named before the Shards got there.

FIRE ARCADIA

You have said before that all the planets had their names before the arrival of the Shards. Is Roshar the planet's name before the Shards arrived?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=718#4

This suggests that Nalthis was named a long time ago, possibly even pre-shattering.  Which means its hard to say what they're named after.  This leaves us with a few main questions.  The first is if Nalt exists.  If Trell is real (and we don't even know that for sure), then it seems likely to me that his brother Nalt would be too.  The next quest is whether there is any connection between the names Nalt and Nalthis.  Due to the translated nature of the books and the Yolish origin of a lot of the naming systems I don't think differing languages would be much of an issue.  I don't have a proposed answer to that question though, It could still be a coincidence.

I don't think Nalt would be the one on Scadrial influencing Paalm and whatnot.  That's still probably Trell, though the identity of Trell is it's own can of worms.  Rather Nalt would be someone associated with Trell, someone who probably didn't get along with him very well.  Like a lot that's going on with the Cosmere there's just a ton of important things we don't know yet which makes it hard to speculate on this issue

Edited by Purelake Earthquake

...well, endowed ...

Heh. Sorry...

Seems like a tenuous connection but it would not surprise me if this is true. If Nalt is Endowment, then who would Trell be? What opposes Endowment? Hate? Autonomy?

In a quick thesaurus search, the listed antonym of endowment is loss, and among the synonyms for loss was... Ruin! But that sort of kills the idea that Trell represents a different Shard on Scadrial. So, looking at other synonyms: Calamity, Depletion, Deprivation, Debt? Shrinkage? (Sorry again)

There's a quote that Sazed would have had to do something with the 'extra ruin' to stay balanced... but I confess, I cannot think of how a bit of his own power could be running around causing this chaos without him realizing what was happening.

• 4 weeks later...

What opposes Endowment? Hate? Autonomy?

In a quick thesaurus search, the listed antonym of endowment is loss, and among the synonyms for loss was... Ruin! But that sort of kills the idea that Trell represents a different Shard on Scadrial. So, looking at other synonyms: Calamity, Depletion, Deprivation, Debt? Shrinkage? (Sorry again)

Well, there's a saying that goes something like, "The Lord giveth the and the Lord taketh away."

The "Lord giveth" part sounds like endowment/blessing. My best guess for the "taketh away" part would be:

• forfeiture

• punishment / wrath (would go well with Odium, but I'm pretty sure Devotion is his intended opposite)

• seizure (not the medical kind)

• surrender

• submission

• confiscation

• withdrawal

• destitution / poverty

• antagonistization

• theft

• the opposite of "He who adds"

EDIT:

Here's one more I thought of while pondering the opposite of love/devotion: Jealousy/Envy

Some of these obviously don't work very well as attributes of a capital "G" God (e.g. theft, antagonistization, & poverty), but jealousy is an attribute that the "Old Testament" of the Bible frequently uses to describe God.

Edited by KidWayne

• Chaos locked this topic