Our first Nicroburst?

TheOneKEA

“A pudgy woman sat on the bench within, wearing a lavish gown of three silken layers. A man beside her sat with a hand on her wrist, his eyes closed, his suit very stylish and modern”

Excerpt From: Sanderson, Brandon. “Shadows of Self.” Tom Doherty Associates. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

I missed this on the first read through but remembered it once the emotions surrounding the ending wore off. I think the man in the carriage is a Nicroburst, and that he is why the Soother was able to affect so many people.

This is a really interesting theory, though it does appear that the pair are a rioter and a soother. However, we are told a lot in the original trilogy that there's not much a rioter and soother working together (or a mistborn) can do that a good soother or rioter can't do on their own. And it's a good bet that they have the metal technology, because the constables are mentioned as having a Leecher. 

On the other hand, I vaguely remember that Marasi was actually talking to the man later, and that he was the one doing the emotional allomancy. If it was actually the woman, then maybe this theory has a chance.

I will have to go back and reread the scene, but I find it highly suspect that a known emotional Allomancer is managing to Soothe a large number of people with so much force without some level of assistance. It would be interesting though if Allomancy was altered in some way if a pair of Mistings with opposing powers were touching one another while exercising them.

Marasi assumes that they are a Rioter and Soother, but I think the hand-holding thing is probably a hint from Brandon that something else is going on. Since the Set seems to have better than average knowledge about the metallic arts, it seems logical that something unexpected is going on.

Also, nicroburst Soothing would not be the relatively subtle thing it was. Everyone would have felt the soul-deep numbness Straff Venture was traumatized by, not a general quieting of most emotions. Also, wouldn't she have taken control of MeLaan?

Perhaps she's got the secret to the other kind of compounding, and was simply a powerful (but not out-of-control powerful) Soother thereby.

I had actually wondered if they were spiked. They do work for the Set, who we all suspect has their hand in hemalurgy. With the knowledge gained from Bleeder, they could know perfectly well how to do it. And they don't strike me as people who would hesitate to do something like that.

• Chaos locked this topic