Wax's notion of himself

AndrewStirlingMacDonald

This could simply be a stylistic choice, or a slight change in the way Brandon sees the character, but it is very interesting to me that in Wax's perspective chapters in AoL he was always referred to as Waxillium, but in SoS he now seems to have come to think of himself as simply Wax. Perhaps it's simply the change Marasi pointed out, spending so much time around nobility has made him take the opposite approach he took in the roughs, encouraging him to bring a little roughness to the city, but it could also be still be something deeper.

Maybe. Not to be overly cynical, but that could have just been a change of mood for Brandon. He just didn't feel like writing out the entire name so he shortened it. It could also have been changed by the editors. Your theory is good, but it seems to me like there could be a simpler answer.

This is Mistborn, Gibletish. The series where you can discern the identity of the Hero of Ages from the first three words of the first epigraph of HoA through tone of speech alone. Mr. Sanderson pays attention to these things.

True. Reading the Shadows of Self prologue again, he again refers to himself as Waxillium, meaning that this was definitely intentional. And about the HoA epigraph, I did nto notice that. I will have to re-read that.

True. Reading the Shadows of Self prologue again, he again refers to himself as Waxillium, meaning that this was definitely intentional. And about the HoA epigraph, I did nto notice that. I will have to re-read that.

If you are like me and consumed it by listening to the audio book, the voice actor even does the reading of it in Sazed's voice... TOTALLY gives it away...

Also note how he thinks of himself in the Alloy of Law prologue.

And chapter 1 of AoL. He stops thinking of himself as Wax after he makes the intentional decision to become the House Lord instead of the Lawkeeper. Apparently in SoS he thinks of himself as the Lawkeeper again, or at least as comfortable as both.

• Chaos locked this topic