Six Shards before 2009?

Argent

I've been reading old WoBs and stumbled over one that made my brain itch a little.

Brandon: I will RAFO from here on the other Shards of Adonalsium, as it would be better for me not to give spoilers. Please feel free to speculate. Readers have met four shards other than Ruin and Preservation.

Peter: Have we met these four by name, or just by influence? I can't think of a name that would go with the one that the Elantris lake is a manifestation of.
Brandon: Ookla, I'm going to be tight lipped on this, as I don't want to give things away for future books. But I'll tell you this:

You've interacted with two directly.
One is a tough call. You've never met the Shard itself, but you've seen its power.
The other one you have not met directly, but have seen its influence.

This is from The Hero of Ages Q&A back from 2008. 2008. At this point the only Cosmere books published were Mistborn (Era 1) and Elantris. Warbreaker doesn't come out until 2009. Yet we are talking about a total of 6 Shards - Ruin, Preservation, and four more. Devotion and Dominion are obviously two of them. Odium has to be one of the last two - his... effect... on Skai and Aona can be interpreted as either "power" or "influence". 

But that still leaves us with one more Shard. Harmony could qualify, I suppose (though I will argue that we have met him directly). 

Or am I maybe overanalyzing this?

I think Endowment does count in this situation. Remember, Warbreaker was written with Brandon posting chapter by chapter. It was not officially released until 2009, but I think that he had released at least one full iteration of the book by 2008, and most on TWG had read that.

I actually had this idea last week, to which I asked Chaos about it as he was present (i think?). Apparently the other two were Endowment and Odium; Odium being the one we've the influence of present in the shattering of Devotion and Dominion (it is possible to argue otherwise but i find it satisfactory)

He had to have been including Warbreaker. In a later Q&A, the B&N one, Brandon confirmed that the Voice in Warbreaker was a Shard. I think the book being free is sufficient to say "you've seen this Shard." The book was done, after all.

So the first two are Endowment and Devotion for direct interaction. I am very certain of this.

The "One is a tough call. You've never met the Shard itself, but you've seen its power" is Dominion. It's a tough call because there are Skaze, the Dor, and Dakhor magics. But it is distinctly different because we haven't interacted with what is left of the Shard, namely some pool.

"The other one you have not met directly, but have seen its influence" is definitely Odium. This is distinct from the last quote in that we have seen Dominion's power, but Odium did not Invest himself onto Sel. We see the results of what he did on Sel, but never his power or Odium himself.

I don't think there's anything to glean here. Warbreaker was discussed for quite some time before 2009, and was common knowledge at the time of that particular forum Q&A. This was partially why Hoid was discovered in the first place, because Hoid's place in Warbreaker was so obvious. So while this looks incongruous, if you were in TWG at the time... it was clear what was happening and the context of theoretical knowledge at the time. I was there! :)

Didn't Bavadin have something to do with Aona and Skai dying?

Only that Hoid has a grudge towards Rayse and Bavadin. So those two may have some relationship but it is not known to what extent.

Only that Hoid has a grudge towards Rayse and Bavadin. So those two may have some relationship but it is not known to what extent.

It's also possible that Hoid hates Bavadin for completely different reasons from Rayse and they're not on friendly terms. Especially as any Shard on friendly terms with Rayse nowadays would need to have a suicide wish. :)

• Chaos locked this topic