Svenska (Swedish)

the winter system

So, I've been going over multiple different threads and I've seen people saying they speak Swedish. I've been studying it on a language program called Duolingo, and so I was wondering, maybe we could get a thread together for people who talar Svenska? (note: I do not speak very good Swedish and will likely be full of gramatical errors. Probably sprinkled in with some English as well.)

Souvenirs.

I lived in Sweden for half a year  :lol:

Kan du talar engelska?  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: I'm awful with languages (I forgot much of what I learned...), but each time I go to Ikea, I look fondly at these  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: :

marabouchocolate1.jpg

and these:

kanelbullar-ready-to-bake-cinnamon-bun-f

Sweden is a great country. I enjoyed my stay.

Milk- chocolate, I'm guessing from the context.

And Kanelbullar I'm guessing is cinnamon buns? 

Hm... There's a difference over here. 

Jag äter mjölk choklad... 

Jag älskar mjölk choklad!

I figured out how to make the accents work. FINALLY. 

Better and better. Mjölkchoklad is one word though. Otherwise it ends up being milk and chocolate, except you forgot the and... And that can end up being weird.

I guess this needs a better explanation.

We have these "fused" words in swedish. There is a difference between light bulb and lightbulb. (At least in writing, and everyone keeps forgetting this rule anyway so it probably wont be too awkward if you mess it up, but I am just mentioning it). Does this make anything akin to sense?

Other than the occasional curse I don't know any swedish but I love the idea of this thread since I enjoy learning languages so much so I may pop in to learn a bit or ask something. Anyways, awesome idea Winter!

Heh. Assassin's Creed taught me how to curse in Italian. 

Back to Swedish, I don't know any of this stuff! But it's interesting to see you guys talk about it! I may or may not stick my head in and comment/ask a question every now and then. 

First question, what is the Swedish alphabet? How does it differ from the English one? 

Heh. Assassin's Creed taught me how to curse in Italian. 

Back to Swedish, I don't know any of this stuff! But it's interesting to see you guys talk about it! I may or may not stick my head in and comment/ask a question every now and then. 

First question, what is the Swedish alphabet? How does it differ from the English one? 

We have Å Ä Ö at the end, so three more, otherwise it is the same.

Okay. And what function do these letters perform? And how the heck do you pronounce them? 

They are vowels.

I cant think of an example for Å at the moment, I'll get back to it when I can think of something. Ä is kind of like... the non-sharp E, but not the deep shwa sound either. (Eithär? Sort of) Say the letter A, but without rounding it off into Ayyyy.

Ö is kind of like the I in Bird.

I guess I could just record myself going through the alphabet when it isnt in the middle of the night.

• Chaos locked this topic