X-COM EU

Claincy

I was just wondering if there were any other x-com eu players on the forums. I enjoy the multiplayer side of things as well as the single player but it can be hard to find a match. I have pc and 360 versions if there is anyone else who likes the mp who wants a game :)

• 1 month later...

I got the Enemy Within expansion a week ago and I like it a lot.  A new secondary enemy and mission type to deal with them and several specific scenario missions.  Also a new set of abilities and trade off choices can be made to expand your troops capabilities.

You can now add genetic modification to your soldiers capabilities *or* make them into cybernetic combat machines.  Personally I'm favoring the genetic modification so far because while the cybernetics are good combat platforms they loose a lot of flexibility.  e.g. The genetically modified soldiers can still be tested for psionic capabilities while the cybernetic ones can't.

I also got the expansion recently. I think I like the enhancement part more than the new enemy. EXALT is pretty irritating to track down and bring to battle, and I fought them six times total before wiping them out. Still, the mirror match is pretty interesting. I'm also not too fond of the Meld mechanic to get enhancements. You've got to track down cannisters within a time limit, which is kinda interesting but gets repetative, and really doesn't pay out fast enough in the late game.

Love the mechs and genetic enhancements when I can actually afford them, though. The mechs are fairly inflexible, but make excellent hammers. They've got considerable firepower, various available add-ons, and their own skill tree. They're particularly good at reaction fire and are really tough. Also fond of the flamethrower and punching. The genetic enhancements go in various slots and give special bonuses. One of the early ones is health regen, which is very handy early on. There's also jumping, a bonus to shooting from above, innate cloak, an enemy detector, some psi defenses, and a couple others.

Oh, I've got the PC version. I think my username there is the same as here, or a slightly altered version to fit naming rules.

Edited by name_here

[start a thread, get first reply over a month later, ok :P]

I have enemy within as well. I like it as a whole, I found the first couple of exalt missions somewhat challenging, the first one with exalt elites was also interesting but apart from that they were rather easy. Personally I only push for the meld when it is reasonably safe to do so, my soldiers are far more important too me :)

I tend to use 1 mec and genemod everyone else as I get the meld to do so. I find it useful to have one mec upfront to soak up damage, given that a properly upgraded mec can have 27 health 0_o and situational damage reduction.

I found that Enemy Within makes the early game harder, but does nothing to stop the problem of a ridiculously easy mid-late game, might possibly have made it worse. (This is on Classic incidentally).

Are you in the 17th shard steam group?

Played XCOM EU and like very much. It's such a shame that we don't have many games in this style, some of the best game that i have played are TRPG, like FFT, or Ogre tactics.

So, by any chance, you champs had any indication of games like this to a friend with the same taste?

Edited by Ookla the Puro

Despite really enjoying strategy games like EU I actually don't play that many of them, might have something to do with how much time I have available idk. I tend to gravitate towards arpgs. But I'll share what I know that might interest you :)

Legend of Grimrock might be worth a shot. It is an enjoyable old-school style dungeon-crawling rpg. It isn't actually turnbased but is quite enjoyable.

Dragon Age Oigins. If you haven't played this I recommend giving it a try. The story and characters are good and the combat is quite tactical. The combat is in real-time but you can pause to give instructions at any time, and on the harder difficulties you really need to, turning it into a quasi-tbs at times.

In terms of games that are more strategy focused than rpg focused I would recommend:
-Hero's of might and magic (the third is the best IMO), enjoyable fantasy strategy game with strategic and tactical gameplay and some rpg elements.

-Sword of the stars is a good 4x game, or you could go to masters of orion or one of the many other older ones =)

-Master of magic or Warlock Master of the arcane are both good fantasy strategy games

Disgea & Fire Emblem. I haven't personally played much of either as I lack an appropriate device for doing so  :(  . However, the little I have was enjoyable and I do know a bit about them from friends. trpgs in a somewhat similar vein to FFT.

(Shadowrun looks good but I am yet to play it so can't give a definitive recommendation on it.)

In terms of more actiony stuff if you have any interest in arpg's I would recommend the witcher series and the mass effect trilogy as exemplary arpg's.

I'll also throw out the names of a couple of board games:

-Agricola

-Thunderstone

-Dominion

-Ticket to ride

-Star Fleet Battles

Hopefully there is something in all that that you haven't played which strikes your interest.

Tks friends.

I already played most of this but I will give a try to the ones that i never heard about =)

- Legend of Grimrock - Played long time ago.

- Dragon Age Origins( and sequels) - Played and liked a lot

- Hero's of might and magic - Never tried any of the serie I will give it a shot

- Sword of the stars and masters of orion - Played much time ago ;)

- Master of magic or Warlock Master of the arcane - Will try

- Disgea & Fire Emblem - Played and liked

- Shadowrun - Played too short ;(

- And X-com classic - Men this is a brutal one ;)

Edited by Ookla the Puro

I already played most of this but I will give a try to the ones that i never heard about =)1

I cannot claim to be surprised. Glad there were a couple you hadn't :)

Edit: Realized I never actually said my steam handle :P lord_Ffnord, just like my older name here.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord