Hoid the Compounder

Darkarma

Hi there, my first post so I thought I'd make an impression with a simple little theory that I have but forgive me if its already been stated or suggested, I haven't come across it anything similar in my time lurking.

Hoid has gained allomancy and still has the lerasium bead or rather most of it. As far we been shown when you burn metal, with the exception of Lerasium, you don't have to burn it all. And it wouldn't take much for Hoid to shave up off a small amount of powder. Since we've already confirmed him to be a Feruchemist he wouldn't need to take the whole bead to be on par with a normal mistborn. Even being a weak mistborn is enough simply because he can compound himself to make up for those deficites and that's not even considering the fact that he probably has a supply of Deralumin to further add to that.

That still leaves him with plenty of lerasium to create a Lerasiumind-nightblood-shard blade-hemalurgic spike (And yes an all in one weapon because it could easily work!) (okay maybe not all those would work but a lerasium alloy metal mind made into a night bloodesque weapon is viable) or something.

Thoughts? Questions? Large holes to tear my theory assunder?

Hope its interesting enough!

Edited by Darkarma

Welcome Darkarma.  I'm not sure I quite understand.  When you say that "Hoid already has allomancy", are you saying that he had allomancy independent of any lerasium burning or because you theorize he burned the lerasium shaving? 

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you said "As far we been shown when you burn metal, with the exception of Lerasium, you don't have to burn it all".  As I understand it, when you burn a metal allomantically, the metal itself is consumed.

Clarified that but for the sake a new post I'll restate the edit, he burned the shavings to become a weakish Allomancer.

As for burning metals I'm referencing the fact that burning doesn't generally consume all the metal unless you use up all the metal meaning, you can burn part of the metal and still get an effect. By extension you don't need to use all the lerasium to get the effect of becoming a full allomancer, you just won't have the full potential tha a newly gifted allomancer would have... not that Hoid would even have to worry about being fully gifted as he can compensate.

Edit: I'm now noticing that this post box doesn't let spell check interact with it... pardon my numerous grammatical errors.

Edited by Darkarma

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you said "As far we been shown when you burn metal, with the exception of Lerasium, you don't have to burn it all".  As I understand it, when you burn a metal allomantically, the metal itself is consumed.

The question is whether or not lerasium is instantly consumed, unlike normal allomantic metals, which you can stop burning and resume at-will until its completely gone.

I do wonder exactly what the variation in effects is for burning different amounts of lerasium. Does burning a small amount just make you a weaker mistborn? Is there a minimum threshold to still become a mistborn? What would happen if you burned a whole bar of it? What in the Lord Ruler does it do besides this "side effect"?

I like your "Lerasiumind-nightblood-shard blade-hemalurgic spike". Sounds very painful.

Yeah, what Serendipity said :D .  It is really hard to say on a lot of the questions about lerasium.  We only have ever seen one bead get burned and Elend did not give any detail.  My guess would be uncontrolled burn.  Also, since lerasium is an sDNA rewrite, I'm not sure what would happen if you burned just a titch.  Weaker mistborn doesn't seem right, but minimum amount also seems a bit clunky.

Could it be like how shardplate is connected even when separated? Even broken apart it still exists as a coganative whole? In that respect, you burn the shavings and you might as well burn the whole bead. But the fact that you can forge it into alloys, based on Brandon stating as such, of other metals means its probably more pliable and forgiving... though its for this reason that I thought shavings rather than thinking Hoid trying only burn part of it and then vomitting the rest back up.

Shavings are a far less messy of a theory and less sickness enducing. Plus you could could scientifically measure the amounts being ingested to achieve the desired effect. Though Hoid doesn't seem much of a scientist.

Also, since lerasium is an sDNA rewrite, I'm not sure what would happen if you burned just a titch.  Weaker mistborn doesn't seem right, but minimum amount also seems a bit clunky.

Right, having a minimum or weak mistborn does seem a bit of a cheat but we've had examples of people of varying power as mistings right?

Edited by Darkarma

This has probably been asked before... but what happens when a Duralumin Ferring Misting burns Lerasium and Duralumin together? It has been mentioned that burning enough Lerasium to become a Lerasium Savant is basically ascension... does that mean a bursted Lerasium burn would let you steal all or part of Preservation? If that is the case, imagine if you could attune Lerasium to other shards... you could steal Odium from Rayse. Lol, I just worked out Hoid's master plan ;)

Edited by Kadrok

This has probably been asked before... but what happens when a Duralumin Ferring burns Lerasium and Duralumin together? It has been mentioned that burning enough Lerasium to become a Lerasium Savant is basically ascension... does that mean a bursted Lerasium burn would let you steal all or part of Preservation? If that is the case, imagine if you could attune Lerasium to other shards... you could steal Odium from Rayse. Lol, I just worked out Hoid's master plan ;)

Thought of using it the Lerasium as a hemalurgic weapon combined with nightblood awakening (Commanded to "Help me help defeat Odium") to later be burned to create an multi splinter (Or multie shard flavored) ascension tool... It wouldn't have to be a alloyed tool but rather a thin spike of Lerasium being worked into the tip and the rest of the blade as part of the weapon, perhaps welded on. Pointy end, spike/cut someone, it steals a bit of their sDNA and preserves. When its finally ready you have something that can hold all those different shard investitures using the Lerasium as a base to bring the other bits and burn them into your Spirit Web as you ascend using the initial awakening to direct yourself.

Its a bit convoluted but I think it fits nicely using Allomancy as a base and Hoid's interest in hemalurgy.

Edited by Darkarma

• Chaos locked this topic