Destroy my Conundrum!

Chuck Hossenlopp

I’d like the community’s opinion on what I should do. I have a complete draft of my manuscript. Am I better off chopping it into chapters and joining the queue here, or am I better off trying to get a decent number of volunteers from among you to critique the whole story?

Since I wouldn’t feel right without reciprocating by critiquing the work of my critics, how would I manage that if I go with the second idea?

What’s my book about? Here’s the elevator pitch:

Four smartass college kids find magic books at an archaeological site in Europe. Upon learning how to use their new magical powers, the guys proceed to piss off a dragons, unleash demons, get stalked by Sasquatch, culminating in an invasion of Neanderthals in the streets of San Francisco. The title is Epoch Win.

So what do you think? Chapters or Whole?

Send me your email and I'll PayPal you a nickle (or is it ten cents now?).

Having said that, not sure that I've got a straight answer to this one. As you say, reciprocation is awkward if you use the alpha reader thread / Dropbox account, whereas at least if you do chapters you can keep pace with the goodwill. One the other hand, some peeps might prefer to have the whole thing. I'm not a quick reader, so you'd probably get my comments on the whole in installments anyway.

Short answer, I'm not fussed, happy to read it either way.

I didn't know there was an alpha readers dropbox. I really had to dig for the thread, does the dropbox see a lot of traffic?

Eh, nope. There were two or three things in it when it started, but it's sunk without trace.

Hey Silk, in light of the discussion, what are the chance of pinning the Alpha Readers thread? What do you think?

I've considered it a bit, and I think a chapter at a time will work out better. The smaller word counts to digest will keep the involvement more frequent and more motivating. Plus having the bait of more having chapters available might speed up responses, too.

The downside is that I want to post the whole thing right now, and have insightful and detailed critiques from no less than five brilliant people by tomorrow morning.

Oh well. Look for me soon!