Why are "they" present at Gavilar's assassination?

Herald

Thanks Jez, I couldn't find the actual reference but I (at the risk of admiting to an appeal to authority) trust that the people who maintain the quote database to be very careful.

On a second note, it's interesting that early quotes from Brandon seemed to imply that the man from the WoK epilogue was Taln.  Later quotes, however, were hedged or dodged on who, exactly, he was.  Brandon is specifically trying to avoid revealing too much about the Heralds.

I have a half-baked theory that we are going to see a very convincing pretend Herald, and to avoid it being weird when he dodges questions later he is starting now.

Either Taln or Nalan could be convincing fake Heralds at this point, definitely. I wouldn't be surprise if one of them or both are not who they're said to be.

jW

Eh. You seem to be assuming here that Nale doesn't want to personally break the law, but has no problem enabling others to do it for him. I think we see from his minions that this is totally not the case. Nale would never in any way encourage a group to break a treaty, and the law, by sending an assassin after a king.

Except, he has demonstrated a willingness to execute people who he had personal problems with based on their own infractions of the law. Maybe Nale had something on Gavilar that justified his death in his own eyes.

• Chaos locked this topic