What format do you enjoy the best for Brandon's books?

Mikanium

What format do you enjoy the best for Brandon's books  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What format do you enjoy the best for Brandon's books?

I like hardback for books I intend to read over and over again.  Although I do have ebooks of Rithmatist, Emperor's Soul, Firstborn, and the Infinity Blade books.  As far as theorizing goes, hardback is best for thumbing back and forth and ebook is best for searching a specific term. 

Ebook, mainly because it is easier to get from another country. I would read them in any form, though :P Audiobook, however, takes too much time, and in general, spoken English is harder for me to grasp than written.

Edited by Satsuoni

I picked hardback as I prefer to get them as soon as they come out but sometimes I buy the ebook version as well because well, the Way of Kings is really heavy and I have tiny hands ok!

But it sure does look lovely on the shelf. And the artwork is amazing, no regrets  :lol:

• 4 months later...

Hmmmmm, well. I always preferred reading paperbacks as they're lighter, and have a better shape (for tessellating purposes). Also I've found that they last longer than hardbacks due to better flexibility. But when WoK came out I read the famous quote by Brandon's friend Howard Taylor about it being the best argument all year for getting an E-reader. So I got myself a kindle. I was less than amused to discover that WoK was not actually available on kindle yet, I mean come on, I got one because of that quote. Anyway it did come out after a while and yes it is certainly easier on one and I got the rest of Brandon's books on it too.

Kindle makes it a lot more convenient to carry a huge amount of books around and I can pop into it quite easily when walking to and from work (It's a pretty straight road, no walking into things yet, only one dog mess incident) or on my lunch break. I use it for trying out new books I'm unsure of, if I like them I'll buy them in paperback too. For new books I know I'll like I prefer paperback but get on kindle too for convenience, as in, why am I working/eating/sleeping/breathing when I could be reading?

I upgraded to kindle fire last year but went back to the regular one fairly quickly, much more comfortable, battery lasts longer, don't really like the fire's functionality. I tend to hand around my books to my sisters and cousin so sometimes have an extra copy just for that. If I can only get a book in hardback at first then I will and get rid of it when I can 'upgrade' to paperback. I realized a few weeks ago that my eldest sister (has a three girls, a 15yr, twin 9yr, so less spare time than others) had not read WoK yet so I loaned her my paperback. She finds the size (as in weight, not length) a bit of a pain so I've given her my 'spare' kindle fire on semi-permanent loan, she seems pretty pleased at that.

I have just decided that I'm gonna make an exception for the Stormlight Archive and get all of them in hardback as well as paper and kindle. I'm not a fan of Brandon's American covers but stormlight hardbacks have all the extras and Mr Whelan is a pretty good exception.

Warbreaker I had the PDF first, then american paperback, then british and kindle. I tend to bounce around a lot with formats and covers, the most important feature in buying any format is always what can get me the book soonest. (still waiting for Mitosis)

I'm a hardcore hardback fangirl, myself. I tend to prefer physical books over ebooks, I have trouble focusing on audiobooks, and even though paperbacks are convenient, I tend to beat them up horribly. XD

Also, I'm moving this topic to the General Brandon forum, since it's about Brandon's books specifically. :)

Most of Brandon's works that I own are in ebook format but, whenever possible, I try to buy paper copies for the books that I love and plan to reread. I usually end up lugging a suitcase full of books from my trips abroad. Books in English are hard to find in Russia.

Anyway, for rereading I prefer hardcovers. They're sturdier, while paperbacks often get that crack down the spine pretty soon. And, if anything, The Way of Kings deserves to be read in hardback. Just take care of your wrists :)

• 3 weeks later...

I would buy only ebooks if Brandon didn't keep coming to my city on every single one of his tours, but since he does I buy the hardbacks just to have a signed copy--something that my wife teases me endlessly about since I never even open them! :D

So I voted for ebook since that is how I ingest my Brandon, lol.

• Chaos locked this topic