Is Lopen a Surgebinder?

WayneSpren

Just a quick one... Stumble on an old one today... It is appropriate to this thread.

Q: Is The Lopen going to become an Edgedancer?

A: The Lopen is currently a squire for the Windrunners, but I got a second RAFO about his future status.

I don't remember this WoB at all.  Where did you stumble on it from? I didn't find it in Theoryland.  Could you please provide your source?

Most WoB aren't on Theoryland... That one comes from the Tor.com re-read.

Where on the Tor.com reread exactly?  The reference that I see in the 10/8/15 reread (post #141, I believe) has grouped this quote in with the recent quotes from the 10/12/15 Oak Brook Signing, but the transcript that Argent and others are working on does not have any mention of Lopen being a squire or not (although I admit I have not checked the audio). 

You state that you "stumbled on an old one" here.  Can you please provide your older source? I don't remember this from an old Tor.com WoB that clarified that, but I admit I could have forgotten it.

Since this is a topic being discussed on multiple forums it would help to be as clear as possible on this.  Thanks.

Edited by KiManiak

Where on the Tor.com reread exactly?  The reference that I see in the 10/8/15 reread (post #141, I believe) has grouped this quote in with the recent quotes from the 10/12/15 Oak Brook Signing, but the transcript that Argent and others are working on does not have any mention of Lopen being a squire or not (although I admit I have not checked the audio). 

You state that you "stumbled on an old one" here.  Can you please provide your older source? I don't remember this from an old Tor.com WoB that clarified that, but I admit I could have forgotten it.

Since this is a topic being discussed on multiple forums it would help to be as clear as possible on this.  Thanks.

http://www.tor.com/2014/03/04/book-review-words-of-radiance-spoiler-brandon-sanderson/#comment-497145

Post 510.

That's where it comes from. Have going through the 1200 comments  ;)

http://www.tor.com/2014/03/04/book-review-words-of-radiance-spoiler-brandon-sanderson/#comment-497145

Post 510.

That's where it comes from. Have going through the 1200 comments  ;)

Ah, you meant the Tor.com WoR Spoiler Review. 

Thanks for the citation.  Looks like the poster got this info from the WoR Lexington signing, and it was not listed on the 17th Shard Lexington signing page or the Theoryland one. 

Good to know and your citation of the origin of the information is quite helpful.  :)

Ah, you meant the Tor.com WoR Spoiler Review. 

Thanks for the citation.  Looks like the poster got this info from the WoR Lexington signing, and it was not listed on the 17th Shard Lexington signing page or the Theoryland one. 

Good to know and your citation of the origin of the information is quite helpful.  :)

Yeah well many WoB don't end up on Theoryland... It is hard to keep track of these obscure ones and I had forgotten about that one until recently.

I thus settles the discussion: Lopen currently is a Windrunner squire, but he may become more, eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

If he is a surgebinder he is from the 9th order. Explenation coming when i get to a computer.

EDIT: So the reason is found in the Ars Arcanum.
The number 9 and therefore the 9th order are asociated with dependability and resorcfulnes. Who can get almost anything through his extensive network of cousins. Lopen. I am fairly sure thats resorcefulness. And you dont entrust a king to someone who isn't dependable.
Btw. Lopen probably won't become a radiant until he breaks. From a citation that will be coming shortly it seems radiants snap like mistborn or mistings do. All radiants so far have also been broken once. Dalinar was betrayed by sadeas before he became a radiant. Kaladin saw tien die begore syl showed up. Shallan had a very rough childhood. Girl-with-winged-cremling-I-forgot-the-name-of fell from a huge height and also had huge emotional stress from thinking her babsk would die(kind of a stretch in this case). Thief girl is a thief and seemingly an orphan so she has propably had some stressfull moments. Ym was an urchin and also there was that kill someone part so that could be it. Lopen in his one chapter and while he was a bridgeburner seemed fine. But he may be surpresing his emotions like Shallan was. But the memories would be diferent because his family seems okay unlike Shallans.

EDIT2: http://brandonsanderson.com/books/the-stormlight-archive/words-of-radiance/
It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit. Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves. They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.
This is the citation with a link for verification. It is from the back cover of WoR so it is quite cannon i think

Edited by Moogle
Please don't triple(!) post.

Dalinar was already broken before the betrayal, FYI, as the hints he's a proto-radiant have been around from before Sadeas proved himself an irredeemably nauseating traitor. I expect we'll find out more when we see more of his flashbacks. :)

Dalinar was already broken before the betrayal, FYI, as the hints he's a proto-radiant have been around from before Sadeas proved himself an irredeemably nauseating traitor. I expect we'll find out more when we see more of his flashbacks. :)

Yeah he was probably a proto-Radiant of some degree from the First Vision. I don't think that the Stormfather may send the vision to anybody without some kind of bond.

@Dayblood: There is a WoB about Lopen and his condition. He is a Windrunner's Squire like other member of the Bridge4. For the future the things may change, but at the moment is not a Surgebinder.

Lopen in his one chapter and while he was a bridgeburner seemed fine. But he may be surpresing his emotions like Shallan was. But the memories would be diferent because his family seems okay unlike Shallans.

EDIT2: http://brandonsanderson.com/books/the-stormlight-archive/words-of-radiance/

It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit. Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves. They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

This is the citation with a link for verification. It is from the back cover of WoR so it is quite cannon i think

If you're looking for where Lopen could have Broken, don't overlook the fact that once upon a time someone CUT OFF HIS FREAKING ARM. I've never lost an arm, but I assume that could be traumatic.

If you're looking for where Lopen could have Broken, don't overlook the fact that once upon a time someone CUT OFF HIS FREAKING ARM. I've never lost an arm, but I assume that could be traumatic.

Different type of traumatic.  I'm not an amputee but I have severe nerve damage in one of my legs that makes it.... less than useful.  The breaking is different.  Physical loss is easier to mend.

It's fair that the loss of his arm probably broke Lopen, but he's never been anything but cheerful; he's the funniest guy around, according to The Lopen (debatable). We've had no evidence of genuinely psychological and mental traume in Lopen. Plus, Lopen is in fact getting his arm back, so we might have to see if the return of his arm changes his outlook somewhat - his humour and personality have been based to a large extent on him having one arm, so being able to use Stormlight and essentially become a whole Lopen again is certainly a shift.

Interestingly, are characters required to break to become a Surgebinder, or are they required to break to become a Squire? They can draw in and hold Stormlight, does that come entirely from Kaladin or is some capacity needed from the would-be Squire? Is a traumatic experience associated with a 'break' in SA what essentially qualifies people for Surgebinders? We know nothing of the past experiences of many other bridgemen (the experiences on the Shattered Plains could qualify for all of them, but then I think what we might end up with is thousands and thousands of would-be Surgebinders or at least Squires). Teft could reasonably have had a traumatic experience when he watched his mother get executed (I might be confusing his father and mother, Teft was present for the carrying out of the death sentence of one of his parents, not both), but we have virtually no information on what other bridgemen have been through. 

Interestingly, are characters required to break to become a Surgebinder, or are they required to break to become a Squire? They can draw in and hold Stormlight, does that come entirely from Kaladin or is some capacity needed from the would-be Squire? Is a traumatic experience associated with a 'break' in SA what essentially qualifies people for Surgebinders? We know nothing of the past experiences of many other bridgemen (the experiences on the Shattered Plains could qualify for all of them, but then I think what we might end up with is thousands and thousands of would-be Surgebinders or at least Squires). Teft could reasonably have had a traumatic experience when he watched his mother get executed (I might be confusing his father and mother, Teft was present for the carrying out of the death sentence of one of his parents, not both), but we have virtually no information on what other bridgemen have been through.

We know that rock's (insert the name for horneater lord) who was his family went down from the peaks and then died. Rock was so angry he risked his life by cooking chull dung for Sadeas

• 1 month later...

I agree with hooded. My reasoning being that the lopen has proven that he can basically find/obtain almost anything needed through his "cousins." to me this sounds like an accurate depiction of a "willshaper" i think he will obtain a bond/spren which he will name cousin

Edited by stonedshaman

Yes i am aware of this. Im just saying that i think the lopen is more willshaper than windrunner. Also Yata is your name a reference to the japanese boy band of the same name?

O.O No I don't even know them .... I am afraid to discover who they are.

Anyway returning to the Knigh Radiant and The Lopen.

We don't know if being a Squire has some relationship with the Order or just a "strong bond" with the Knight Radiant.

What I want to say is that we don't know if a Windrunner's squire has to be different from a Dustbringer's Squire".

I agree with hooded. My reasoning being that the lopen has proven that he can basically find/obtain almost anything needed through his "cousins." to me this sounds like an accurate depiction of a "willshaper" i think he will obtain a bond/spren which he will name cousin

If this is the reason why can't he be a Lightweaver instead?