Dawnshards spawn Shardblades and shardplate?

jefftucker0525

I know this is probably wrong, but i have a theory that the Dawnshards spawn the Plate and Blade. The name Dawnshards implies that they came first, in the begining. So wouldn't it make sense that, after an aspiring KR says their final oath that they, in ancient times, went to the Dawnshard(s) and BAM they had Plate and Blade instantly made?

We see that as Syl stays with Kaladin she slowly regains her memories, she specifically said that if they lsoe eachother she loses her memories too. So I feel like she will finally gain the last piece of the puzzle, the making of Plate and Blade, when Kaladin speaks his last oath.

If someone has come up with this idea previosly I'm sorry otherwise let me know what you think.

Sounds plausible to me that the shardblades and plates are created using dawnshards.  It doesn't necessarily jive with my personal theory, but it is also not necessarily opposed to it either.  If it has been discussed previously, it hasn't really been talked about in the last 4 months.

That's an interesting idea. The following quotes might give some evidence:

“Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. Speak again the ancient oaths and return to men the Shards they once bore.” He [Honor] turned to Dalinar, meeting his eyes. “The Knights Radiant must stand again.”

(...)

“I wish I could do more,” repeated the figure in gold. “You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And… without the Dawnshards… Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone.”

TWoK Chapter 75 (emphasizes mine)

And this:

Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above.

TWoK Epigraph Chapter 36

That might describe that last step to become a Knight Radiant (what would imply that "the Dawnshard" was a kin of a relict, kept by the leaders of the Knights Radiant to give to the new-becoming KR for their last step of progression).

Or: Dawnshards are the original, old name for what now is called Honorblade.

(Just a baseless musing.)

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought of the Dawnshards as some sort of weapon above the Shardblades, or Honorblades(which is what I believe are the blades carried by the Heralds). Clearly there are terms to the Oathpact that allow for a champion, and I figured that the Heralds would choose one of their own, or someone else if that isn't allowed, and give them the Dawnshard as their weapon in that fight if it came to that. I figure the breaking of the Oathpact is what made it so they can't get that weapon, which might be why Odium tortured them, so that if it ever came to direct confrontation, they would no longer be able to provide that.

My impression is that the Dawnshards are agents or tools of creation rather than agents or tools of destruction (like weapons).  this is evidenced by Kabsal statements that the four ciites (which match cymatic patterns) were created by the Dawnshards.  The connection between the Dawnshards and the Dawnsingers feels strong to me.  The Dawnshards were used by the Dawnsingers?  This is what feels right to me.  

I'm going to agree with Shardlet on this one. The Dawnshards may be needed to create Shardblades/plate, but I don't believe they are weapons themselves.

I think we need some kind of artifact that was purposed towards creation to balance against everything that was bent towards destruction.

• 4 weeks later...

wow, I forgot about these quotes.... So:

* Szeth has his powers not from a bond with a spren => from a bond with a dawnshard? Since the dawnshards can bind... ? Is there a difference between dawnshards and herald's swords? Are these the 3 types of shards BS was talking about? - dawnshards (seen at Szeth and Darkness), herald swords (seen at the heralds, then 9 of them abandoned), and human shards? I do not believe heralds took back their swords...

* voidish or mortal creature => voidish creatures are not mortal? are voidish creatures then not of physical (i.e. from cognitive?). We don't know that spren are all there is in the cognitive realm... or is Darkness (if not Nalan) a voidish creature (since he is not mortal)?

If the Dawnshards were weapons, then who wielded them? If not the Heralds, Honors chosen champions, then who? Who would be more trusted?

Voidish of mortal creatures — I believe that Odium has a mixed bag. Thunderclasts and Midnight Essence appear to be voidish, but I also believe that Odium is capable of corrupting spren bonds to creatures native to Roshar. If this is true, then Odium, or his Anti-Heralds, can corrupt the spren that bond with Chasm Fiends and Parshendi, as well as anything else that has a Gemheart or bonds with spren. So axehounds are probably safe, as would be chulls, but anything bigger or that has formed a relationship with spren is fair game. They are still mortal creatures. Humans are not native to Roshar, so the spren bonds they make may be exempt, or the Oathpact may prohibit tampering with humans in such a way.

It makes me wonder if the dawnshards were remnants of Adolnasium, or if they were something of Honor and/or Cultivation.  I agree that it feels more like a tool to me than a weapon.  I wonder if they wer destroyed with Honor or if they've merely been hidden/removed from Roshar.  

It does seem that we be getting more information about the Dawnshards/singers soon, if Navani gets Jasnah on board with translating the dawnchant.  I can only imagine how she'd tackle that project.

• Chaos locked this topic