Nicrosil Question

xXEldestXx

Sorry about the derailing. Problem is, this was all-the-sudden being discussed on 3 threads at the same time, so we had to pick somewhere. I thought that there wasn't much more discussion to be had on the matter, so did not anticipate the need to engage in debate over interpretation.

It turns out that it was just a misunderstanding on both sides, though.

Feruchemical nicrosil is weird and we know nothing about it. It's a bit hard to theorize anything relating to it at this point.

I concur. Having never seen Feruchemical nicrosil and having such a vague definition, I could start claiming that Feruchemical nicrosil lets you store cats, and you might be hard-pressed to actually prove me wrong. In short, it's fine to speculate, but I don't think anyone without inside information can do so seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth noting that just because D/N don't add power to the metal doesn't mean that bursting a burst wouldn't do anything, as Brandon said when you compress that power to an instant it can become infinitely strong, if say bursting caused a metal to burn in 1/100th of the normal burn time that would make it 100x stronger, if you bursted that burst then you could compress the time even further to 1/10000th of the normal time for 10,000 times the strength.

It's worth noting that just because D/N don't add power to the metal doesn't mean that bursting a burst wouldn't do anything, as Brandon said when you compress that power to an instant it can become infinitely strong, if say bursting caused a metal to burn in 1/100th of the normal burn time that would make it 100x stronger, if you bursted that burst then you could compress the time even further to 1/10000th of the normal time for 10,000 times the strength.

Then, if you were at Scadrial's escape height and velocity, with a large enough number of Coinshot-Nicroburst pairs, you could have the Coinshots all steelpushing against the planet's core hard enough to launch a spaceship to near-light speeds? I mean, the coinshots would all probably either have a single point of force drilled through their center of mass or simply squished to death in a balanced manner all over their bodies in a moment, but you could get going.

Then, if you were at Scadrial's escape height and velocity, with a large enough number of Coinshot-Nicroburst pairs, you could have the Coinshots all steelpushing against the planet's core hard enough to launch a spaceship to near-light speeds? I mean, the coinshots would all probably either have a single point of force drilled through their center of mass or simply squished to death in a balanced manner all over their bodies in a moment, but you could get going.

You could reach near light speed with that method but you still wouldn't be able to exceed it, and as you pointed out you'd kill the coinshots. The current preailing opinions on FTL travel mostly involve time bubbles of some form.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to let you guys know, I asked Brandon to answer the following question on my signed copy of WoR from Weller Books: "If Nicroburst A targets Nicroburst B, and Nicroburst B targets a Coinshot, will the resulting steelpush be greater than one without Nicroburst A?" 

I'll let you know if I get an answer!

(I was going to ask "If a Nicroburst targets a mistborn during a duralumin flared steelpush, will the result be greater than from the duralumin alone?" but I figured this is less relevant given the lack of mistborn moving forward.)

• 4 weeks later...

Update! (Sorry for the double post, but the last one is pretty old, and I don't know if the thread comes up as having new content if I just edit...)

Brandon answered my question with the following: "yes (I think)"

This is not my particular area of specialty, but I think this has some interesting implications.

Maybe Peter can confirm/deny this, if he sees this post?

Hum. That is interesting, and is different than what we know of nicrosil. So far as we know, it was supposed to burn up all of the other person's metals in an instantaneous flash, not adding any power. Maybe Kurk can correct me on that. I'll look for WoBs after I'm done work.

• Chaos locked this topic