The Code Monkey's Object-Oriented Guide to Realmatic Theory

skaa

It's a poorly worded quote, quite the pity that Brandon didn't send it past his editor before it showed up on Theoryland. Some neat things about it though.

Breath = life force

Non-nalthians have life force too, but it's different than breath

You can give breath to non-nalthians, but they can't awaken anything with it. (doesn't say if they get perfect pitch, color perception, immortality etc)

Theory: non-nalthians can use hemalurgy (or Lerasium burned with the proper intent) to grant the required Identity to Awaken with Breaths. 

It's a poorly worded quote, quite the pity that Brandon didn't send it past his editor before it showed up on Theoryland. Some neat things about it though.

Breath = life force

That's in the official synopsis, too.

Under the rule of the remote, all-powerful God King, they live in the lap of luxury, basking in the worship of the people, accepting in tribute the gifts of freely-given breath, the life-force that keeps them alive and eternally youthful.

/>I'm pretty sure " That's not to say that they can't receive breaths though" implies you can *get* a breath.

"They" applies to "someone not from Nalthis were to suddenly gain the ability to become an Awakener", not all non-Nalthisians.

You can give breath to non-nalthians, but they can't awaken anything with it. (doesn't say if they get perfect pitch, color perception, immortality etc)

Actually, the quote doesn't say that. Bear with me here. The quote says a non-Nalthian who suddenly became an Awakener couldn't use the life-force they already have to Awaken. It doesn't say that they couldn't use extra Breaths to Awaken (or if being imbued with extra Breath would be enough to make them an Awakener).

Possibly being needlessly pedantic, but considering how much we don't know about awakening still, I'd prefer not to muddy things with incorrect data.

Edit: for the record, I think you need something more than Breath to be an Awakener (something of Endowment in your sDNA) but the quote isn't explicit on this.

Edited by Senor Feesh

Actually, the quote doesn't say that. Bear with me here. The quote says a non-Nalthian who suddenly became an Awakener couldn't use the life-force they already have to Awaken. It doesn't say that they couldn't use extra Breaths to Awaken (or if being imbued with extra Breath would be enough to make them an Awakener).

Possibly being needlessly pedantic, but considering how much we don't know about awakening still, I'd prefer not to muddy things with incorrect data.

Edit: for the record, I think you need something more than Breath to be an Awakener (something of Endowment in your sDNA) but the quote isn't explicit on this.

I was under the assumption that if someone not from Nalthis was given Breath, they only had that Breath with which to use for Awakening and that they couldn't use their own color, thereby becoming a drab like Viviana did in Warbreaker.

So Hoid could only use the Breath he was given to awaken with, and after using it, he wouldn't be able to use his own color as a breath. The reason being that he was not from Nalthis and he had no Investiture from Endowment.

Edited by Windborne Sword

I was under the assumption that if someone not from Nalthis was given Breath, they only had that Breath with which to use for Awakening and that they couldn't use their own color, thereby becoming a drab like Viviana did in Warbreaker.

So Hoid could only use the Breath he was given to awaken with, and after using it, he wouldn't be able to use his own color as a breath. The reason being that he was not from Nalthis and he had no Investiture from Endowment.

Ok, those are certainly reasonable interpretations and I don't aim to refute them (lacking any evidence to do so anyway). However these are only implied.

Facts explicit from the quote given:

• Breath and life-force are the same thing, or very, very similar.
  • A non-Nalthian who suddenly became an Awakener couldn't use the life-force they already have to Awaken.
  • could still receive Breath.

Taking this further, some reasonable assumptions would be:

• A non-Nalthian Awakener with a supply of Breath beyond their own inherent life-force could use them to Awaken.
  • A non-Nalthian, non-Awakener could receive Breath (the ability to Awaken may still be a separate thing however).

Also, Brandon told me in person that you could give Breath to a mistwraith.

Alright. I'll edit the Heightening section of Part III. Thanks, Phantom!

As for Breaths being a special kind of life force, I indicated in the "Creation of BioChromatic Breath" section of Part III that the Breath is a part of the soul, which I suppose is the "life force" we're talking about here.

Edited by skaa

Ok, those are certainly reasonable interpretations and I don't aim to refute them (lacking any evidence to do so anyway). However these are only implied.

Facts explicit from the quote given:

• Breath and life-force are the same thing, or very, very similar.
  • A non-Nalthian who suddenly became an Awakener couldn't use the life-force they already have to Awaken.
  • could still receive Breath.

Taking this further, some reasonable assumptions would be:

• A non-Nalthian Awakener with a supply of Breath beyond their own inherent life-force could use them to Awaken.
  • A non-Nalthian, non-Awakener could receive Breath (the ability to Awaken may still be a separate thing however).

My only quibble with this is that I would say that "Breath is a type of life-force, but not all life-force manifests as breaths."

Beyond that, I suspect you are right.  It is certainly very reasonable to believe that from Brandon's answers.

• 3 years later...

Thanks guys. I may have to revisit this to see if I still agree with the conclusions I made three years ago. But then, this isn't really a theory so much as a way to explain to myself the concept of the Three Realms via programming analogies. Nowadays my main Realmatic theory is a weird sort of string theory I concocted last year.

Edited by skaa
fixed link

• Chaos locked this topic