On the Strength of Rending Chalklings and Lines of Revocation

Tarontos

So I had this thought well thinking about lines of revocation. Joel says lines of revocation are stronger than lines of vigor. Also lines of forbidance are stronger than lines of warding. So my thought is that lines that can affect the physical world are stronger. This would explain why students are taught the glyph of rending at Nebrask, to make there chalklings stronger. .

thoughts 

Also, lines that can affect the real world are straight, or angular. Lines that only affect chalk are curved.

Whatever the Glyph of Rending is, I expect it to be really pointy, with lots of straight lines, as a way of conveying the "straight lines -> real world" property onto the chalking.

Edited by Morsk

Also, lines that can affect the real world are straight, or angular. Lines that only affect chalk are curved.

Whatever the Glyph of Rending is, I expect it to be really pointy, with lots of straight lines, as a way of conveying the "straight lines -> real world" property onto the chalking.

what about the lines of silencing, are they affecting the real world, or the 2d chalk one?

Edited by Tarontos

what about the lines of silencing, are they affecting the real world, or the 2d chalk one?

The line of silencing definitely doesn't fit my theory, but it's so weird anyway that there could be other things going on with it.

They affect the sense of hearing. I'm not sure if there's a separation between mental and physical properties in the Rithmatist magic system (this isn't Cosmere, after all, so the Cognitive Realm isn't a thing), but that would help fit the lines of silencing in Morsk's theory.

They probably affect wavelengths or something similar to that, if you want to tie it into the smooth vs sharp thing.

EDIT: But aside form my horrible terminology, this would cause a hos tof other problems neve rnoted in the book.

EDIT EDIT: Note that in one section, Joel mentions that he can speak normally, but can't yell without being dampened. So with range, the symbol doesn't weaken at all, but simply raises the bar fo rhow loud you can be, kind of like the triangle theory for a line of forbiddence. Interesting.

Edited by Observer