Random thoughts about Coinshots and guns

teonvin

Since AoL and the upcoming trilogies are set in a world where guns exist,  I have been thinking how Coinshots would really work with them.

I've been wondering, if say you line up a whole bunch of riflemen at the front line, can you just use one single Coinshot sitting at the back and then as they fire, the Coinshot just push on all the bullets together? Or better yet,  a Mistborn that pushes with the help of duranium. If this works the effect would be terrifying, can probably even turn a old musket inti something that can matches a modern anti material rifle.

You could but the bullet would spread out as the push originates from the Coinshots centre of mass. Yes, they're going to be more powerful, but if your shots are all wildly off target all you would do is cause more collateral damage. Better to have the Coinshot holding a gun for just that extra power/speed (if it's needed at all). 

I can't tell if you've read it or not from your post, but if you haven't I suggest reading AoL, the main character happens to be a gun-wielding coinshot.

the way I understand it, the push of a coinshot has a maximum speed of propagation. Otherwise, a duraluminium-enhanced push should send a coin fast enough that it would melt for the attrition with the air, but we don't see it happen. So, I suppose it is just like accelerating a bullet with gunpowder: if the powder explodes with a certain speed, you cannot accelerate a bullet faster than that, no matter how much powder you use.

And since people have been shown to be able to react to coins pushed against them, we have to assume that they are slower than bullets. So pushign a bullet shouldn't accelerate it, even if it would grant it more penetration power on impact, as the push would then "catch up" with the bullet and grant extra momentum.

I think Wax did it once in AoL prologue, to perforate a wooden cover

• Chaos locked this topic