Brand new and full of questions

Fifth

HI all I have been a longtime Sanderson fan starting as soon as I heard that he would be finishing Wheel of Time so i promptly got Mistborn to check out he style....wow  and I have since found his works are by far my favorite fictions, I have (obviously) read all his cosmere works some for the second and third time and through the help of these forums have fit as much of the "known" pieces into place on the cosmere scale.

I have already got paperbacks of most of his works (all but Warbreaker) and just recently started ordering signed hardbacks from his website with the intention of getting a full Cosmere hardcover signed set :wub: ,

Now a very important questions for those of you in the know ...I have read here that the cosmere is apparently sitting at a planed 36 books total i'm guessing that's not counting novella like alloy of law or Emperor's soul so i'm assuming that Sanderson's Full epic is looking something like this so far.

Stormlight Archive = 10

Mistborn Trilogy    = 9

Elantris                 = 3

Warbreaker          = 2

White Sands         =  ??

Dragonsteel          = ??

Now with the "known" totals we at 24 that leaves 12 more books over 2 series ....This to me Feels very odd so if anyone knows if i have made any miss allocations of books in series or if the smaller novellas are going to be part of the 36 can some one let me know.

Ps; Hi i'm new  :P

Hello and welcome :D I'm sure you'll fit right in ;)

Someone said recently Dragonsteel was to be 5 books long, but I don't know if that's confirmed.

Is Elantris confirmed as a trilogy?

Alloy I would count; it's a full novel not a novella. Silence Divine might go into the Emperor's Soul category however.

I used to be able to answer this question off the top of my head, but I'm afraid it's been a while. I can say with reasonable confidence that Dragonsteel is 5 books, but don't quote me 100% on that. I'll see if I can look up the answer again and get back to you.

In the meantime, have a cookie: 

welcomecookie.jpg

Hello and welcome :D I'm sure you'll fit right in ;)

Someone said recently Dragonsteel was to be 5 books long, but I don't know if that's confirmed.

Is Elantris confirmed as a trilogy?

Alloy I would count; it's a full novel not a novella. Silence Divine might go into the Emperor's Soul category however.

Depends on how you define, "Dragonsteel". Some people like to attach Liar of Partinal and Lightweaver of Rens to the series. However, they're set centuries before the main Dragonsteel sequence and the stories are largely unconnected.(Think like the first Mistborn trilogy and Alloy). The main Dragonsteel sequence is set to be five books.

Yeah, Elantris is going to be a loose trilogy, with side characters from the previous books becoming main ones in the new one.

Alloy would not figure into the count of 36, because that number was given before Alloy was even a short story.

White Sand is a trilogy, and there's another cosmere novel you don't have on there. Silence Divine, a standalone set on a world in the same solar system as Roshar

I'm glad you came to discuss with us, Fifth!

Found the breakdown.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/k0fp8/iama_professional_fantasy_novelist_named_brandon/c2gkalw

2- I've read that you were thinking of 32-36 books total for the Cosmere, but it seems like the series are going to go beyond that if numbers you've given before are published (e.g. Mistborn being a trilogy of trilogies so 9, Stormlight Archive 10, Warbreaker 2, Dragonsteel 6 or 7, and still White Sand and others to come) so has the estimate of 32 been thrown out the window?

2) Eh...I don't know. My original breakdown:

Mistborn 9 Wabreaker 2 Elantris 3 White Sand 3 Stormlight 10 Silence Divine 1 Dragonsteel 7 (A two book and a five book.)

That's the 32, with allowances for a few side stories to get us to 36. There are planets not included in that, however, that I may write stories about. So maybe. But the core cycle is this (in order)

Dragonsteel Mistborn first trilogy Stormlight - Mistborn second trilogy (around the same time.) Mistborn third trilogy.

Everything else is important in their own stories, but as we're talking about the connections between the worlds are considered, this is the prime cosmere cycle.

Found the breakdown.

Cheer looks like the 36 number is a fairly loose approximation so i'm gonna just have to take it as it come ...the more the better IMO as long as he doesn't leave any open ends i'm a happy camper :)   .  

So what is "Dragonsteel"? To me it sounds like short stories that have already been published? Or are we still waiting on that series?

The original Dragonsteel was Brandon's thesis novel at BYU.  First cosmere book, part of a planned series.

There's one copy available in existence.  Several elements have been ripped out of it for other books, like the stormlight archive's shattered plains; it'll have tons of rewriting before it becomes published.

Because of the low availability, possibility of spoilers, and non-canon status, dragonsteel is currently [REDACTED], and as such any conversations should avoid mentioning [DELETED] or [EXPUNGED].

• 2 weeks later...

None of these lists include Alloy of Law and it's subsequent book(s).  These books are not a part of the Mistborn Trilogy of Trilogies even though they are all on the same world, use the same magic systems, and are in the Cosmere.  While events of Cosmeric import may not end up being played out in these books, they should not be overlooked since there have been and, I expect, will be more Cosmere tidbits included in them.

• Chaos locked this topic