Theory: Stick is a stick

WayneSpren

The Cosmere is filled with characters who are too eager to change. Too eager to become something they're not. Oh, they might hold out for a page or two, but a few convincing words from Shallan and they'll become something they never wanted to be. And for what? To "serve"? Do any of these things ask themselves what they're serving, and is it worth it?

No.

None but Stick.

Some might see Stick's refusal to change as an act of defiance. The last terrible thing to happen to Shallan on a very terrible day. To that, I say Bah! And also You're wrong. Because what Stick did? He wasn't defiant. He wasn't mean. He simply told the truth:

I am a stick.

Again and again, Stick repeated the truth. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick.

Within those words, we see a spirit that refuses to bend. A soul that knows who and what it is. A being that doesn't need to defy anyone, but must simply say, again and again, what it is. To tell others that it is content as it is, and no amount of desperate persuasion will convince it to change. A soul that is content simply to be.

Thank you, Stick. You're an inspiration to us all.

Has anyone considered that what she was doing is just not the normal way to soulcast something?  It's not like she "spoke" with the goblet in her room and asked it to become blood...  Perhaps any and everything wants to stay the way it is and you generally have to "force" things to change via soulcasting and stormlight.

Hmm... it's a good theory, but to accept it I'll need a little more evidence. Is there anything in the text that actually says he is a stick, or is that just a common reader assumption?

Well, if you accept this deleted scene as canon, then you pretty much have to accept that the stick is a stick.  Otherwise, we only have Shallan's word for it, and we know she's an unreliable narrator.

• Chaos locked this topic