Tips for all Members wanting to join the Reckoners RPG

Elithanathile

So I've been wanting to get into the world of the reckoners RPG for a while now, but I've been confused on how to begin. It looks so dark, and creepy, and..... pony-y? So I was hoping that some veterans of the thread could come and explain how to get started, and how the RPG works. You know, as a kind of, "It's dangerous to go alone, take this," kind of thing. A big thank you in advance to all those that do share their wisdom here, and I hope this thread helps everyone, or at least many, people who wanted to RP, but were to afraid to ask. Or did ask. Them too. Know what, everyone can read this if they want to.

Questions thread? Such as, "Question 12" or "Question 8" etc?

The most current Question. I think they're on 13 right now. They keep on closing the old Question threads when they reach 100 pages, so... yeah. 

Go to the latest Question thread, which happens to be Question 12. (You'll be able to tell which one is current because the others are all locked. :P

I'd also suggest reading Rules and Etiquette and, if you haven't done free-form role playing before, the What Is Free-Form Role Playing? thread will give you an idea of what we expect from new players. (TL;DR version: We'd rather have an interesting, engaging character with boring powers or no powers at all than a boring character with the most interesting powers in the world.) The Rules and Etiquette thread will also tell you which threads are currently accepting Epics, if you want to play with an Epic character. However, since so many people have already entered with Epic characters, regular humans are very much welcome. 

Once you have a character in mind, post what you have in the latest Question thread. This could be a full bio, or just a few notes. If you have a thread in mind, say which thread you'd like to join in your post; if not, ask where other players think this character would fit best. 

At any given time, there's only one unlocked Question Thread, currently it's 12. That's the thread we use for discussion and planning.

The RPG itself works pretty easily. In the Question thread, we plan out what will happen, and make a lot of jokes, Then we make the plans happen in the City threads by writing for our characters.

It's best to introduce your character in the Question thread so that the rest of the players can vet it, making sure they aren't too Op and such.

For a more in depth explanation, check out What is Free form Roleplaying and Rules and Etiquette.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Twi. Of course I Was.

Edited by The Only Joe

I am a relatively new member to the Reck. RPG, I only participate in the Corvallis thread, I would recommend starting there. There are relatively few people there currently and there is little to catch up on, making it easier to understand what is going on, and what your character should do and be like. 

Another pice of info you might want to take going in. There are most likely going to be some questioning (there's a pun in here, I know it :ph34r: ) both for understanding's and curiosity's sake. Those are not in anyway meant to bother anyone entering or something like that, us wanting to know just shows how much we care. No need to worry, we don't bite. ;)

Also concerning the tag: all you need to know about Nighthound is that he's a terrible terrible person.

The Reckoners RPG is like a dance--you learn how to do it by joining in the fun and moving with everyone else. :)

That said, here's some good reading material:

• What is Free Form Roleplaying? This thread details what kind of RP this is, with a few basic guidelines for new players.
  • Rules and Etiquette.  Essential for new players. This tells you clearly and concisely what few things are disallowed, and gives a few more friendly tips to new players.
  • This thread details a lot of the in-jokes and fanon that have developed around the RP.
  • The current Question thread, for all your pug, pony, and planning needs.

Hope to see you around real soon! :D

Another pice of info you might want to take going in. There are most likely going to be some questioning (there's a pun in here, I know it :ph34r: ) both for understanding's and curiosity's sake. Those are not in anyway meant to bother anyone entering or something like that, us wanting to know just shows how much we care. No need to worry, we don't bite. ;)

Also concerning the tag: all you need to know about Nighthound is that he's a terrible terrible person.

Right. You will be asked more than a few questions about your character, and these questions are meant to help you flesh out your character better, smooth out the rough edges, etc. They're not intended as an attack or anything, and they really do help. Heck, I'm GM over there and I've had to answer a not-insignificant number of questions about characters I've had since the beginning, and answering those questions really helped me improve those characters. Our end goal is to…well, destroy Oregon, but also to tell a good story, and questions to clarify unclear things help tell a better story. 

And then Nighthound died. 

I'd also like to add that knowing which thread you want your character to join is always a good idea. That does not mean you need to read them in their entirety, but asking players about the settings is a good idea (either in the Question thread or a PM). I say this because almost all of the settings were made with a specific idea for a story/concept in mind. For example, Corvallis was intended to have very little action in the grand scheme of things, so inserting a character that is action oriented might not be the best idea. Meanwhile, Salem was made with the express purpose to have action packed fights occurring on a regular basis.