Which Brandon Character Would You Date?

Chaos

Adolin has plenty of girls chasing his heels, and I've never been one to go after the so-called "ladies' man." I'll leave Adolin to his serial courtships and spend my time with the other brother.

As for villians, well. I don't have a problem thinking about dating the villians, but they've got to be charming and attractive to me. Denth fits the bill, because he's clever, funny, and I tend to picture him as attractive. Hrathen might be, but I think he acts too old for me. Rashek seems like a bit of an angry jerk before being TLR and a humorless dictator after. Steelheart? Not attractive at all. I actually tend to dislike guys who have tons of muscles like superheroes usually do. It's just kinda... ick.

Raoden, hands down. Because I am literally Sarene, and it's canon. I really am her though - mannerisms, looks - minus a couple inches, actions, word choices, everything. About thirty people have independently told me that reading Elantris was fun/interesting/uncomfortable because it felt to them like reading about me. One particularly observant friend actually predicted every plot point in the book by knowing how I would react to the situations presented. So all you guys that said Sarene... ;)

Seriously though, Raoden.

He's a good leader with good ideas. He wants to help people, and isn't satisfied with the status quo. He has real friends, and earns their loyalty. He can appreciate both knowledge and athletics (we could talk about books, and then fence against each other, and then talk about fencing in books! Is there a more perfect date? I think not!). He cares about people, is self-sacrificing and charitable, is good with kids, and is organized. Token reference to the fact that he is attractive, rich, a king, and magically talented, because why not. He is kind, and funny, and just the right amount of sarcastic/teasing.

And for every reference to Siri's hair:

Raoden. Literally. Glows.

his is difficult. Before I answer, I should describe at least a small amount of my background. I am 72", 180lbs, athletic, and I served four years in the Marine Corps Infantry deploying both to Iraq and to Afghanistan. I am a combst veteran. I don't mean to toot my own horn here. The reason I bring it up is this:

I find most of these women intimidating. (I suppose in much the same way Elend initially felt about Vin.) They're either much more powerful than I am, or they're acquainted with men much more powerful than myself.

I think it would prove to be difficult to have a balanced dynamic in a relationship when your girlfriend saved the world and all you did was fight in a scam of a war, struggle through a few semesters of college, and attempt to make ends meet.

All that aside, I would choose Vin. Because I respect her values. ...although, my wife might kill us both. Yeah, the more I think about it the more I realize that if Rayse witnessed my wife catching Vin and I together, he'd offer my wife his Shard on the grounds that she deserves it more than he does.

Well, muscles are kinda nice for me, make a pleasure to look at, especialy without a shirt. That's the problem. How many characters  has been shirtless in all books? :wub:

SPOILER WARNING FOR JUST ABOUT ALL THE COSMERE BOOKS (tags would be too difficult with the quotes and all)

That was probably a rhetorical question, but I'm gonna be that person and go ahead and answer it. As an academic exercise, of course. Certainly not for the benefit of any of my fellow androphillic fans...

So, let's see... there's Kaladin, who's gets a bit of a striptease when he first gets to the Shattered Plains.

“Remove your top, slave,” she commanded.

Kaladin stared her right in her blue eyes and felt an almost irresistible urge to spit at her. No. No, he couldn’t afford that. Not when there was a chance. He pulled his arms out of the sacklike clothing, letting it fall to his waist, exposing his chest.

(WoK, Ch. 6)

After that he ends up tearing up his shirt to make pads for his feet and shoulders on his first bridge run, so he's probably shirtless for most of that too.

Elend's certainly shirtless in the scene after he and Vin's tent-based honeymoon suite in The Well of Ascension. The chapter mentions Vin sleeping on his chest, the fact that she's topless when she sits up, "exposing a bare torso." He remarks that either of them being dressed would "make things a little awkward" and then later talks about looking "over at his clothing" and getting dressed. So yeah. Shirtless Elend.

Sazed's also got a full nudity scene when he gets captured by the Inquisitors and thrown into a cell with Vin back in The Final Empire. But that's more of a vulnerable kind of nudity, rather than an attractive shirtless scene. Still, bears mention for the sake of comprehensiveness.

Over in Warbreaker, Susebron's probably shirtless, if not more, for quite a bit of his and Siri's scenes together. Not to mention, when she first arrives, Siri sees some of the shirtless male Returned walking about. 

Siri leaned forward, studying one god as he walked right by her box. His bare chest made her blush, but it let her see his well-muscled body 

and toned flesh.

There's the aftermath of Wax's fight with Miles in The Alloy of Law, where we get a couple of good gems:

Waxillium had his coat, vest, and shirt off, and was holding a bandage to his side.

[Marasi] raised her hands to her mouth at the sight of the bloody bandage, then immediately turned beet red at seeing him with his shirt off. He did have a moment of pride in the fact that, though he had some gray in his hair, he still had the lean muscles of a much younger man.

Hmm... and it's been too long since I read Elantris to remember if there's any shirtless scenes in that one. Also, I don't have a copy on hand. Any takers?

Anyway, as the astute reader can see, there's plenty of shirtless scenes around the Cosmere if that suits your fancy. Now, if you're a girl like me though... see, I tend to go for men in uniforms and well cut suits. I would like to now take a moment to thank Tindwyl and Dalinar for making sure that my two main guy crushes (Elend and Renarin) are in uniform at pretty much all times. And now that Kaladin's a captain in Dalinar's army, he's gonna get a uniform too. The Almighty smiles on us all it seems...

Edited by FeatherWriter

Guest AmruthS

@FeatherWriter

There are scenes from Elantris where the characters are bare-chested (shirtless)...

Raoden jumped, turning as a growling, bare-chested Elantrian charged from a darkened hallway, running toward Raoden. Raoden barely had time to step backward as the wildman lifted a rusted iron bar and swung it directly at Raoden's face.

“Merciful Domi,” Sarene whispered. The king stood facing her behind an altar, a red-streaked knife raised in his hand. He was completely naked except for the blood smearing his chest. 

Raoden] They were bare-chested, and their eyes seemed to burn. They looked like men, but their flesh was ridged and disfigured, as if a carved piece of metal had somehow been inserted beneath the skin. One of Raoden's soldiers scored a hit, but the weapon left barely a mark-scratching where it should have sliced.

Hrathen ran his eyes over Dilaf 's bare chest, seeing the twisted patterns that had always been hiding beneath the Arteth's robes.

GALLADON hid in the shadows, careful not to move until the gyorn and his strange, bare-chested companions were gone. Then, motioning to Karata, he crept up to Raoden's body. “Sule?” Raoden did not move.

[Hrathen] He looked at the greave, then shook his head, pulling off his bulky cotton underclothing, meant to cushion the armor. He stood bare-chested, wearing only a pair of thin, knee-length trousers and a long, sleevelike band of cloth around his right arm.

[Lukel] He watched in despair as one of the bare-chested warriors tossed a torch onto the pile of Elantrians. The oil-soaked bodies burst into flames.

[Dilaf] The gyorn, however, began to stand up straighter, his grip tightening. Beneath his cloak. Hrathen was bare-chested, and Raoden could see that his skin there bore no Dakhor markings, though it was wet with blood from a wound at his side. Only the bones in his arm had the strange twisted patterns.

and few other scenes mention Dilaf's monks who are bare-chested.

As for dating, I never condsidered the female characters as date-able for me.

Am surprised that Lift isn't mentioned, I thought a few could have mentioned her due to her awesomeness. I know she's a bit young but then...

Edited by AmruthS

Yeah... and I enjoyed many of them :)

Though... Elend is a book-eater, a date with two of them would be certainly in a book store or library. ANd then both get lost and never meet each other again.

Though I don't date zombies (dead, no pulse, no breathing), old kings, crazy monks, and gods, probably.

Though I would consider Kaladin, it'd be nice to have a doctor since I have a talent to get myself hurt. Plus he's dark haired, nice...

Raoden's in charge and sort of a king, and it'd mess with dates, so... hm.. no... Actually Galladon would be nice... though... he's got white hair...

Wax made a nice scene :) Wayne as well...

But Wax is a little dumb or "oblivius" about women. And if Wayne is hurt, I'd be probably kidnapped meanwhile he's checking on Wayne.

Who's Lift?

For the sake of completeness, Vasher is shirtless at least twice in Warbreaker.

Once he changes in front of Vivenna and her inner monologue goes something like "Why am I watching? I should turn away.  Chest hair."

Then at the end there's the scene were he just wears a towel around his waist.

See with the immortals, age gets kinda wierd. I tend to evaluate them based on how old they act rather than how old they actually are. So, like, I'd put Rashek as one of the oldest, because he just has this crazy "other" feel to his character. Vasher's probably the next old; as I'd put him at around his late forties or early fifties maybe. TenSoon's probably a bit "younger" than that, fully an adult but not quite as old-feeling. Then maybe Denth, who I'd put at late twenties, early thirties. Then Susebron, who because of how he was raised, I'd hesitate to put as older than twenty. 

My first pick would be Siri, but half of the other guys already want her. So I would go for Demoux's girlfriend Aslydin, a terriswoman. I'm somewhat surprised none of the guys wanted Beldre, Spook's girlfriend. I'm also very surprised none of the girls wanted Spook. What's not to like about Spook?

My first pick would be Siri, but half of the other guys already want her. So I would go for Demoux's girlfriend Aslydin, a terriswoman. I'm somewhat surprised none of the guys wanted Beldre, Spook's girlfriend. I'm also very surprised none of the girls wanted Spook. What's not to like about Spook?

Legendary mistborn, inventor of Scadrian latin, super important dude. Oh yeah, and he's canonically a stud. I ask the same question too.

• 2 weeks later...

Shallan hands down  :P red heads are my absolute favorite and her combination of smarts and snarky attitude just rubs me the right way! It would probably end horribly after I get accidentally killed by the Ghostbloods though  :wacko:  :lol:

Looking through the available men in the Cosmere...

Raoden: He's very noble and a great optimist, but I think I'd go crazy if I had to be with him for a while. Probably because I'd never be able to sleep from him glowing all the time. And I love sleep.

Kelsier: He's a bit too old and a bit too sociopathic for me. But a great sense of humor!

Elend: Probably my second choice, if only for the fact that he's intellectual and has a great sense of humor. I'd love to snark battle with Elend and discuss philosophy. However, I'd probably get tired of him loafing in the library all day.

Vasher: Vasher's a great guy, but I'm not a huge fan of grumpy people. He'd probably scare me to death or something.

Lightsong: Lightsong would be really fun to be with, but I think I'd get really tired of his flippancy. It'd be fun to just hang out together as friends or something and make fun of all the gods together. And eat grapes.

Susebron: Strangely enough, I really like Seb. He's innocent and charming, and apparently very attractive. :) Probably one of my first choices, if only because I really loved the Susebron/Siri relationship in Warbreaker. So sweet!

Kaladin: Another first choice, if only because he's also extremely noble and honorable, but also struggling with depression. I think we'd bond together rather well, as I have some empathy for his situation. Again though, Kaladin has his downside: he tends to be very critical of Lighteyes and falls into depressive episodes rather quickly. Oh well. I guess no man is perfect.

So, to rank them:

1. Kaladin

2. Susebron

3. Elend

EDIT: Just realized I posted an entire wall of text... *Sigh* Sorry, guys...

Edited by Chrono