Shardblade Hemalurgy?

Turos

OK, not spiking people with shardblades. I wonder about the similarities between a hemalurgic spike tearing away a part of the soul and a shardblade severing a part of the soul.

Does the severed soul remain in the limb? If not, where does it go? When a Radiant heals their soul, is that part reconnected or is it regrown?

Another question would be if a Radiant can heal or regrow a part of their soul stolen by hemalurgy. Would a spike in someone else then be rendered useless?

If a bloodmaker can heal spiritual spike damage I'd reckon stormlight can too in ridiculous quantities.

Gold compounders could actually make for an amusing endless supply of gold feruchemy and allomancy spikes as long as they have a good stockpile of burnable goldminds.

WoBs:

[01:21:40]
Questioner: How did Kaladin heal his shardblade wound without the power of Regrowth?
Brandon: That’s partially a RAFO.  Remember that healing in the cosmere usually has to do with how you view yourself.  And as long as there is some outpouring of Investiture you are usually capable of healing.  More the weird thing is not that Kaladin healed it’s that Szeth couldn’t.

[10:20]
Kurkistan: So you've said that healing is like the spiritual wants to heal and then it filters through the Cognitive, but how's that work with healing wounds to the soul like Hemalurgy or Shardblades? What do you refer to to heal the soul at that point?
Brandon: You need to make a patch on the soul with investiture.
Kurkistan: So how's the investiture know where to go, what to look like?
Brandon: Well your soul /is/ an ideal. So if you can get it up there, there are ways to do- to recreate that with um- see I'm getting into stuff for later books.
Argent: No, that’s okay.
Kurkistan: So when Hemalurgy rips something off the soul, is that the ideal soul or some sub-soul?
Brandon: That is off of your soul, and it can be healed; but what it's going to be doing is creating a patch of new soul. So it will not be your original soul. Does that make sense?
Kurkistan: Okay, that- well, not completely, but I think that's your intention.
Brandon: Yes.
Store Employee: If you do that, is that like Frankenstein's monster, or is it like a graft that's absorb-
Brandon: Less horrifying- Less horrifying than Frankenstein's monster, but it is a graft that is like- it is not your original soul.
Store Employee: Yeah, but in modern medicine stuff like that is absorbed-
Brandon: Yeah; in this you will always have a scar on your soul that something else has patched over.
Kurkistan: So Kaladin shouldn't just keep getting his arm chopped?
Brandon: [ignoring/not-hearing Kurkistan just now] But that is what happens with most forms of investiture in the first place.

(source)

The Investiture creates new soul, it doesn't reconnect it.

Yes, a Radiant should be able to heal something stolen with Hemalurgy; Feruchemical gold can heal that, and Stormlight can heal Spiritual wounds. They operate on the same principles.

Does the severed soul remain in the limb? If not, where does it go? When a Radiant heals their soul, is that part reconnected or is it regrown?

Neither, if we're getting technical. It's replaced by functional but distinctly "patchy" soul.

Source:

Kurkistan: So you've said that healing is like the spiritual wants to heal and then it filters through the Cognitive, but how's that work with healing wounds to the soul like Hemalurgy or Shardblades? What do you refer to to heal the soul at that point?

Brandon: You need to make a patch on the soul with investiture.

Kurkistan: So how's the investiture know where to go, what to look like?

Brandon: Well your soul _is_ an ideal. So if you can get it up there, there are ways to do- to recreate that with um- see I'm getting into stuff with later books.

Kurkistan: So when Hemalurgy rips something off the soul, is that the ideal soul or some sub-soul?

Brandon: That is off of your soul, and it can be healed; but what it's going to be doing is creating a patch of new soul. So it will not be your original soul. Does that make sense?

Kurkistan: Okay, that- well, not completely, but I think that's your intention.

Brandon: Yes.

Store Employee (Kevin, I think?): If you do that, is that like Frankenstein's monster, or is it like a graft that's absorb-

Brandon: Less horrifying- Less horrifying than Frankenstein's monster, but it is a graft that is like- it is not your original soul.

Kevin: Yeah, but in modern medicine stuff like that is absorbed-

Brandon: Yeah; in this you will always have a scar on your soul that something else has patched over.

Kurkistan: So Kaladin shouldn't just keep getting his arm chopped?

Brandon: <ignoring/not-hearing Kurkistan just now> But that is what happens with most forms of investiture in the first place.

Another question would be if a Radiant can heal or regrow a part of their soul stolen by hemalurgy. Would a spike in someone else then be rendered useless?

I doubt it, given the "new" nature of the patched piece of soul.

@natc

Quite. <imagine a devil-smiley here>

*Goes to post. Sees Moogle posted :ph34r: . Posts anyway.  -_- *

Edited by Kurkistan

Just so long as you don't take the part with the Nahel Bond they should be able to regenerate it. Even if they hit the heart as long as they are full of storm light when it happens should be able to be healed.

• Chaos locked this topic