World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

Yeah, I had always just assumed that windspren were green, because I associate that color with wind more than I do with blue. Also, Kredik Shaw seems to be nothing like I imagined it. I thought it was literally just a grouping of spires sticking out of the ground at odd angles, and that there was no actual palace building. And no matter how much I try and convince myself otherwise, shardblades all just look like giant katanas.

And now, for the weird one:

Parshmen and Parshendi. I'm still not sure if I can picture them correctly. I'm sure that they're described in the books as almost identical to people, except for the skin. Well, due to an online RPG I played when I was a kid, my image of them was completely wrong from the get-go. The name 'Parshmen' sounded very similar to 'Zardmen' from the game, which were essentially just lizardmen. So, naturally, I immediately thought that the Parshmen and Parshendi were black-and-red-skinned half men, half lizards.

Tied into that, of course, is that I only picture them as black and red. No white.

Also, since I'm still not sure if there' an official picture lookalike or something, what do you guys think koloss look like?

And no matter how much I try and convince myself otherwise, shardblades all just look like giant katanas.

Shardblades for me: I played a lot of Final Fantasy, and FFX and FFXII in particular (the PS2 games) have a large number of rather unique looking swords that are about 2-3x larger than any actual sword could be, and they tend to be rather flamboyantly designed/colored.

And now, for the weird one:

Parshmen and Parshendi. I'm still not sure if I can picture them correctly. I'm sure that they're described in the books as almost identical to people, except for the skin. Well, due to an online RPG I played when I was a kid, my image of them was completely wrong from the get-go. The name 'Parshmen' sounded very similar to 'Zardmen' from the game, which were essentially just lizardmen. So, naturally, I immediately thought that the Parshmen and Parshendi were black-and-red-skinned half men, half lizards.

Tied into that, of course, is that I only picture them as black and red. No white.

For some reason I had a similar problem with the skaa in mistborn. i don't know if it was something I remembered or maybe I was reading something else at the time and mixed it up or what, but for whatever reason I initially thought the skaa were some kind of animal-people and not just another race of humans.

Shardblades for me: I played a lot of Final Fantasy, and FFX and FFXII in particular (the PS2 games) have a large number of rather unique looking swords that are about 2-3x larger than any actual sword could be, and they tend to be rather flamboyantly designed/colored.

By WoB, ridiculously over-sized fantasy blades were some of the waaaaaaay back inspiration for the stormlight archive, so you're really not that far off.

I picture Inquisitors as massive, almost Hulk-sized brutes. Don't ask why, though. I have no idea.

Every Alethi has single coloured hair.

Kelsier has dark hair.

Hoid as Wit is Q.

All spheres are apple sized.

Sarene has brown hair, and her name is pronounced serene.

Oh, and I originally thought all Parshendi were black. I can picture them with red as well now, but I can not picture their skin as white. I think it's because the first Parshendi we see were black with red.

Do you guys give every race a different accent?

Chulls are Giant Horse Shoo Crabs. The end.

I always saw them as more hermit crabs.  and the chasmfiends as even bigger versions of that.   like chulls are hermit crabs the size of a large cow/small car, and chasmfiends are the size of a bus or even a house.

I had a similar thought for chull, which isnt actually too far off, but chasmfiends are nothing like I imagined. And the way they are described as moving is kind of hard to picture as well.

Chulls are Giant Horse Shoo Crabs. The end.

I always pictured them as turtles with shells that were way too big (tall). They will always have four legs to me.

I think of chasmfiends as giant crayfish. which are basically dark brown/gray lobsters nut more mean looking. And they'd have like 14 legs to (I think that's right)

to me chasmfiends look like the giant cockroach alien from men in black 1

chulls are giant woodlice and axe hounds look exactly like rust monsters from dnd

FighterFrighterendofRustMonster_ByWillMc

Syl is human coloured in a white dress, except for when shes objects

edit: oh and dalinar looks like keldorn from bg2

vg_rpg_bg2_keldorn.jpg

Edited by InstantWalrus

Mistborn

I do not know for the life of me what got this into my head, but somehow I thought Terrismen weren't even human. I somehow got that they were lizard people into my head, and I specifically saw them as the Skeksis from Dark Crystal. Finding out at the end of the book that the guy was really a Terris all along... surprised me. "How did no one notice he's a lizard?!?!" Again. No clue why I decided at some point they were lizard people.