Laws of the Cosmere?

Curse

I'm not quite sure if this belongs here, or in the site suggestions forum. Since it's more of a question, at the moment, I'm putting it here.

I know there is a a Cosmere 101 thread, but I was curious about whether or not there was something like a Cosmere 201 thread?

In reading a lot of these theories, people quote various laws or rules regarding different aspects of the cosmere, such as how shards interact with each other, people, or things, or how the different realms interact with eachother and I get confused on what might be an established Law of the Cosmere, and what is more general hypothesis.

If there isn't a thread for something like this, it may be beneficial for general theory-building, as it would give newer members and the general populace a more concrete, and consolidated, foundation to work from.

We don't have many hard and fast laws about shardic interactions or realmic interactions. From what I can remember, we know that shards are roughly equal in power, they are limited by their intent (i.e. preservation doesn't like to ruin things), and multiple shards means the potential for magic systems formed by interactions between shards as well as their own magic systems.

On realmic interactions, the spiritual plane can leak into the physical plane to form atium or gemstones. The physical form of a shard's power is limited while the liquid form can do almost anything depending on the volume. Transformation magic, including healing, is dependent on spiritual/cognitive physical interactions- the physical plane is a shadow of the idealized forms in the cognitive/spiritual and as such can only easily transform you into archetypes which have some representation in people's minds. You can force the transformation but it's hard and will fade quickly (TES). Sazed couldn't heal his castration because he didn't think of himself as a man with genitals.

Physical body parts correlate with parts of your spirit web, your soul. If you spike someone's eye you get a different part of their soul in your hemalurgical spike to if you spike their shoulder. A shardblade takes ten heartbeats to summon.

Syl, likely a cognitive being with shadows on the physical plane, interacting with the physical realm improves her memory.

That's all the confirmed stuff I can remember. Otherwise we have guessed and tried to fill in the gaps.

You should probably start with the more basic stuff. Like, "everything has a cognitive aspect".

I suppose.

Ok, everything has a soul, which can be interacted with using magic. You can make physical changes by changing the spiritual nature of an object.

We really do need something. For now, though, there is the Questions and Answers thread, and you can do some pretty cool things with searches.

...the physical plane is a shadow of the idealized forms in the cognitive/spiritual and as such can only easily transform you into archetypes which have some representation in people's minds...

A- That is a supposition based on your own personal theory (which I've just Leibniz'ed, coincidentally), not necessarily a commonly-held belief.

B- That was the single-most frighteningly sentence I've ever read. Apologize to poor Curse for scaring him half to death! :P/>

Edited by Kurkistan

We really do need something. For now, though, there is the Questions and Answers thread, and you can do some pretty cool things with searches.

A- That is a supposition based on your own personal theory (which I've just Leibniz'ed, coincidentally), not necessarily a commonly-held belief.

B- That was the single-most frighteningly sentence I've ever read. Apologize to poor Curse for scaring him half to death! :P/>/>

If you tweak the it a bit I think it's acceptable.

the physical plane is a linked to idealized forms in the cognitive/spiritual plane and as such can only easily transform you into ideal forms which have some representation in the object's cognitive/spiritual self. For example in TES a broken windows is connected to a idealized form of itself in the spiritual/cognitive realm in that it wants to see itself be beautiful

My theory, for any others reading, made it slightly larger, suggesting that the success of your transformation was dependent on what others thought as well as what you thought. It also used the terminology 'shadow' which Brandon has used to say that some cognitive beings only have a shadow on the physical plane.

^The origin of your "shadow" terminology is actually rather fatally against you, since there exist beings which exist primarily in the Physical and are only shadowed in the Cognitive. So "the physical plane" is most certainly not "a shadow of the idealized forms in the cognitive/spiritual".

Entities exist on all three realms that are only vaguely shadowed on the other realms.

You have seen entities who exist primarily on the Cognitive Realm + are shadowed on the Physical.

Edited by Kurkistan

^The origin of your "shadow" terminology is actually rather fatally against you, since there exist beings which exist primarily in the Physical and are only shadowed in the Cognitive. So "the physical plane" is most certainly not "a shadow of the idealized forms in the cognitive/spiritual".

Oops. My bad.

http://www.gnostic-centre.com/Plato.jpg

For anyone reading this confused, Brandon has said the magic system of his worlds uses the philosophy of plato's cave.

Edited by Nepene

Oops. My bad.

Does that mean you give up on your version of the "Archetypes" theory?

http://www.gnostic-centre.com/Plato.jpg

For anyone reading this confused, Brandon has said the magic system of his worlds uses the philosophy of plato's cave.

Yes, as I tried to point out in the beginning. And it's technically a mashup of Platonic Forms and "everything has a soul", not just the Allegory of the Cave, which was an illustration of Plato's Theory of Fomrs, not its entirety.

Edited by Kurkistan

Does that mean you give up on your version of the "Archetypes" theory?

No. When I was thinking of every possible well attested to connection between the realms I rushed in speaking and misspoke on shadows- I was wrongly using the term shadows to describe a connection between the realm rather than one realm being the source of a lesser being on another. It's nothing to do with my theories on the collective unconsciousness.

With the other thing I was trying to provide entertaining pictures for people reading the thread who would otherwise get bored. Perhaps this happy shoe would work for everything has souls?

http://i.imgur.com/2Sfbrv3.jpg

On topic of the thread, what we would really need would be a short list of quotes from the books and Brandon which would explain the main features of the Cosmere. That would be theory free.

Each of the 'Shardworlds' I've written in (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings) exists with the same cosmology. All things exist on three realms—the spiritual, the cognitive, and the physical. What's going on here is an interaction between the three realms. I don't want to bore you with my made up philosophy, but I do have a cohesive metaphysical reasoning for how my worlds and magic works. And there is a single plane of existence—called Shadesmar, the Cognative Realm—which connects them all.

Harmony

I have come to see that each power has three aspects: a physical one, which can be seen in the creations made by Ruin and Preservation; a spiritual one in the unseen energy that permeates all of the world; and a cognitive one in the minds which controlled that energy.
“All things exist in three Realms, Gaotona. Physical, Cognitive, Spiritual. The Physical is what we feel, what is before us. The Cognitive is how an object is viewed and how it views itself. The Spiritual Realm contains an object’s soul—its essence—as well as the ways it is connected to the things and people around it.”

Brandon.

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

Afraid not. Aon Mea references the expanded region within which the "Elantris Effect" will create Elantrians. The X is fertile valley with a high density of life, a place with a lot of cognitive activity. (Cognitive as defined by Realmatic Theory includes the 'thoughts' of all things that exist, not just human beings. The more complex the life form, the stronger its presence on the Cognitive Realm.)

I asked him if it was possible to enter or exit Shadesmar in interplanetary space.

Brandon Sanderson

He laughed nervously for several seconds with a look that suggested "Uh-oh!" and replied (as best as I can remember):

I would say no. The Cognitive Realm does exist there, but Shadesmar is a special case.

To use Feruchemy or Allomancy in almost every case, one must have the right spiritual and genetic codes, imprinted upon people during the creation of Scadrial by Ati and Leras. To use Hemalurgy, one must first have someone with these right spiritual and genetic codes, then take the power from them. Other people on other worlds are not going to simply discover the Three Metallic Arts by accident.
Ok. The gemhearts/stormgems/whatever that are grown inside the beasts in Way of Kings ... is that the same as the way Atium is grown inside geodes in the Pits of Hathsin?

Brandon Sanderson

It's similar. The pits are an area where there's like a leak from the spiritual realm into the physical. That's what happens there.

Green Hoodie Mistborn

Is there any relation between the smoke that is emitted when a Shardblade cuts somebody and the smoke that Nightblood emits in Warbreaker?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is. You've been...are you a 17th Sharder?

Brandon Sanderson

Preservation, as a Shard, is about preserving life, people, and the like. Not about self. No more than Ruin is about destroying self, or Cultivation is about growing herself.

Ars Arcanum, Alloy of Law.

Allomancy is the most common of the three. It is end-positive, according to my terminology, meaning

that the practitioner draws in power from an external source. The body then filters it into various forms.

(The actual outlet of the power is not chosen by the practitioner, but instead is hardwritten into their

Spiritweb.) The key to drawing this power comes in the form of various types of metals, with specific

compositions being required. Though the metal is consumed in the process, the power itself doesn’t

actually come from the metal. The metal is a catalyst, you might say, that begins an Investiture and keeps

it running.

Edited by Nepene

Marvelous! You really do have the uncanny ability to find quotes....

I almost feel like that should be a topic unto it's own - marked and pinned so that it stays up top and easy to find.

I had thought about stealing it, but my inner-voice screamed "plagiarism" and I felt the strong and sudden urge to wash my mouth out with soap. :P

Nepene, could you please put in sources for those Brandon quotes? I haven't seen a lot of those and would love to see the context around them, even if it's just a question, and it also indicates interviews I haven't read yet, and would therefore really like to. I ask because I'm horrendous at finding things on the Internet.

• Chaos locked this topic