Mysterious death in Way of Kings

Juggernaut

In this interview, Brandon said that there is a "mysterious death in Way of Kings that could use some resources devoted to it." I've only read Way of Kings once at this point, and I can't think of any deaths that could be classified as mysterious. Does anyone have some light to shed on this? And then perhaps we can get to devoting some resources. :P

My only thought is Tien. We never actually saw him die. But his death never seemed terribly mysterious to me.

I am pretty sure the death is Gavilar. He dies for apparently no reason, and he's an extremely important person. There are many questions about his death that need to be answered.

Why on Earth is he dead?

What happened because of it?

Qui Bono? (Who benefits?)

Why do it after the treaty's been signed?

What is the Darksphere that Gavilar has that Szeth takes?

I am pretty sure the death is Gavilar. He dies for apparently no reason, and he's an extremely important person. There are many questions about his death that need to be answered.

Why on Earth is he dead?

What happened because of it?

Qui Bono? (Who benefits?)

Why do it after the treaty's been signed?

What is the Darksphere that Gavilar has that Szeth takes?

You mean, "Why on Roshar is he dead?"

I don't think  he meant Galivar, it seems to me like Brandon doesn't expect most people to pick up on the death being important, Galivar's death is obviously important, since it pretty much set in motion the entire book and the characters spend a lot of time talking about why it happened. It's too obvious.

Shallan's brother's death was basically mentioned in a  couple of lines, which means it's easy to overlook.

She calls it the fruit of her most terrible act, which makes me think the Blade was her father's and she took it from him after killing him by surprise. If she had it before, or got it somewhere else after she probably wouldn't have thought it was the fruit of her most terrible act, there aren't a lot of things more terrible then killing your own father.

She was drawing a picture of a man in a pool of blood, if that was her dad then we know he wasn't killed with a Shardblade cause Shardblades don't draw blood when they kill.

I have to go with Helaren as the mysterious death.

Galivar's death is mysterious, but it's an obvious mystery that at least a few people in-world are actively investigating.

Tien's death is not remotely mysterious, more's the pity.

Shallan's father's death is mysterious to us, but Shallan seems to know what happened.  I think we can safely assume that the details will be revealed in the book focused on Shallan.

But Helaren's death?  Comes from nowhere.  Given what his father was mixed up in, it probably does deserve more attention.

Her oldest brother, the only one that their father confided in.  He was also the only one to stand up to their father.  What about their father?  His death is mysterious.  How did he get a shardblade, only to be killed by Shallan?

Her father's is slightly mysterious, but not really mysterious in the same way as Asmodean's, which was the topic at hand when he mentioned it.

Her brother's, on the other hand, is simply thrown out as a tidbit that is never really explored again.

• 2 weeks later...

Her oldest brother, the only one that their father confided in.  He was also the only one to stand up to their father.  What about their father?  His death is mysterious.  How did he get a shardblade, only to be killed by Shallan?

I always assumed that there was some kind of abusive relationship between Shallan and her father or perhaps her father and all his children, one of them is clearly a psychopath. Perhaps that is what her brother stood up to and the reason she killed him.

Shallan's dad abused his sons, although he apparently was fond of Shallan and didn't even get mad at her very much.

But apparently Shallan eventually got mad enough at her dad for abusing her brothers to kill him for it. Was probably because of Nan Balat's leg injury, which was bad enough that he almost lost the leg and did get permanent damage.

• Chaos locked this topic