Does Hoid have a Seon

bunyip99

While re-reading Elantris, I came to the part where Sarene is talking to her father via Seon, and Eventeo mentions that he knows about Iadon's death because he has recently sent new spies to Arelon.

Sarene muses that the spy must have a Seon for Eventeo to have found out so quickly.

I know there is no hard evidence here, but I reckon that it would fit Hoids character to be a spy, while it also might answer what form of investiture he gathered whilst on Sel.

It's in chapter 35 of the ebook if anyone is interested.(I don't know how to provide a quote yet).

If this has been noted before please ignore me, I couldn't find anything about this though.

While re-reading Elantris, I came to the part where Sarene is talking to her father via Seon, and Eventeo mentions that he knows about Iadon's death because he has recently sent new spies to Arelon.

Sarene muses that the spy must have a Seon for Eventeo to have found out so quickly.

I know there is no hard evidence here, but I reckon that it would fit Hoids character to be a spy, while it also might answer what form of investiture he gathered whilst on Sel.

It's in chapter 35 of the ebook if anyone is interested.(I don't know how to provide a quote yet).

If this has been noted before please ignore me, I couldn't find anything about this though.

Huh.

Interesting idea; I haven't read Elantris, so I can't comment on it either way. My only caveat would be that Felt maybe seems a bit more appropriate for the "spy" position; we know he served that function in Mistborn, at least.

In the annotations, Brandon actually says that Torina (that's how its spelled, right? Haven't read Elantris for a while) is Eventeo's spy. He originally had her revealing this, but then scaled back the Brandalanche.

Hoid could still have a Seon though.

Here's the quote from the Annotations. Elantris spoilers, obviously.

So. . .in the original draft, Torena is Eventeo’s new spy in Arelon. Do you remember the conversation that Sarene and Eventeo had a little ways back? The one where he told her he had a new spy in Arelon, and refused to tell Sarene who it is? Well, yes. Torena.

When I was writing this book, I went a little bit too far with the hidden pasts and amazing discoveries. I had Torena being the one who came to rescue Sarene from the Dakhor. (She arrived in a second carriage, I think.) However, the Dakhor caught up to them again, and suddenly Kiin appeared to save them.

This scene was terrible. It’s not that any of the pieces were bad. It’s just that it was too repetitive. First you find out Torena has a secret past, and that she’s come to rescue Sarene. Then we find out that Kiin has a secret past and he’s come to rescue Sarene. It just didn’t work–and the Torena surprise, which was only mildly foreshadowed, ruined the much better Kiin surprise.

So, I cut the Torena parts–and I’m very glad that I did. My early alpha readers said that the worst part about the book was how all of the surprises at the end interfered with each other. Looking back, some of the things I did are embarrassing. I was adding surprises just for the sake of surprises. This is always a bad idea–surprises should be integral to plot and character, just like everything else. We want to find out about Kiin because we like him and are interested in him. We don’t really care about Torena.

(In my defense, I originally intended Torena to be a female friend for Sarene, kind of a second sidekick. However, there were already too many people hanging out with Sarene, and I just couldn’t work Torena in without complicating things even further.)

Edited by 18th Shard

According to the Elantris annotations, Eventeo's spy is Torena. Apparently Brandon decided not to reveal the spy in the book because it interfered with the other reveals.

I guess since this was never explicitly stated nor foretold in the book, Brandon is free to change who the spy really was. So it might be possible he'll discard his original plan and make Hoid Eventeo's spy in the Elantris sequel. I don't think this is likely, though.

Edit: Ninja'd by 18th Shard!

Edited by skaa

According to the Elantris annotations, Eventeo's spy is Torena. Apparently Brandon decided not to reveal the spy in the book because it interfered with the other reveals.

I guess since this was never explicitly stated nor foretold in the book, Brandon is free to change who the spy really was. So it might be possible he'll discard his original plan and make Hoid Eventeo's spy in the Elantris sequel. I don't think this is likely, though.Edit: Ninja'd by 18th Shard!

In the annotations, Brandon actually says that Torina (that's how its spelled, right? Haven't read Elantris for a while) is Eventeo's spy. He originally had her revealing this, but then scaled back the Brandalanche.

Hoid could still have a Seon though.

Here's the quote from the Annotations. Elantris spoilers, obviously.

So. . .in the original draft, Torena is Eventeo’s new spy in Arelon. Do you remember the conversation that Sarene and Eventeo had a little ways back? The one where he told her he had a new spy in Arelon, and refused to tell Sarene who it is? Well, yes. Torena.

When I was writing this book, I went a little bit too far with the hidden pasts and amazing discoveries. I had Torena being the one who came to rescue Sarene from the Dakhor. (She arrived in a second carriage, I think.) However, the Dakhor caught up to them again, and suddenly Kiin appeared to save them.

This scene was terrible. It’s not that any of the pieces were bad. It’s just that it was too repetitive. First you find out Torena has a secret past, and that she’s come to rescue Sarene. Then we find out that Kiin has a secret past and he’s come to rescue Sarene. It just didn’t work–and the Torena surprise, which was only mildly foreshadowed, ruined the much better Kiin surprise.

So, I cut the Torena parts–and I’m very glad that I did. My early alpha readers said that the worst part about the book was how all of the surprises at the end interfered with each other. Looking back, some of the things I did are embarrassing. I was adding surprises just for the sake of surprises. This is always a bad idea–surprises should be integral to plot and character, just like everything else. We want to find out about Kiin because we like him and are interested in him. We don’t really care about Torena.

(In my defense, I originally intended Torena to be a female friend for Sarene, kind of a second sidekick. However, there were already too many people hanging out with Sarene, and I just couldn’t work Torena in without complicating things even further.)

No, your right, I don't think it likely either but it would have been pretty cool.

I guess I just recognised the foreshadowing.

Now I'm off to read the annotations

Hang on a minute!

Eventeo says that Sarene doesn't know "him", referring the the spy. So, either he is lying to make it harder for Sarene to find who it is, or Brandon has changed the storyline.

I'm going hold out hope for this theory just a little longer.

Edited by bunyip99

Maybe they use a language where pronouns are gender neutral and it was assumed the spy was male so that was how it got translated? These mistakes do happen.

Joking aside, it is very possible for Eventeo to be lying and its possible that Brandon decided Torena wouldn't be the spy. At the moment, it can probably be however you want to view it, but maybe it will be reveled later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic