Shinovar

Mailliw73

This is kind of like the chicken and the egg riddle, but which came first Shinivar or the rest of Roshar? Shinivar is much like earth and is very fertile, did all of Roshar begin like that or was Shinovar somehow changed? Or maybe they both started like that?

Well given that the assumption is that the Highstorms blew away any dirt I'd have to say it was probably all like that for a while since the Highstorms are probably Shardic in some manner so the Shattering would have had to happen first.

We know the planets predate the breakup of Adalnauseum (joke).

Healthy dirt is not really an element, but rather a complex blend of organic, inorganic and living components. The crem might be worse for the dirt than the terrible storms every few days. The crem seems to aggregate to form an impermeable layer that would hide and kill any soil underneath.

So the question becomes: "When did the crem start coming down? Maybe the answer depends on whether you think crem has a Shardic origin. While I can imagine a rift to the spiritual realm allowing stormlight to leak into the physical (not sure of the name here) realm, it is harder for me to imagine where the crem comes from.

If crem isn't coming out of the ground somehow at the origin, Roshar must be gaining in mass with every highstorm. For crem to be natural, it would have to somehow be continually injected into the sky from the ground. I guess volcanoes could do it, but I haven't seen signs of that yet.

Adalnauseum (joke).

Bwahahahahahaha. Good one :)

If crem isn't coming out of the ground somehow at the origin, Roshar must be gaining in mass with every highstorm. For crem to be natural, it would have to somehow be continually injected into the sky from the ground. I guess volcanoes could do it, but I haven't seen signs of that yet.

Crem is coming from the ground. It is abraded and scoured from the surface rock in every Highstorm. Wind and water erosion combined on a massive scale in regular short bursts.

This is kind of like the chicken and the egg riddle, but which came first Shinivar or the rest of Roshar? Shinivar is much like earth and is very fertile, did all of Roshar begin like that or was Shinovar somehow changed? Or maybe they both started like that?

Given the Vorin belief that Humanity came from elsewhere [The Tranquilline Halls] and Sandersons tendancy for there to be a core of truth to any religon he mentions, I would suggest we might assume that the entire Shinovar ecology is imported, along with at least one of the various races described as human.

The more general Rosharan ecology seems more detailed than the one that was created on Scaladriel and so might be assumed to be native.

That of course depends on what the High Storms actually are.

• Chaos locked this topic